The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Show Only Available Projects (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16086)

invictus26 2010-04-30 05:59 AM

Show Only Available Projects

I like to do a daily review to flag some tasks for the day, but my review perspective is crowded with projects that have no available actions. I would like to be able to show only available projects, i.e. those with available actions in a perspective. Am I missing some way to do this? Or is this a feature I should request? Does anyone do something similar?

curt.clifton 2010-04-30 09:19 AM

I do a similar thing, but use context mode for my review. Would it help you to review in context mode showing available actions, grouped by project?

invictus26 2010-04-30 12:23 PM

I tried context mode, and it still showed unavailable projects (those that have no actions). I guess this is because of the new 1.8 features. Also, I really want to be able to group by review because I have different review schedules for each project and I only want to deal with those that are up for review today.

whpalmer4 2010-04-30 04:41 PM

Are you using OmniFocus' built-in review support (group by next review, Mark Project Reviewed button, etc.)? I have a perspective to review Stalled projects, which I use first, catching all the projects with no available actions and either completing them, adding some actions, or putting them on hold -- thus eliminating them from sight in the rest of the review. Then I march through the active projects which have a next review date of today or earlier, again using a project view grouped by next review. As I review, I can tweak the next review date and/or the review period on a project-by-project basis so that the right projects get the bulk of my attention. If I see something that would be particularly good to work on in the next day or two, I'll flag that project or select actions.

invictus26 2010-05-03 08:04 AM

Yes, I use essentially the built in review perspective. I do have a stalled project perspective as well, but the problem with looking at that first is that most of my "stalled" projects are just blocked by a next action with a future start date. There's really nothing I can do with projects like that. I don't want to put it on hold because it really is active, just not yet available. That's why I would like the distinction between active and available for projects.

Indivio 2011-05-23 06:20 PM

The solution is in preferences

I had this very same problem and couldn't figure out how to solve it. Finally, I looked under Preferences, Data. At the very bottom, there is a checkbox -
In Context Mode: Show Projects and Action Groups.

This was checked. I unchecked it and voilą all the empty projects disappeared from both Context Mode and Available Perspective.

I know this reply is a year later, but hopefully it helps someone :)