The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Other WebDAV (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Mountain Lion Server 10.8 for WebDAV (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=28826)

sfmacintosh 2013-03-22 01:34 PM

Mountain Lion Server 10.8 for WebDAV

Hi all;

I just set up a Mountain Lion server (10.8.3) and set up a new WebDAV share called 'omnifocus'. I used the 'Replace Server Database menu selection in Omnifocus' and I can see that the files are copying over to the server correctly.

However Omnifocus attempts a WebDAV MOVE command at the end of the copy procedure and fails. Here is the error:

[I]The <insert hostname here> server returned "forbidden" (403) in response to a request to "MOVE /omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-lkKwqGHpIHc/20130322212522=nt2K6qx9lGT.client-write-in-progress-lEf14_IO7rc".[/I]

Once the MOVE command fails, the OmniFocus.ofocus file appears to be deleted automatically.

Is there a conf file that manages the types of commands that are allowed through WebDAV?

sfmacintosh 2013-03-22 01:51 PM

I was successful in syncing using my home directory and no changes to the WebDAV configuration. The location of the WebDAV share 'omnifocus' that I was attempting to use is on a second HDD and perhaps the mapping doesn't work when there is a space in the name (Internal Storage). Even though there is a space in 'Macintosh HD', the call is to the root directory '/'... this is the only thing I can come up with. I'd prefer to have the Omnifocus data on the 2nd drive, but this is working.

gctwnl 2013-04-23 01:08 AM

Please Omni, help us out on this one?

Moving to the / drive from a second HDD did not solve it for me. Nor did changing ownership of all files to _www:_www (as they were under 10.6.8 Server when this was working) solve it. Nor did adding all kinds of permissive ACLs.

I keep having that same error on syncing.

Please, please, Omni, can you tell us how to set up WebDAV on OS X 10.8 Server so we can sync our various OmniFocus applications (I have purchased all three) using WebDAV?

Ken Case 2013-04-23 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=gctwnl;122944]Please, please, Omni, can you tell us how to set up WebDAV on OS X 10.8 Server so we can sync our various OmniFocus applications (I have purchased all three) using WebDAV?[/QUOTE]

Starting with a freshly created server which has no services enabled yet, here are the steps I followed in Server.app to get a new WebDAV share set up for use with OmniFocus:
[LIST=1][*]Select “Services : File Sharing” in the left sidebar.
[*]Flip the master switch in the top right corner from Off to On.
[*]Click + to add a shared folder (as the screen suggests), and on the resulting dialog:[LIST][*]Click New Folder and enter a name (I'm using “OmniFocus Test”).[*]Click on the newly created folder.[*]Click Choose.[/LIST][I]In the list of Share Points, I now see a share point for the new folder.[/I]
[*]Double-click on the new share point to edit it:
[LIST][*]Under Access, change all the permissions to Read & Write.[*]Under Settings, check “Share with iOS devices (WebDAV)” and uncheck everything else.[*]Click Done.[/LIST][/LIST]
Back in OmniFocus:[LIST=1][*]Configure sync settings:[LIST][*]Open Sync Preferences and choose Advanced.[*]Set the sync location to point at your new server. (I used “[url]https://ghostwheel.local/OmniFocus%20Test/[/url]”. If I hadn't put that space in my folder name, I wouldn't have had to encode it here with the %20.)[/LIST][*]Start syncing:[LIST][*]Press the Sync Now button.[*]When prompted to verify the server's self-signed certificate:[LIST][*]Click “Show Certificate” to see more options.[*]Check the option to always trust the new server so you don't get prompted to verify the certificate every time you sync.[*]Press Continue.[/LIST][I]If this dialog prompts for authentication to change your certificate trust settings, you'll need to enter your local password rather than your server account's password.[/I]
[*]When prompted for server authentication:[LIST][*]Enter a valid username and password for the server. (I entered the server admin's name and password since I hadn't yet set up any other accounts on this new server.)[*]Check the “Remember in Keychain” option so you're asked this every time you sync.[*]Press the OK button.[/LIST][/LIST][/LIST]
With that, I started successfully syncing OmniFocus using my new Mountain Lion Server.

If this doesn't work for you, then my advice is to check the error logs on your server to see if they have any details about the problem. (In Server.app, select “Server : Logs” in the sidebar, then use the popup at the bottom of the log to view other log files.)

Hope this helps!

[I]P.S. — I was also able to use this new server to sync OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, and OmniGraphSketcher using our current test builds of OmniPresence—we've eliminated our dependency on ETags over the last few weeks, so we no longer require custom patches to Apache to host an OmniPresence synced folder.[/I]

gctwnl 2013-04-24 01:18 AM

Ken, thanks for the instructions.

This was almost what I did before with the following exceptions:
- Create the folder first before making it a share point
- not setting read/write for everybody (but trying to add ACLs or POSIX permissions)

I did the above. I created a share point via Server.app New. When I sync to this I get:

No document exists at "https://foo.rna.nl/OmniFocus-gerben/OmniFocus.ofocus/".

It seems the initial sync fails.

I am able to mount the sharepoint using the finder.

I tried copying my existing OmniFocus.ofocus to that SharePoint when mounted in the Finder. That works. But then the old MOVE Forbidden 403 error returns on syncing.

When I mount the sharepoint I cannot rename the OmniFocus.ofocus bundle. First it asks me for administrator privileges, then it fails.

gctwnl 2013-04-24 02:35 AM

I tried to find information on my particular WebDAV behaviour, where the OmniFocus.ofocus bundle behaves differently from another folder here:

[url]https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4992067[/url]

I assume that I need to find out what makes the OmniFocus.ofocus bundle behave differently from another directory created.

gctwnl 2013-04-24 05:46 AM

[QUOTE=gctwnl;123022]I tried to find information on my particular WebDAV behaviour, where the OmniFocus.ofocus bundle behaves differently from another folder here:

[url]https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4992067[/url]

I assume that I need to find out what makes the OmniFocus.ofocus bundle behave differently from another directory created.[/QUOTE]
[B]Solution for OmniFocus users[/B]: don't create a WebDAV SharePoint with any substring from 'OmniFocus.ofocus' in the name (as obvious that may be, e.g. 'OmniFocus' as name for the WebDAV) because if you do, any file on that WebDAV with that substring in its name becomes unreliable as the Apple-generated rewrite rules play havoc with it.

In general: Apple's WebDAV setup/config plays havoc with file or directory names on a WebDAV that have the WebDAV name as part of their name.