The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Consistency among project-status choices (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4727)

soundsgoodtome 2007-09-01 06:32 PM

Consistency among project-status choices

In the project filter, we have these 6 options:

All Projects
Active Projects
Pending Projects
On-Hold Projects [should be hyphenated] :-)
Dropped Projects
Completed Projects

But when using the inspector on a project, there are only 4 options:

Active, On Hold, Completed, and Dropped. "Pending" is missing. Shouldn't "Pending" also be among the choices in the inspector? What attributes currently cause a project to be marked "Pending"?

Craig 2007-09-02 04:09 AM

[QUOTE=soundsgoodtome;20407]What attributes currently cause a project to be marked "Pending"?[/QUOTE]

Setting a future start date for the project, I believe.

curt.clifton 2007-09-02 04:49 AM

From the August 30 MOTD:
[LIST][*]Active Projects: Projects that have a start date that has passed OR Projects that don't have a start date set[*]Pending Projects: Projects that have a start date that has NOT passed[/LIST]
Although unstated in the MOTD, both Active and Pending filters only show projects whose state is "Active".

The term "Active" now means two different things. For the project state it means not on-hold, not dropped, and not completed. For the filter it means all that, plus started. I really like the new functionality, but I suspect a different word is needed to replace one of the current uses of "Active".

The OS X thesaurus offers up:
[QUOTE]
operative, working, functioning, functional, operating, operational, in action, in operation, running; live
[/QUOTE]

Operative has the right connotation, but is a little stuffy. I kind of like "Live". So a project's state could be On-hold, Dropped, Completed, or Live. The filters would be All, Active, Pending, All Live (a new one), On-hold, Dropped, and Completed.

sprugman 2007-09-02 12:09 PM

If I'm not mistaken, right now the pending filter includes active and pending (i.e. "Live"). I'd probably like a "reviewable" filter, which would be live + on hold.

curt.clifton 2007-09-02 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=sprugman;20466]If I'm not mistaken, right now the pending filter includes active and pending (i.e. "Live"). I'd probably like a "reviewable" filter, which would be live + on hold.[/QUOTE]

It was that way for awhile, but not in the current builds. I prefer that they are separate.

I suggested earlier allowing multi-selects in the view bar options. That would allow us create perspectives showing live + on-hold. It would also let us show active + pending, but there should probably be a view that corresponds directly to the projects' states. So, I still think a "live" view would be good.

sprugman 2007-09-03 07:39 AM

Oh. Guess I'm a couple of versions behind.