The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Auto-close tab drawer option (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8382)

Handycam 2008-07-02 06:05 PM

Auto-close tab drawer option

There should be an option to only show the tab drawer when needed, i.e. when there is more than one tab open.

Every other browser has an option to show the tab bar (in their cases) always or only when needed.

The drawer would be less annoying to me if it slid closed when I am down to 1 tab.

Having it as an option would satisfy those who like to manually close it.

marc 2008-09-09 08:40 AM

+1 :)

FWIW I've requested this before, hopefully the devs see value in such a behaviour.

sangheeta 2008-09-09 09:43 AM

+1

I was thinking about a "close other tab and tab drawer" shortcut in the past, but an automatic "show/hide tab panel" should be great!

Handycam 2008-09-09 10:59 AM

Yes. Why is this so hard to get? Seems like a natural.

marlwin 2008-09-14 07:07 PM

I don't like how the drawer close currently, I want the window to take all of the screen when the drawer is hidden. But this behavior is broken most of the time. I am no programmer but I think this is a limitation of drawers, so I guess if OmniWeb goes sidebar (what I really hope) it will be easier to fix.

Anyway you got my vote. But it will make sense only if it behave right. I don't want just an empty space in place of the drawer.

Handycam 2008-09-15 05:05 AM

[QUOTE=marlwin;47160]Anyway you got my vote. But it will make sense only if it behave right. I don't want just an empty space in place of the drawer.[/QUOTE]

No, what I am asking for is even if nothing changes about how the tab drawer works, I'd like it to nicely slide shut after I close the last tab.

I don't want a drawer with only one tab in it, unless I set my prefs that way (like in FF, Safari, Opera).

Floach 2008-09-15 08:22 AM

I agree. This drives me a bit nuts. I could actually cope with the huge thumbnail tabs (which I don't particularly care for) if the drawer would slide shut when there was only one tab open.

Handycam 2008-09-15 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Floach;47185]I agree. This drives me a bit nuts. I could actually cope with the huge thumbnail tabs (which I don't particularly care for) if the drawer would slide shut when there was only one tab open.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what he said!

marlwin 2008-09-15 04:04 PM

"I don't want a drawer with only one tab in it, unless I set my prefs that way (like in FF, Safari, Opera)."

I agree, but If I can gain space too I think it's better. That's how safari behave, you gain vertical space. I know I'm talking of two subjects at the same time.

Handycam 2008-09-15 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=marlwin;47212]I agree, but If I can gain space too I think it's better. That's how safari behave, you gain vertical space. I know I'm talking of two subjects at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Not to minimize your valid request, but there are many threads about the configuration and appearance of tabs.

I wanted to just request the simple closing of the drawer (for now)

OmniGuy 2008-09-23 10:01 AM

+1

Good idea.

Mr. H 2008-09-26 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=marc;46869]+1 :)

FWIW I've requested this before, hopefully the devs see value in such a behaviour.[/QUOTE]

+1

Yup, I requested this a long time ago too (when 5 first came out). It'd be so easy for them to do it as well; 'tis very annoying that it still hasn't happened.

Mr. H 2008-09-26 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=marlwin;47160]I don't like how the drawer close currently, I want the window to take all of the screen when the drawer is hidden. But this behavior is broken most of the time. I am no programmer but I think this is a limitation of drawers, so I guess if OmniWeb goes sidebar (what I really hope) it will be easier to fix.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not a limitation of drawers. I don't know what the problem you're having is, because this is what OmniWeb's drawer does for me when OmniWeb is taking up the full screen:

[URL="http://www.assj59.dsl.pipex.com/omniweb_drawer.mov"]http://www.assj59.dsl.pipex.com/omniweb_drawer.mov[/URL]

danielandrews 2009-03-06 06:03 PM

count me as a +1 for this feature request.

JKT 2009-03-07 05:21 AM

Fwiw, from the release notes for the current 5.9.1 sneakypeeks:

[I]If the tab drawer was automatically opened when you created multiple tabs, it will now automatically close when you return to a single tab. (Update: The tab drawer now redraws its contents before closing, providing visual feedback that the window has returned to a single tab.)[/I]

Handycam 2009-03-07 02:49 PM

Yes, awesome!

BigWheel 2009-04-19 07:56 PM

Could we get an Option I find this rediculously annoying. I have my workspace window size saved with the tab drawer open and always want it to stay that way even with one tab. Does it being saved in that way not count as opening intentionally?

All I want is a check box "[x] Tab Drawer Always Open"

GeneralAntilles 2009-04-20 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=BigWheel;58774]Could we get an Option I find this rediculously annoying. I have my workspace window size saved with the tab drawer open and always want it to stay that way even with one tab. Does it being saved in that way not count as opening intentionally?

All I want is a check box "[x] Tab Drawer Always Open"[/QUOTE]

+1

I find this feature to be more of a bug for my usage.

troyb 2009-04-20 09:12 AM

If you open the tab drawer manually it will not close automatically. (It only closes by itself if it opened by itself).

You may have to reset the snapshot of your workspace if this isn't working correctly.

Michael Haensel 2009-05-15 06:34 PM

Turn off auto-close tab drawer

OK, now that the other users are happy, how do I turn the flippin' self-closing drawer OFF?

I frequently have the situation where I open several tabs from a main window, work through the tabs, then want to drag more from the main window on the drawer. Just when I want it, the drawer GOES AWAY, often from right under my mouse.

Omniweb's old behavior was one of the things I liked about it. Is there a preference item for this? Even a hidden one would be fine.

Ken Case 2009-05-15 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Michael Haensel;59894]I frequently have the situation where I open several tabs from a main window, work through the tabs, then want to drag more from the main window on the drawer. Just when I want it, the drawer GOES AWAY, often from right under my mouse.

Omniweb's old behavior was one of the things I liked about it. Is there a preference item for this? Even a hidden one would be fine.[/QUOTE]

The drawer will stay open if you open the drawer explicitly, either by clicking on the Drawer button in the toolbar or by using the menu item View->Show Tabs (keyboard shortcut Option-Command-T). OmniWeb only auto-closes the drawer when it was auto-opened.

Does that help?

Michael Haensel 2009-05-15 10:42 PM

Help?

Thanks for clarifying, but I understand the new behavior. It's just annoying. A hidden preference would be appropriate here. Maybe for 5.9.3? In the meantime I guess I'll go back to a previous version.

JKT 2009-05-16 02:01 AM

I've got to agree with Michael, I've tried to get used to the new behaviour but it is just annoying. I'd much prefer the older behaviour too.

Handycam 2009-05-16 04:26 AM

The new behavior is awesome, but you expected me to say that. Makes the dumb drawer almost bearable. Please do NOT revert it.

That being said I always requested it as a pref similar to other browsers' "always show tab bar" for those who want it open always.

JKT 2009-05-16 06:20 AM

I'd be perfectly happy with a hidden preference to return to the old behaviour, but an "Always show tab drawer" preference would be fine too.

Personally, I would also like an "Always show toolbar and status bar" option too... getting tired of sites that spawn windows without them.

Ken Case 2009-05-18 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=Michael Haensel;59900]Thanks for clarifying, but I understand the new behavior. It's just annoying. A hidden preference would be appropriate here. Maybe for 5.9.3? In the meantime I guess I'll go back to a previous version.[/QUOTE]

There's a new TabDrawerClosesAutomatically hidden default in today's 5.10 sneaky peek build.

JKT 2009-05-18 09:17 AM

Indeed there is, thanks!

Michael Haensel 2009-05-21 03:57 PM

Thank you!

Thank you [B]very much[/B]! This way fans of the old behavior can stay happy, but you have the (possibly more consistent) new behavior for new users.

frankiec 2009-05-24 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;59998]There's a new TabDrawerClosesAutomatically hidden default in today's 5.10 sneaky peek build.[/QUOTE]
Thank you.