The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My tabs idea (with a picture!) (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9743)

OmniGuy 2008-09-03 07:26 PM

My tabs idea (with a picture!)

Tab organization!

Here's the pic:
[url]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2826272769_888b79f08c_o.png[/url]

I open tabs like crazy. With plenty of them open, OmniWeb should be able to sort and group related tabs automatically.

Mark 2008-09-08 10:23 PM

good idea +1

OmniGuy 2008-09-09 08:51 PM

Thanks!

Althoguth, it maybe more appropriate to call it 'Nested Tabs' instead of 'Hierarchal Tabs'.

Meh, same difference I guess.

Handycam 2008-09-10 11:36 AM

No thanks.

I don't see why people need so many damn tabs open. I can usually get everything done with 4 or 5. The rest is for bookmarks.

rzigweid 2008-09-11 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Handycam;46932]No thanks.

I don't see why people need so many damn tabs open. I can usually get everything done with 4 or 5. The rest is for bookmarks.[/QUOTE]

Eh, for me it depends. I would spend a lot more time navigating if I was limited to 4 or 5 tabs. I keep that many windows open generally. (Windows are for separating tasks, a lot of my work is researching things on the web).

So, I keep one window for general non-work things, reading forums here, there wherever. Sometimes there are several tabs open for a specific site for various threads or subforums I want to keep an eye on. When I google, the original search result page is a tab, then I open tabs for the various interesting results that I find. I abuse tabs fully. As I type this, I probably have 50 or so open.

I keep another window for documents on a certain thing I'm doing at the moment (generally specifications).

With that said, I'm not so much in favour of this idea. Anywhere I would utilize the hierarchy like that, I'd be more likely to open up another window for it.

whpalmer4 2008-09-11 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Handycam;46932]No thanks.

I don't see why people need so many damn tabs open. I can usually get everything done with 4 or 5. The rest is for bookmarks.[/QUOTE]
I often have 200+ tabs open in a given workspace (243 at the moment). I spend a lot of time away from internet access, so OW's ability to keep track of what I had open last time is a big boon. I can load up quite a bit of reading material for various projects and work on it during what would otherwise be unproductive time. For example, I've got 40 or 50 different tabs right now full of recipes that I'm contemplating for dinner over the next month or two. Probably 80% of them won't be used, so I don't want to go to the trouble of saving them to disk and having to clean them up later. I switched to OmniWeb primarily because I like the way it handles this working style.

I tend to organize my tabs by using separate windows. Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough to see how wonderful this proposal would be, but I'm not sure I'd get a lot of mileage out of some sort of automatic organization scheme.

Schlaefer 2008-09-14 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;47000]I often have 200+ tabs open in a given workspace (243 at the moment). [/QUOTE]

And you got a TB of RAM in your Mac … how? ;)

I like the idea, but alas OW is already a memory hog with only 15 tabs open.

whpalmer4 2008-09-14 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=Schlaefer;47122]And you got a TB of RAM in your Mac … how? ;)

I like the idea, but alas OW is already a memory hog with only 15 tabs open.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, it makes my little Macbook (2 GB RAM) a bit sluggish at times. But if the alternative is that for a substantial fraction of the day I can only work on projects that both don't need internet access and don't need more disk space than I have available on my internal HD, I'll take the sluggishness. It mostly manifests itself when switching to another app that wants to be a memory hog, and whenever I start or close OmniWeb (starting it has to fetch a couple dozen MB of data to fill those tabs, closing I have no idea why it takes so long). I do block out some time each day to try to whittle down the tab count, but it seems like every 3rd tab has links to 7 more topics of interest :-)

marlwin 2008-09-14 06:54 PM

It rejoins this idea
[url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9674[/url]

I don't like to have scrollbar in the tabs drawer, that kills usability. The flaw is when you have a long history in your tab. Scroll, scroll... no, no. I'll prefer a kind of shortcut à la exposé to browse my tab history (just a rough idea), something more temporary and non-intrusive.

Grail 2008-09-16 08:15 PM

Stuff that I want to work on later goes to Delicious (tagged with "todo" and the project name).

Stuff I want to have available offline gets printed to PDF and saved in my "Pending" folder.

When researching something through eg: Google, I have a separate window for each research task. Each tab represents something I need to have open at the time. As above, if it's something I need to read, I print to PDF.

Where the picture shows nested groups of tabs, that's where I would split stuff out to a new window. Exposé becomes much more useful to me when I can use it to navigate around a collection of documents within an application this way. Sometimes, I even open up Safari (and as a desperate measure, Firefox too) so I have more Exposé "space" to move my documents between. I don't use Leopard yet, but I imagine that using Spaces instead of separate browser applications would allow me to continue to use the spatial navigation of Exposé to substitute for having many windows with dozens of bookmarks.