The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Disable archives? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13724)

lmsboy 2009-09-06 02:28 AM

Disable archives?

Hey there,
why does OF makes archives of old actions? I'll never need them again, they are comleted :D So why is there no option to disable archiving? Or "delete stuff before x" instead "archive before x"?

Toadling 2009-09-06 07:17 AM

Archiving is an optional feature; nothing requires you to use the command.

Why not just delete stuff as you complete it? Or, if you don't want to delete items immediately, collect them in the archive and then just periodically delete them from there.

Having said that, it might not be a bad idea for the option of archiving or deleting old actions using the same mechanism. You should send feedback to Omni to make a feature request (go to Help -> Send Feedback in OmniFocus).

-Dennis

lmsboy 2009-09-06 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Toadling;66236]Archiving is an optional feature; nothing requires you to use the command.

Why not just delete stuff as you complete it? Or, if you don't want to delete items immediately, collect them in the archive and then just periodically delete them from there.

Having said that, it might not be a bad idea for the option of archiving or deleting old actions using the same mechanism. You should send feedback to Omni to make a feature request (go to Help -> Send Feedback in OmniFocus).

-Dennis[/QUOTE]

I check actions as complete and click on clean up - but this is no real delete, or? I mean if I go on "archive" an use something like "archive before 01.09" my database will be smaler after this - so something will be moved from my database to an archive, but what? There's nothing to archive?

I think the completed actions want be deleted, they just "hide" for us and go to an archive - and that's more as stupid. If I choose an action as complete - it is completed and can be "killed" from my database -.-

Toadling 2009-09-06 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;66251]I check actions as complete and click on clean up - but this is no real delete, or?[/QUOTE]

Correct. Marking items as complete does not delete them -- they're just hidden from view in some cases (depending on your view settings).

[QUOTE=lmsboy;66251]I think the completed actions want be deleted, they just "hide" for us and go to an archive - and that's more as stupid. If I choose an action as complete - it is completed and can be "killed" from my database -.-[/QUOTE]

That may be want [I]you[/I] want, but I don't think that's what most users want or expect. Many people, including me, find it useful to be able to refer to completed actions at a later time.

If you're certain that you'll have no need of an item after you're done with it, why not just delete it rather than marking it complete? That's what I do with actions that I don't feel the need to archive or ever reference again.

-Dennis

lmsboy 2009-09-06 10:03 AM

But isn't it delete if I check the as complete and click on "clean up"?

curt.clifton 2009-09-06 10:17 AM

No. It's hide. Watch the [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/"]videos[/URL] to learn more about using the view bar and perspectives. Also try Perspectives → All Items. OF only deletes when you tell it to delete. Completing an item just changes its status.

lmsboy 2009-09-07 02:05 AM

Is there no way to say "delete all completed"? The only ways are to use the archive every x weeks/days or to delete them manually? Really bad -.-

i want to mark them as completed for my overview, after this I just want to push one button for deletion and not for every entry -.-

Greg Jones 2009-09-07 03:15 AM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;66295]Is there no way to say "delete all completed"? The only ways are to use the archive every x weeks/days or to delete them manually? Really bad -.-

i want to mark them as completed for my overview, after this I just want to push one button for deletion and not for every entry -.-[/QUOTE]

1) Switch to Context View
2) Change the view filter to Context Filter> All Contexts, Grouping>Ungrouped, and Status Filter>Completed. You might also want to set Sorting>Completed just in case you want to be able to see tasks ordered by completion date.
3) Select the Contexts icon in the sidebar
4) Create a Perspective of this view so you only have to do the above once. In your saved perspective, make sure that Restore>Selection is checked

Now, every time you want to delete all completed actions, do the following:
1) Select your new 'Delete Completed' perspective
2) Click in the Main outline (right pane) and select all (Command-A)
3) Hit the delete key and you are done.

Note that it is imperative that you only do a select all, delete in the flat mode of the Context view. If you do this in Project mode, with folders and projects displayed in the Main outline, you will also delete all displayed folders and projects.

lmsboy 2009-09-07 10:00 AM

Thank you :)