The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How does the OF licensing work? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6264)

SpiralOcean 2007-12-13 09:09 PM

How does the OF licensing work?

If I have a computer at work & a computer at home... do I purchase two licenses or one?

Tim Wood 2007-12-13 09:51 PM

There's a blurb about this you can view from store.omnigroup.com; click the 'How our electronic licenses work.' link in the "Other Information" box at the bottom of the right sidebar.

But, the text relevant to your question is:

[quote]
For instance, one person with both a laptop and a desktop computer (or, say, a home machine and an office machine) can legally install and use a single license on both computers, though not at the same time.
[/quote]

jasong 2007-12-14 11:48 AM

An additional clarification had been requested on this before, with no resolution: does "not at the same time" apply to the "can install" portion, or just the "can use" portion?

in other words, can I have it installed on two machines, but only use one of them at a time, or can I not have it installed on two machines period?

Ken Case 2007-12-14 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=jasong;28626]in other words, can I have it installed on two machines, but only use one of them at a time, or can I not have it installed on two machines period?[/QUOTE]

You need a license for every person using the software or for every computer using the software (whichever is less). So you can install a single license on two (or more) computers as long as you're the only person using those licenses and you're only using it on one computer at a time.

SpiralOcean 2007-12-15 05:11 AM

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification.

villan 2007-12-16 04:04 AM

Considering all the terrible licensing and DRM implementations out there today, thank you for a system that seems to rely on common sense :)

braindump 2007-12-28 05:14 PM

When adding a license, I'm prompted for the license type (computer or personal). The license I purchased did not make this distinction. Is there a functional difference between these two license types?

Andrew 2007-12-28 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=braindump;29839]When adding a license, I'm prompted for the license type (computer or personal). The license I purchased did not make this distinction. Is there a functional difference between these two license types?[/QUOTE]

This just determines where the license is installed, which in turn controls which user accounts will see the license.

If you install it as a personal license, it gets stored in your user account, so other user accounts won't see and try to use it.

If you install it as a computer license, it gets stored in a shared location, so all user accounts on the computer can find that license and attempt to use it.

Personal licenses are used in preference to Computer licenses, so that person A with a personal license for OmniFocus will use that one, instead of claiming the shared license and thus potentially preventing use by someone who doesn't have a personal license but who could have otherwise used the shared license. This mostly comes in to play with Network licenses, such as at a company with many client computers - if your network is configured in a specific way, you can put the license in a particular place on the network such that client computers will find that network license, rather than forcing you to control licenses installed on a bunch of separate client computers.

-andrew

braindump 2007-12-28 05:49 PM

OK makes sense, but I don't think the UI for license type is very intuitive. I suggest providing some additional information to clarify this either with the purchased license or in the online help for the license interface.

Thanks for your response!

dwayneneckles 2009-10-16 04:00 AM

I could be wrong, so just kindly clarify.

You said that I can only have omnifocus running once on two computers
Lets say I want to sync my work computer with the omnifocus on my personal computer, via network.
I always get the error msg that the other omnifocus needs to be open before I can sync it but if you said that I can only have omnifocus running once on two computers... then that is impossible right?