The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Support multiple keychain entries for a site (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=411)

placebo 2006-05-07 03:18 AM

Support multiple keychain entries for a site

I have several accounts at some sites, like gmail. OmniWeb, however, will auto-fill information for only one account, which is really inconvenient when I want to log in to a different account and defeats the purpose of storing passwords in the keychain. It would be great if OmniWeb would behave like Safari in this regard. Typing the first few letters of the account name would bring up a list of possible matches and selecting one would fill in the proper password.

troyb 2006-05-08 05:15 PM

Supporting multiple bookmarks is something we'd certainly like to add in the future. I can't give a time frame but it probably wont be added before we release OmniWeb 5.5.

jmazzi@gmail.com 2006-07-17 09:01 AM

I would also like to have this feature added.

Nat 2006-07-18 04:32 AM

I think you should work a lot on the form fill code.
OW doesn't work also if you have different password form on different URI of the same site.

troyb 2006-07-18 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=Nat]I think you should work a lot on the form fill code.
OW doesn't work also if you have different password form on different URI of the same site.[/QUOTE]

This is actually for security reasons. We used to only check the domain but decided to stop doing this once potential security holes were pointed out.

Bob Williams 2006-07-18 11:41 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of sites, especially those of major companies, tend to have constantly changing URLs, which presents a problem with OW. On these sites, it's not unusual to see both the 3rd-level domain and the file path change.

I even seem to remember this creating the effect on one or two sites of having multiple username/password combinations stored in the keychain by OW, with the end-effect being that multiple loads of the same page end up with a different login pre-filled each time depending on which server happens to handle your request.

Nat 2006-07-19 01:02 AM

[QUOTE=troyb]This is actually for security reasons. We used to only check the domain but decided to stop doing this once potential security holes were pointed out.[/QUOTE]

Which are the security issues ?
The latest Safari save everything without problems :)

troyb 2006-07-19 09:42 AM

Actually, to my knowledge we behave the same way that Safari and Firefox do. We pay attention to the full domain (including 3rd ,2nd and 1st levels) I don't think the rest of the URL matters.

If you have examples that work in those browsers but don't in OmniWeb feel free to point me at them.

Nat 2006-07-19 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=troyb]Actually, to my knowledge we behave the same way that Safari and Firefox do. We pay attention to the full domain (including 3rd ,2nd and 1st levels) I don't think the rest of the URL matters.

If you have examples that work in those browsers but don't in OmniWeb feel free to point me at them.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but they are internal sites (and the site is SSLed)...
However if should simply to reproduce...
You just need to have two forms on two different folder of the same site which need two different username & password to login.
For example:
[url]www.omnigroup.com/app1[/url] with username1 & password1
[url]www.omnigroup.com/app2[/url] with username2 & password2

Forrest 2006-07-19 02:24 PM

I have two gmail accounts. I tried them both in SP17 and Safari. SP17 reacted just like Safari.

Nat 2006-07-19 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Forrest]I have two gmail accounts. I tried them both in SP17 and Safari. SP17 reacted just like Safari.[/QUOTE]

The problem is when you use two different account on two different forms on the same site and not if you use two different account on the same form

Moreover i think that safari can handle multiple username/password on the same form while OW doesn't

troyb 2006-07-19 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=Nat]
[url]www.omnigroup.com/app1[/url] with username1 & password1
[url]www.omnigroup.com/app2[/url] with username2 & password2[/QUOTE]

I think I may have been getting carried away. The issue you're reporting above, being able to save two passwords for a single site -- what you initially reported -- is something we hope to add in the future.

The issue that I'm rambling on about is where:

[url]https://login.omnigroup.com[/url] -and-
[url]http://anothersite.omnigroup.com[/url]

share passwords with each other. This wont work in OmniWeb, you'll have to save passwords for each site separately.

Bob Williams 2006-07-19 10:47 PM

Closely related, it'd be nice if, every time, we *could* save login information.

I know with one of the recent releases, OW added support for the HTML form property that tells it not to save form logins. (I forget what it is - I never use it because I believe in leaving control in users' hands.) Is there any way to get it to *not* honor that property? My computers are all properly secured, so there's no reason for me not to have the convenience of autofilled logins just because there are users out there who need to be protected from themselves.

afb 2006-07-20 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=Bob Williams]Closely related, it'd be nice if, every time, we *could* save login information.

I know with one of the recent releases, OW added support for the HTML form property that tells it not to save form logins. (I forget what it is - I never use it because I believe in leaving control in users' hands.) Is there any way to get it to *not* honor that property? My computers are all properly secured, so there's no reason for me not to have the convenience of autofilled logins just because there are users out there who need to be protected from themselves.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps this bookmarklet will work in OW to allow you to do this; haven't tried it recently though (and I don't really remember if it ever worked in OW).

[code]
javascript:(function(){var ca,cea,cs,df,dfe,i,j,x,y;function n(i,what){return i+" "+what+((i==1)?"":"s")}ca=cea=cs=0;df=document.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df[i];dfe=x.elements;if(x.onsubmit){x.onsubmit="";++cs;}if(x.attributes["autocomplete"]){x.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";++ca;}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y=dfe[j];if(y.attributes["autocomplete"]){y.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";++cea;}}}alert("Removed autocomplete=off from "+n(ca,"form")+" and from "+n(cea,"form element")+", and removed onsubmit from "+n(cs,"form")+". After you type your password and submit the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.")})();
[/code]

Bob Williams 2006-07-20 09:16 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of that--maybe it was just *too* obvious a workaround. :-)

jmazzi@gmail.com 2006-08-01 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=troyb]I think I may have been getting carried away. The issue you're reporting above, being able to save two passwords for a single site -- what you initially reported -- is something we hope to add in the future.

The issue that I'm rambling on about is where:

[url]https://login.omnigroup.com[/url] -and-
[url]http://anothersite.omnigroup.com[/url]

share passwords with each other. This wont work in OmniWeb, you'll have to save passwords for each site separately.[/QUOTE]

Other then this, I have no reason to NOT buy omniweb. Do you have a version in mind you hope to work this into?

jmazzi@gmail.com 2006-08-17 07:30 PM

Hello again. Still wondering if you have any idea when this will be added. Im growing tired of the issues i'm having with other browsers and am anxious to have this featured added.

troyb 2006-08-22 10:08 PM

I can't really say when this will happen just yet. Some point after OmniWeb 5.5 is running smoothly with WebKit though.

zottel 2006-08-24 01:46 PM

There is one thing about login autofill I like very much about Opera: Username and pw are not filled in automatically. Instead, an orange border around those text fields is shown, indicating that you can press Ctrl-Return, and Opera will login.

That way, it just isn't so obvious that there is a login stored for that page - especially nice if other people regularly use the same account on that computer. Of course, this is really far from secure, but I like to know that others have to really know how to use Opera (they don't, normally) in order to use my forum accounts, e.g.. (At work at the windows box, that is.)

OTOH, this requires learning, and I understand that a browser should be as self-explaining as possible by default. So maybe this could be a config option?

placebo 2006-08-24 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=zottel]There is one thing about login autofill I like very much about Opera: Username and pw are not filled in automatically. Instead, an orange border around those text fields is shown, indicating that you can press Ctrl-Return, and Opera will login.[/QUOTE]
How does this work when you have multiple accounts and passwords for the same page?

I just don't see this as a very useful feature as I would never store a user name and password on a shared system.

zottel 2006-08-29 01:06 PM

It then displays a dialog to choose which login you'd like to use.

You're right, of course, this is by no means a real security feature at all. I would not use this, either, at a machine with more or less public access.

The particular situation is: I own a very small bookstore, and I have only one employee who manages the store when I have a day off. I trust her, she would probably not abuse it if she saw that she could login to a particular site with saved passwords. But I still feel better if it isn't SO obvious that this is possible. And it's the same for my home Mac, where a friend staying for a week might use my Mac while I'm at work, ot sth similar. I will of course leave my account open for use, if he wants to browse around in the net, but I'd like it better if he wouldn't see at first glance that he could use a saved account for a particular site.

And, anyway—how would the solution used at the moment work with different accounts on the same site, a feature that will hopefully be included soon?

Len Case 2006-08-29 01:13 PM

I use Fast User Switching for all my multi-user needs. When I had friends visit, I created a brand new account just for them...

Forrest 2006-08-29 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Len Case]I use Fast User Switching for all my multi-user needs. When I had friends visit, I created a brand new account just for them...[/QUOTE]

That is useful when one has enough RAM and CPU power. I have just delegated some of my older machines to that task.

zottel 2006-08-29 01:53 PM

Ok, touché. :-)

But still—how are you intending to implement multiple keychain entries for one site? It wouldn't make sense to display one of the available user names and display a dialog when the login button was clicked. So what are you going to do? IMHO, a colored border around the entry fields and a keyboard shortcut is a good solution. Maybe with the addition to display the available user name options also when the login button is clicked.

And while implementing that, you could add a preference option to only show colored frames also if there is only one login available. :-)

(BTW: I'm not sure, but I think Safari is able to use multiple logins for one site, isn't it? How is it implemented there?)

jmazzi@gmail.com 2006-08-29 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=zottel]Ok, touché. :-)

But still—how are you intending to implement multiple keychain entries for one site? It wouldn't make sense to display one of the available user names and display a dialog when the login button was clicked. So what are you going to do? IMHO, a colored border around the entry fields and a keyboard shortcut is a good solution. Maybe with the addition to display the available user name options also when the login button is clicked.

And while implementing that, you could add a preference option to only show colored frames also if there is only one login available. :-)

(BTW: I'm not sure, but I think Safari is able to use multiple logins for one site, isn't it? How is it implemented there?)[/QUOTE]

most likely the same way safari does. check it out.

zottel 2006-08-29 02:53 PM

Actually, I don't have multiple accounts on any website I use at home, so I can't test without adding a superfluous account to some site. So please tell me. :-)

jmazzi@gmail.com 2006-08-29 05:17 PM

You type in part of the username and a drop down list appears in the login box, you can type the whole thing out or hit down to select the one you want. Once you type/select it, the password gets filled in.

zottel 2006-08-31 06:46 AM

Ok. That's reasonable. But I was thinking about what is displayed [i]before[/i] you type anything into the login field?

jmazzi@gmail.com 2006-08-31 07:01 AM

If you have more then one, it doesnt fill in anything until you type part of it the first time. After that, it autofills it with the last one you used.

Forrest 2006-08-31 08:06 AM

How the other browsers deal with multiple passwords but identical usernames?

I should add, I know Firefox can't.

zottel 2006-08-31 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=jmazzi@gmail.com]If you have more then one, it doesnt fill in anything until you type part of it the first time. After that, it autofills it with the last one you used.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks.

I still prefer the Opera way, here, but that's a matter of taste, I guess. If OW acted the way Safari does—well, it would be just as usable as the Opera way, so what the heck. :-)

placebo 2006-08-31 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=zottel]I still prefer the Opera way, here, but that's a matter of taste, I guess. If OW acted the way Safari does—well, it would be just as usable as the Opera way, so what the heck. :-)[/QUOTE]
Perhaps this would be a good compromise. By default, OW works the way Safari does. Optionally, you can require that OW not fill in any login information until you type in the first two or three letters of your user name. This way, your user name isn't inadvertantly revealed unless someone happens to match the first few letters of your user name, and there's no dialog box to interrupt the login process or reveal everybody's user names.

marlwin 2007-08-16 07:02 AM

I really wish that new versions will work like the new Safari :
You start to type the login and it will autocomplete it, with the right password.

placebo 2007-08-16 09:04 AM

You might want to take a look at 1Passwd. It's not quite as convenient as the way Safari works, but it does give you some additional features and benefits.

jmazzi@gmail.com 2007-09-05 05:46 AM

Its been well over a year since you guys said it would be added in the 5.5 series. Can we get an update on the progress?

troyb 2007-09-05 05:59 AM

My (unclear) statement above meant not for 5.5. This is something we'd still like to do but I'm not sure when it will happen. The next major OmniWeb feature release is probably the most likely candidate but it's yet to be determined what exactly will be a part of that. Sorry to mislead you.

Dave Mac 2007-09-24 06:18 PM

I need the same thing. I've been searching around and changing different settings to no avail. I have several Paypal accounts and several different bank accounts. I hope I am understanding this correctly. This means that I can't use more than one saved account name and password for the same website? I'm not trying to start trouble but I always thought of this as one of the most basic things browsers did. It works in IE, Safari, Firefox and Opera.