The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New to OmniWeb - (Themes, Firefox, etc) (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3395)

Bigmase83 2007-04-26 10:57 AM

New to OmniWeb - (Themes, Firefox, etc)

I fell in love with this web browser and I'm totally starting to come along for purchasing it. I love the speed, quality, and tab features. However I had a couple of questions before I make my final decision:

1) I was wondering how and if there was a "theme" preference that you can and/or add. I loved the "Azerty" icons that I used with firefox. Is there something similar to that?

2) Can you add mods similar to the "extensions" used in firefox (gmail manager, etc.)?

3) Is there a way to make the tabs draw out at bottom?

4) What does everyone think...is $15 worth it and have you enjoyed your product?

Please tell me what you guys think.

daiyi666@yahoo.com 2007-04-27 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Bigmase83]I fell in love with this web browser and I'm totally starting to come along for purchasing it. I love the speed, quality, and tab features. However I had a couple of questions before I make my final decision:

1) I was wondering how and if there was a "theme" preference that you can and/or add. I loved the "Azerty" icons that I used with firefox. Is there something similar to that?

2) Can you add mods similar to the "extensions" used in firefox (gmail manager, etc.)?

3) Is there a way to make the tabs draw out at bottom?

4) What does everyone think...is $15 worth it and have you enjoyed your product?

Please tell me what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

This is always a very subjective issue. For me, the zoomed text editor and site preferences are what I need most. Speed and aesthetic considerations are important, too. Thus, the costs were well justified (even paying the old educational price of 19.99)

You won't find OW as pimpable as Firefox, to be sure. I used John Hicks OW 5 theme to change the IU somewhat but there isn't much out there in comparison to FF. I'm assuming that plugin managers could be created to add functions to OW (please correct me if I'm wrong) but since the user base is much smaller I'm not sure much will happen on that front. I did manage to get LiveDictionary to work correctly (with some modifications of its loader bundle), which helped seal the deal for me.

Although impressed with the current functionality and future possibilities of FireFox, I still don't like using it that much now. So OW is my main browser.

Finally, I'm greatly impressed with the OmniGroup. They are very open to suggestions and create great software (I own OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle as well, and plan to get OmniFocus when it comes out). Their openness about issues and customer service are second to none. For fun, you can see how they dealt with an unhappy client in the "I want my money back!" thread.

Just try out OW for 30 days and maybe you'll have a better indication.

Bigmase83 2007-04-27 01:36 PM

Thanks for the information. I love the browser so far. I can actually deal with using this UI for now...just curious of other issues:

1) Is there a way to always have the "tab drawer" open at all time when I launch the browser?

2) Is there a "new tab" button I can place in the toolbar?

Just a couple of minor concerns to some, but they mean the world to me!

JKT 2007-04-27 01:54 PM

1) Set up your window as you would like it to appear and take a snapshot of your Workspace (under the Workspace menu).

2) Nope, but the action or contextual menu in the drawer offers the option.

arglborps 2007-05-17 06:55 PM

I know this is an issue of mousing vs. typing and some people simply prefer to mouse around, but if you want to open a new tab quickly CMD+T is always your friend ;-)

Benjamindaines 2007-05-27 07:33 AM

For the themes... you could always just replace the icons. Go to OW in the Finder, Right click > Show Package Contents > Resources and all the icon files will be there.