The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Paste problem (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12615)

Flexattend 2009-05-23 09:59 PM

Paste problem

Has anyone had the problem of being unable to paste what's on the clipboard into a project title in the outline? Even though the "paste" command in OF's edit menu is grayed out, the text pastes just fine into other applications. It was copied from a file name in the Finder. Has anyone had this problem? Any solution or suggestions?

whpalmer4 2009-05-23 11:37 PM

I bet you are trying to paste into the sidebar. If instead you click in the project name in the main window, it should work. I don't have an answer for why this is so.

Toadling 2009-05-24 01:49 PM

I think the inability to paste into the sidebar is a known issue. From what I remember, the fix was rather involved and OG didn't want to risk further regressions without more time to test. Hopefully they'll get to it soon.

For now, I do my pasting into the main outline as whpalmer4 suggested.

-Dennis

Vramin 2009-06-14 08:53 PM

Pasting in this program is really a mess. I'm trying to move tasks from Things into Omnifocus. I'm giving up on Things, but in trying to transfer things over I'm starting to have second thoughts. It shouldn't be so hard to take a text list of items and paste it into a project as tasks.

whpalmer4 2009-06-14 10:48 PM

It's a piece of cake. Select your block of individual lines of text. Now, go click on the row handle of the row where you want to insert (the little dot to the left of the checkbox), and paste. You'll get a new row/action for each line in the original. If you instead click in the text of the row, you'll get a multi-line action.

Vramin 2009-06-15 05:19 AM

You seem to be describing the behavior I would expect, but what I see in practice is that no matter where I paste, it drops the items as new project entries in the root Library folder.

I'll go try your suggestion and see if clicking individual pixels is the right usage model. It still seems to me that if I have clicked on the project and then paste into the task list it should work as you described without me having to click individual dots.

Thanks for the help, though... I'm hopeful now. ;)

Vramin 2009-06-15 05:23 AM

So in the model you described I need to have one task in the project already. Clicking on the dot on that item and pasting does indeed add a bunch of sibling actions (which is a great step in the right direction).

However, I have imported a bunch of project records into my Someday projects list. They show up with the little triangle control, and when I select one of those and paste, Omnifocus throws all of my entries into the root Library folder as new projects.

At least I have a workaround now... adding a dummy record I can paste into is less work than retyping all of this stuff.

Thanks again...

whpalmer4 2009-06-15 09:37 AM

I usually paste stuff into the Inbox (same issue about needing to select a row for the insertion point applies), slice, dice, and reassemble, then drag to the appropriate spot in the sidebar. If you don't care where it goes (because you're going to use the Edit->Sort facility to sort it, for example), you can just Outdent a block of lines in the Inbox to promote them to projects.

Vramin 2009-06-15 09:45 AM

Since I'm moving from Things, though, everything is pretty much preclassified, so I'm trying to drop them into a similar spot in the new Omnifocus outline. Since it acts the same way in the Inbox as it does in the target project (have to make a fake action to paste more actions, otherwise it pastes in the root Library if the Inbox is empyt) I might as well use the target and skip the Inbox step.

sriggs 2009-06-15 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Vramin;61166]Pasting in this program is really a mess. I'm trying to move tasks from Things into Omnifocus. I'm giving up on Things, but in trying to transfer things over I'm starting to have second thoughts. It shouldn't be so hard to take a text list of items and paste it into a project as tasks.[/QUOTE]

Vramin, I don't want to sound like a omni fanboy but I just recently migrated from Things too. Don't give up on OmniFocus too quickly. The more GTD your process, the more you will absolutely love OmniFocus once you get used to it. As far as organizing, this tool is wonderful! I had a workflow and an organizational method in Things and I ended up dropping it when I migrated to OmniFocus, realizing later that parts of my workflow were based on limitations in Things.

Ok, I'm done slinging mud. Readers, sorry for the negativity but I remember cautiously coming over to OmniFocus only a month ago.

On a side note, when I migrated, in Things I printed my tasks to pdf, select all in the pdf and copy, then paste into a textedit document, make the textedit document text format and save it. Open the text document in omnioutliner and touch up a bit and save as omnioutliner format then you can import the tasks straight into OmniFocus. Sound like a bit much work but it was much less than copy pasting one at a time. Good luck!