The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Styles: Single Action, Next Action Spacing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=20761)

jasong 2011-04-18 01:33 PM

Styles: Single Action, Next Action Spacing

Hello folks.

I'm trying to figure out why OmniFocus won't let me adjust the Single Action and Next Action spacing in the Style preference. I can adjust their parent Actions spacing, and their sibling's Action Groups spacing.

All of the Status-Based Styles are likewise locked down.

Bug or Feature?

whpalmer4 2011-04-18 02:41 PM

I think all that is going on here is that OF doesn't allow you have different spacing between actions depending on their status. Probably makes the redisplay code simpler, though I don't have any basis for suggesting that to be a reason.

If you could change them all independently, what would you do?

jasong 2011-04-18 05:43 PM

Right now I'm just trying to get them so they're spaced *the same* as other items around them!

My Actions are set to
Row Spacing: 6
Child Spacing: 4
Child Indent: 16

Next Actions are the same (and unchangeable).

But Single Actions are set to
Row Spacing: 0
Child Spacing: 0
Child Indent: 16

Making them way tighter than the rest of my list, and it's driving me bonkers.

(This is a recent change; I'm unclear what I did or happened that caused this.)

whpalmer4 2011-04-18 06:34 PM

Do you have many styling changes? You could just hit the reset button and re-apply the ones you want...Sounds a bit like your preferences file might have gotten corrupted somehow, which is a good argument for saving the settings as a theme when you get them "just so" — easier to restore!

I would try changing the Action settings first, to see if they yank the Single Action ones into line.

You might keep a copy of your preferences file as it is now to send to the support ninjas. Maybe they can figure out what went bump in the night.

jasong 2011-04-19 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;96074]Do you have many styling changes? You could just hit the reset button and re-apply the ones you want...Sounds a bit like your preferences file might have gotten corrupted somehow, which is a good argument for saving the settings as a theme when you get them "just so" — easier to restore![/QUOTE]

I have styled my text rather extensively, and have saved them, and did try resetting; even a reset still has the options greyed out. I'm guessing something got corrupted to cause the numbers to be "off", but they are supposed to be greyed out.

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;96074]
I would try changing the Action settings first, to see if they yank the Single Action ones into line.[/QUOTE]

It certainly looks like it's supposed to, and...

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;96074]You might keep a copy of your preferences file as it is now to send to the support ninjas. Maybe they can figure out what went bump in the night.[/QUOTE]

I figured out the issue. If you Copy and Paste a style (say, Actions to Single Actions), the target style is reset to some baseline (Row/Child Spacing 0, Helvetica 12, etc.).

Definitely a bug, and about to be filed.

whpalmer4 2011-04-19 07:39 AM

Good detective work! The paste behavior you describe sounds like a bug to me, too.

Yeah, I would expect the numbers are supposed to be greyed out, as I previously theorized. I guess I didn't spell it out, but I thought the reset would put the single action values back to their proper values, not make them editable. Now that you've had a chance to experience the alternative where action spacing varies depending on action type, do you think it is an issue that you can't edit those values independently?

jasong 2011-04-19 07:44 AM

I'm not sure yet about editing them manually. I think there's a case for it, though I can't yet articulate it, mainly because I can't edit them manually to see if the idea works.

I know when they're "wrong" it's terrible, and being able to adjust them manually to be "right" would have been useful.