The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Project Templates (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4374)

GeekLady 2007-08-01 09:11 AM

Project Templates

Useful or not useful?

I vote useful - I would love to have project templates, especially for things like vacations where they don't repeat on a regular or predictable basis.

pjc 2007-08-01 09:36 AM

Is there another thread where this is described in more detail? I'm not sure what you mean by a project template.

GeekLady 2007-08-01 09:43 AM

Okay, I thought the name was pretty self explanatory, but here it goes.

Being able to set up a project, and then save it as a template, and then to create a new project using that template, and it makes a project automatically populated with the templates tasks tasks, like for a vacation template: Stop the mail, Give spare key to neighbors, Take dog to kennel.

Something that you can expand on with tasks unique to the situation, but has your own prebuilt scaffolding for the project.

julamoor 2007-08-01 10:34 AM

1 vote yes ... maybe

I've already created some for my own use (lesson planning, trip packing, etc.) - any automation would be great. But then again, since I can kind of do it myself, maybe the omni folks should spend their time working on things that I can't do for myself.

MEP 2007-08-01 10:35 AM

I can see that being pretty useful. I don't see myself using it that much because most of my projects are unique, but I can definitely see the utility of such a feature.

pjc 2007-08-01 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=MEP;18577]I can see that being pretty useful. I don't see myself using it that much because most of my projects are unique, but I can definitely see the utility of such a feature.[/QUOTE]

That's precisely my situation. My wife would love it though -- she has lots of checklists for things like packing.

MEP 2007-08-01 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=pjc;18587]My wife would love it though -- she has lots of checklists for things like packing.[/QUOTE]

Checklists! That's really what they are isn't it. I use checklists all the time (OmniOutliner) but most of them aren't projects. It would be cool if there were a way to import a checklist from OOP to OF. I smell Applescript in the air.

BwanaZulia 2007-08-01 12:14 PM

[url]http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html[/url]

You mean like those?

Curt did an awesome job, the only thing I would ask OmniGroup to do would be to wrap it into native functionality.

Other than that, you should check out the AppleScript.

BZ

Blatchara 2007-08-04 07:40 AM

Here's another thought: what if you had a project called "Templates" which was permanently on hold (so you could hide it when you don't want to see it). From there, you could duplicate a template, and drag it whereever you want.
This amounts to a reference topic which arguably could be stored elsewhere. However, this could be more convenient if you use it often.
There's nothing wrong with the Outliner plan, of course--it's nice to have more than one way to do things.
This does beg the question of whether there should be another entry on the projects sidebar called Templates. If it gets added, it might be worth adding a show/hide checkbox in Preferences. Some people might hate it, and this would allow them never to see it.

nkeenan 2007-08-13 02:20 PM

I find template projects incredibly useful as a freelancer. I have a recurring process that I use for each client's project... a set of recurring tasks with a built in timeline (using due dates offset from a start date). Not every project is exactly the same, but starting from a template I can refine the process each time and learn from past projects. I like the on-hold project solution above, since that's essentially what's going on, but I wouldn't mind having templates as a bonifide feature of OF eventually, since I'm sure the Omni folk would have some really sexy way of implementing it.