The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Loving the latest (only?) Sparkle Peek! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11797)

sfkeydel 2009-04-01 04:35 AM

Loving the latest (only?) Sparkle Peek!

Here's hoping this feature will remain (deprecated, if necessary) in the next release!

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/download/sneakypeek/[/url]

radiophage 2009-04-01 05:30 AM

Yes, now I'm getting *too* much work done...

Finlay Boo 2009-04-01 07:07 AM

There isn't a smilie that conveys the emotion I feel when checking off a task now....

No, Ken. That's not a good thing.

;)

stormy 2009-04-01 08:30 AM

Please keep it as a hidden option! It sure brightened my day!

rsilber 2009-04-01 08:53 AM

Well, I must be missing something with this build. What exactly is occurring?

rsilber 2009-04-01 09:01 AM

Ouch!!! Guess I should have noticed it's April 1 :(

Ken Case 2009-04-01 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=rsilber;57750]Well, I must be missing something with this build. What exactly is occurring?[/QUOTE]

Try checking off a task (using the mouse)…

rsilber 2009-04-01 09:30 AM

Thanks Ken

Interesting... I keep OF on a second monitor, and there nothing happens. When I dragged OF to the main monitor the sparkles occurred. Wonder why it doesn't occur on the other screen...

ksrhee 2009-04-01 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=sfkeydel;57731]Here's hoping this feature will remain (deprecated, if necessary) in the next release!

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/download/sneakypeek/[/url][/QUOTE]

I simply love it! Gives me more motivation to get things done!

Ken

whpalmer4 2009-04-01 09:34 AM

Sadly, no fireworks for completing a project, and no sound effects. Typical Omni tactic of saving the good stuff for 2.0! :-)

SpiralOcean 2009-04-01 10:55 AM

Awesome! I hope this stays as well. Thanks for the gift Omni!

LizPf 2009-04-01 11:05 AM

I'm sorry, the so-called sparkles don't do it for me.

I need them to indicate priority ... I want different colors for different priority tasks. {April fool ... seriously, this is fun, and should be kept.}

I ned to go now and download the latest OmniWeb release ... they just added Gopher support! I've been waiting for almost 20 years for that feature!

--Liz

steve 2009-04-01 11:47 AM

Here is my vote to keep the sparkle! (at least, keep it as an option) It probably is an April Fool's joke, but I love it!

wdiadamo 2009-04-01 02:33 PM

Agreed. Keep it as an option. It might get my kids to use OF.

withnail 2009-04-01 05:02 PM

Sparkles rock.

Please keep them in. :D :D

steve 2009-04-01 06:27 PM

Any hints if this is going to disappear at midnight?

vinyl_warrior 2009-04-01 09:41 PM

I too love this as a feature and hope it sticks around as an option.

Ward 2009-04-02 07:50 AM

Keep the Sparkles!

[QUOTE=steve]Any hints if this is going to disappear at midnight?[/QUOTE]
The sparkles are still working on April 2. So those of us who want sparkles as a standard feature can stage a sit-down strike and never upgrade.

I'm pleased the sparkles stayed around because I saw nothing yesterday due to OmniFocus living on my left monitor.

Sparkles 2.0: After seeing a few different colors in the same pattern, I foresee the need for more variety. Merging OmniDazzle into OmniFocus is the obvious path to UI greatness!

-- Ward (feeling the pull of the new sneaky peek)

ksrhee 2009-04-02 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=steve;57790]Any hints if this is going to disappear at midnight?[/QUOTE]

Sparkle is gone with the latest update!

I would like to get it back, please!

I might have to downgrade to get it back.

Ken

LizPf 2009-04-02 11:45 AM

Yes ... I'm not upgrading until the next major revision ... unless you keep the sparkles!

Though it's all right if you make it a hidden preference. And tell me how to get them.

withnail 2009-04-04 05:45 PM

I would like to know how to get my sparkles back? :-(

Brian 2009-04-06 05:15 PM

It was hacked in very quickly for the April Fool's sneakypeek, and as folks have noticed, the code isn't as polished as we usually want to see. (It only works on the primary screen of a multi-monitor setup, for instance.)

We've definitely noticed how strongly folks are responding to it, so we'll keep this in mind as we work on future versions of the app. We're not going to ship with it in place, though.

For the time being, folks are welcome to use the sparkle peak build until it stops running in a few weeks. You can get it [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/download/sneakypeek"]here[/URL].

whpalmer4 2009-04-06 06:50 PM

Brian, it appears that the Sparkle Peek build has been removed from the Sneaky Peek page, unless it is in disguise.

figman 2009-04-06 08:24 PM

Yes bring it back as an option...My boss and I were just talking about how GTD should be fun and not too sanitary (otherwise we don't use it). I told her about the sparkle and she said I should email you and tell you to get it back (pink sparkles if possible).
We own other GTD's and CRM's and the fun factor and nice UI of OF keeps us coming back. Until the others catch on that work can be fun too..and still be seriously feature rich...we are here to stay!

kasi 2009-04-10 07:38 AM

I was quite disappointed when I checked off a task in the latest version.

So let me also chime in here: I love sparkle and I hate it that I had to upgrade my sneaky peek version to one without sparkle.

Life is about the small rewards, and most people like glitter. If you now only could also bring glamour into OF as well, then it would be close to perfect :-)

Please add one to the count of supporters for sparkle.

BevvyB 2009-04-10 04:08 PM

I've said it before in other threads - some of the other apps out there are fun to use, and add the element of fun. I've created all kinds of Filemaker databases in my time and I've always made them look cool and give you rewards. It really does make a difference and should not be overlooked.

dbyler 2009-04-13 12:41 PM

I'm not obsessed with the sparkles [I]per se[/I], but I do agree that it's nice to have positive feedback when completing a task. Sort of a Pavlovian reward for doing your work—The Hit List does this with a subtle sound and it's quite gratifying.

SpiralOcean 2009-08-14 06:34 AM

Anyone know if this can be turned on through the terminal? Or if it is still around?

Brian 2009-08-14 03:35 PM

Something like it may appear at some point in the future, but the code isn't in the app anymore.

dbyler 2010-01-12 02:58 PM

Just bumping this thread to keep it on people's radar. I'd love to see this feature added back into OmniFocus... :)