The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   (Clipping) Integration with ANY notes app (like voodoopad, yojimbo, MacJournal)? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=15751)

msiek 2010-03-23 08:16 AM

(Clipping) Integration with ANY notes app (like voodoopad, yojimbo, MacJournal)?

Hi all,
is there a integration for any kind of notes app that works smoothly?

I know, the "Send To" functionality works with almost any app but with very limited benefit.

What i would like to see is a integration on the same level like with Apple Mail where the result of the "Send To" will contain a link to the original mail where the snippet was taken from.

All applications i tested by now produce:
- no link at all or
- a link to the location of the database file of the source application.

Is there a application (or a plugin for a application) that would let me open
the source of the snippet?

Thanks,
Michael

Greg Jones 2010-03-23 09:35 AM

While its more than a note app, and is priced accordingly, DEVONthink Pro does this-even comes with a script to automate the process to OmniFocus.

msiek 2010-03-25 10:28 AM

Hi Greg,
thanks for your reply!
No problem to purchase a good product!

I downloaded the trial of DevonThink Pro (i tried the personal version before but "upgraded" because of you hint) but i was not able to perform would i would like.

How would it be possible to create a task from DevonThink that would provide a link to the location in the DevonThink Data? The only think i was able to create is a clipping which is only text but does not allow to get back from the task in OmniFocus to the source in DevonThink.

Any hint is appreciated,
Michael

Greg Jones 2010-03-25 03:52 PM

There are multiple ways to do this. As two examples, you can select a document, choose 'Data>Copy Item Link' to paste a link to the document in the note field of the OmniFocus Quick Entry pane. Another way is to select a document and from the Script menu, select 'Reminders>Add as To Do in OmniFocus and the document will be linked in a task in the OmniFocus Inbox.

Toadling 2010-03-25 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;75071]There are multiple ways to do this. As two examples, you can select a document, choose 'Data>Copy Item Link' to paste a link to the document in the note field of the OmniFocus Quick Entry pane.[/QUOTE]

As an aside, I know Yojimbo can do this "Copy As Link" for individual database items as well, which can then of course be pasted into the note field of an OmniFocus item.

IIRC, you can also drag a Yojimbo database item into the note field of an OmniFocus item to produce a link to the original Yojimbo item. Unfortunately, I can't verify this to be certain because I no longer have Yojimbo installed on my system. Perhaps someone who does could verify.

-Dennis

Russell 2010-03-26 06:39 AM

Ooohhh... This sounds nice.
I'll have to check this out, I'm using Yojimbo for storing reference articles and such.

I also use Curio, would be nice if I can have an OmniFocus project link in Curio. I'll have to try that as well...

invictus26 2010-03-28 11:20 PM

I use Together in this way by copying the link to an item (cmd-k) and pasting into OF. Then when I click on the link it opens up that item in Together. And besides, I think Together is a great program anyway, so you might want to check it out.

Toadling 2010-04-03 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=Toadling;75072]IIRC, you can also drag a Yojimbo database item into the note field of an OmniFocus item to produce a link to the original Yojimbo item.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I have Yojimbo installed again now and it seems I was mistaken on this point. Drag and drop of a Yojimbo item to an OmniFocus note field, as well as copying a selected Yojimbo item and pasting into an OmniFocus note field, results in the Yojimbo item's contents being inserted in the OmniFocus note.

So it looks like the only option with Yojimbo is to right-click an item and select "Copy As Link". Pasting that into an OmniFocus note does yield a link back to the original Yojimbo item, which nicely opens in a seperate window when the link is clicked.

-Dennis