The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   I can't sync my iphone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9726)

got.mac 2008-09-02 05:25 PM

I can't sync my iphone

I sent this to Omnigroup support so I apologize for a repeat post if you're getting both.

I have been using omnifocus on my mac and iphone since it came out. Then today the iphone version crashed. I reloaded it and I can't get it to sync no matter which way I configured it. I went to the mac and it won't sync with my mobileme account anymore. I go to sync preference and get the last sync failed notice when I try the sync now button.

I've tried going back to version 77.10.0.104461 (the last stable version I had) and, while it works fine on the mac, but it handles the same when I try to sync it.

Can you help me?
Jeff

MacBerry 2008-09-02 05:39 PM

Assuming OF on the desktop is up to date, I'd re-name Omnifocus.ofocus on MobileMe to Omnifocus.old, then re sync the desktop, telling it to use the local copy of the file if asked.

Then, in OF on the iPhone, go to settings and tell it to reset the database. Make sure your sync settings are correct, then sync and tell it to use the server copy if asked.

Backup first of course.

HTH

Mark

got.mac 2008-09-03 01:58 AM

Thanks worked like a charm. I appreciate the quick help.

Jeff

chrisblair 2008-09-03 01:54 PM

Me too - thanks.
Seems that the synchronisation to from Desktop to MobileMe takes place with the MobileMe sync process, and hitting the Synco ico on the OF desktop does not affect the MobileMe sync process.
It seems to me that this Sync button is not involved in syncing with iPhone - is this correct?
Can anyone explain what that sync button on the desktop OF actually does?
Chris

whpalmer4 2008-09-03 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=chrisblair;46345]Me too - thanks.
Seems that the synchronisation to from Desktop to MobileMe takes place with the MobileMe sync process, and hitting the Synco ico on the OF desktop does not affect the MobileMe sync process.
It seems to me that this Sync button is not involved in syncing with iPhone - is this correct?
Can anyone explain what that sync button on the desktop OF actually does?
Chris[/QUOTE]
No, OmniFocus (desktop) synchronization doesn't involve MobileMe at all, unless MobileMe provides the WebDAV service used. The MobileMe synchronization functions that sync your Address Book, iCal, Mail, etc. have nothing to do with OmniFocus (uh, except for iCal sync from OmniFocus, but let's leave that out of the picture for now).

The Sync button in either iPhone OmniFocus or desktop OmniFocus causes OmniFocus to read the synchronized database from wherever you have configured it, be it a local disk drive (the Disk option) or a WebDAV volume (either Advanced or MobileMe options). The sync code carefully goes through the chain of transactions in that set of files, checking each one against the transactions in your local database to see if there are any changes to be incorporated. For each item, the most recent change is kept and any others discarded, and the final result is stored both in your local database and where the synchronized database lives. This process happens automatically when OmniFocus is running either 1 minute after you make a change, or after 1 hour of inactivity, or immediately when you press the Sync Now button on the iPhone or the desktop (or use File->Syncronize with Server on the desktop). All of the OmniFocus instances (phone, desktop) you have set up to sync in the same place will periodically examine and update that file, and thus the changes will percolate to all of them.

As mentioned earlier, OmniFocus can also be set up to sync actions with iCal, where they are entered as To Do items, not calendar events (so they have a date, but not a time or a duration, and only appear if you show the To Do list). This happens when you do the File->Synchronize with iCal. This will cause MobileMe to send the new/changed data from iCal to all registered devices in the fullness of time.

Just to muddy the waters a bit further, when you cable your iPhone up to your desktop and use iTunes to "sync" your iPhone, yet another synchronization process takes place, but OmniFocus is not an active party in this. If this all sounds a bit like an Abbott and Costello routine called [URL="http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml"]Who's on first?[/URL] to you, well, I can't blame you for thinking that :-)

chrisblair 2008-09-05 03:41 AM

Wow - I did not know any of that.
Thanks for the very helpful information - knowing what is going on under the hood makes the whole process work better.
Chris
PS
Is there a text book "iPhone for Dummies" available, and if not, maybe a new opportunity for you!
PPS
I posted a query about updating OF on my iPhone on the iPhone forum - any wise words on that process? I am unable to update my iPhone OF
despite a few different strategies that will not work.