The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Request: Create project in Action > Project Inspector (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4257)

omnibob 2007-07-21 10:19 AM

Request: Create Project in Action > Project Inspector

A feature request (or request for an existing method if I'm missing one).

I imported about two thousand to do's which are now Actions in a Project ("imported"). I'm reviewing, and then deleting them or assigning them to Projects. It would be useful to be able to create a new Project from the Action Inspector (the Project pop up), and/or have an option for placing Project in the Extra Columns, where a new Project could be created on the fly the way Contexts are (and including the ability to create Projects within an existing Folder structure). Currently, I'm creating the Project, then re-locating the Action, and setting its Project.

Bob

SpiralOcean 2007-07-21 11:19 AM

Have you tried using the keyboard to assign projects? OF is a Chuck Norris at matching just a couple strokes of the keyboard with an existing project.

If a project doesn't come up when typing, you can continue typing and hit the command+enter key to create a new project.

I hardly ever use the pop up for project or context assignment.

omnibob 2007-07-21 11:51 AM

OK, I give ... how do I assign a project with the keyboard? I don't seem to have a Project column (in Project view).

Bob

SpiralOcean 2007-07-21 11:55 AM

My mistake... you can do this from the inbox.

Have you thought about selecting all those action items and moving them into the inbox?

filmgeek 2007-07-21 11:59 AM

What a shame you moved these new actions out of your inbox (or does importing put them in all sorts of places.) If they were in your inbox you could just assign them the way contexts are assigned.

Put all of your items in a context called "ANALYZE", and they'll be treated like the inbox (where you can tab over and dynamically assign and create projects in the project drop down)

omnibob 2007-07-21 12:24 PM

I wasn't able to drag and drop them into the inbox, then tried to cut, then paste with the inbox selected, but they became projects. I then clicked on a item in the inbox, pasted, and they inserted fine (including not erasing the action I had selected).

Since I'm using folders, the problem is that I can't (or don't know how to) create a project inside a folder (from the Project column). I think there would need to be a keyboard equivalent to the right-pointing arrow separating folders and projects (e.g., Personal > Finances) to make this possible. For now, I can create Projects on the root (using the Projects column) and manually move them later. So as I say, the inbox isn't perfect yet for this, but it is a good step up. Thanks for the useful tip.

Bob

p.s. to filmgeek: The reason I didn't import them into the inbox was bc I didn't have luck dragging and dropping. I now know how to successfully paste items into the inbox. Your tip about assigning to an "ANALYZE" context works well also.

SpiralOcean 2007-07-21 01:02 PM

Interesting... cannot move back into the inbox. Looks like that is a one way street.

filmGeek had the answer...
you can assign actions to a project in the context view.
Change all of the actions to a context... then process with the keyboard.