The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How to add a project focus to a perspective (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16258)

magobaol 2010-05-21 02:06 AM

How to add a project focus to a perspective

Hi,
in order to mainly focus my attention on specific and very important projects that need several actions during the day, I created a very simple perspective named "Important projects", focused on four or five projects.

When during my weekly review I consider that a project needs more attention in my day-by-day activities, I'd like to "add" it to that perspective, but I can't see how I could simply modify the "Focus on" in a perspective: the only way I found is to select again the projects I want to stay focused on and save again the perspective, but in this way I need to remember the previously selected projects and find them again in my tree: not really fast.
Is there any other way?

Thanks,
Francesco

Jupiter 2010-05-21 03:07 AM

This is a very good question. We can't work on all project at the same time and the focus menu alouds if i have well understood only but one project. I have found no way to do it exept to make on hold all my project but the one i am working on which is not a good way to do it so sure... I am very interessted by the answer. If you have found a way to focus on a short project list just tell us so... Chears

curt.clifton 2010-05-21 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=Jupiter;77503]This is a very good question. We can't work on all project at the same time and the focus menu alouds if i have well understood only but one project. I have found no way to do it exept to make on hold all my project but the one i am working on which is not a good way to do it so sure... I am very interessted by the answer. If you have found a way to focus on a short project list just tell us so... Chears[/QUOTE]

Use command-click to select multiple projects in the sidebar before running the Focus command.

whpalmer4 2010-05-21 05:12 AM

[QUOTE=magobaol;77501]

When during my weekly review I consider that a project needs more attention in my day-by-day activities, I'd like to "add" it to that perspective, but I can't see how I could simply modify the "Focus on" in a perspective: the only way I found is to select again the projects I want to stay focused on and save again the perspective, but in this way I need to remember the previously selected projects and find them again in my tree: not really fast.
Is there any other way?

[/QUOTE]
Yes, you are on the right track. Go to your perspective, and select all the projects in the sidebar. Now click the Show All button in the toolbar (or do View->Show All Projects) and focus will expand, but you will still only have your selected projects show in the outline panel. Scroll through the sidebar and cmd-click on any projects you wish to add or remove to update the selection. When you are ready, focus again, and save the perspective again. Unfortunately, I don't think it will offer you the option to simply update the old perspective.

curt.clifton 2010-05-21 05:12 AM

Francesco,

Are you using flags for anything else? If not, you could flag the projects that you're interested in, then use a perspective that just shows flagged items. (Tasks inherit flags from their parent project, so you would only need to toggle the flags on the projects themselves.)

Jupiter 2010-05-21 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;77510]Francesco,

Are you using flags for anything else? If not, you could flag the projects that you're interested in, then use a perspective that just shows flagged items. (Tasks inherit flags from their parent project, so you would only need to toggle the flags on the projects themselves.)[/QUOTE]

Great !!!! it works perfectly. For me it's OK thanks indeed.

magobaol 2010-05-23 03:59 AM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;77510]Francesco,

Are you using flags for anything else? If not, you could flag the projects that you're interested in, then use a perspective that just shows flagged items. (Tasks inherit flags from their parent project, so you would only need to toggle the flags on the projects themselves.)[/QUOTE]

Hi Curt,
it seems a good hint, but how can I filter the project list using the flag?

Ciao,
Francesco

curt.clifton 2010-05-23 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just set the status filter in the View Bar to show Flagged:
[ATTACH]1410[/ATTACH]

magobaol 2010-05-23 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;77556]Just set the status filter in the View Bar to show Flagged:
[ATTACH]1410[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Hi Curt,
thank you, but what I mean was to filter the projects in the left panel, not just the actions, and I seems there is no way to do this (using the flag status).

Thanks,
Francesco

magobaol 2010-05-24 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;77509]Yes, you are on the right track. Go to your perspective, and select all the projects in the sidebar. Now click the Show All button in the toolbar (or do View->Show All Projects) and focus will expand, but you will still only have your selected projects show in the outline panel.[/QUOTE]

Hi whpalmer4,
thank you for yor hint, but it doesn't work for me. When I click "Show all", just one project remains selected in the sidebar, even if I selected all the projects in my perspective. :-(

Ciao,
Francesco