The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OSX Mountain Lion and OF!? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=23503)

lmsboy 2012-02-17 01:33 AM

OSX Mountain Lion and OF!?

Hey there,
does anyone could start OmniFocus under Mountain Lion?

Mine hangs up on 'caching...' -.-

To bad x_X

mtpearson 2012-02-17 01:46 AM

Omnifocus and Mountain Lion - No Go, yet...

I ran the upgrade to ML overnight only to wakeup to my morning ritual and NO OmniFocus. I guess we should have checked for compatibility first. The majority of my Apps are working so lets hope this gets fixed fairly quickly.

Hey can we get a 60 day trial to OF for iPhone/iPad while this is being fixed? I feel like I can't live without my lists!!!

ramsesthethird 2012-02-17 02:29 AM

Indeed - same issue here. Really should not have done such a thing. Thankfully I'm a user of both iOS apps, so have access, but it's not quite the same.

I know it's not Omni's issue or fault - I hope a quick fix is possible.

lmsboy 2012-02-17 02:43 AM

I'm checking

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus/download/sneakypeek/[/url]

every hour :D

mdiamant 2012-02-17 04:45 AM

I guess there's a little comfort in knowing it's not just me. i have a company bought version and tried everything including changing folder permissions, deleting caches and prefs, importing working DBs etc. No luck. I'm also hoping for a sneaky peek fix or some other temporary version. it's the only app so far on my upgraded dev machine that doesn't work. glad it's not my only machine but it's my only laptop :)

CatOne 2012-02-17 08:16 AM

Installing an early pre-release of an OS on a critical machine… precious.

It's a developer preview, not production. There's always the possibility there's a bug in Mountain Lion that the Omni folks can't easily work around (or, the workaround is a real pain and waiting for Apple to issue an update would be prudent). You guys may be SOL for a while.

whpalmer4 2012-02-17 11:00 AM

Some of us aren't even sure we are ready to install plain old Lion on our production machines yet :-)

Disk drives are so cheap that no one should experiment on their production system without a safety net. Clone the disk with SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, then try out new operating systems on the clone. At such time as you switch to using the new OS, use the extra disk as a clone backup, updated regularly. Good news is that some of the Omni developers undoubtedly have installed ML and are probably hard at work on finding out why OF doesn't work.

Lizard 2012-02-17 12:45 PM

Thanks all for making sure we know about this. We're looking into it.

Patriot 2012-02-17 03:20 PM

Same behavior here, and glad you're working on this.

Ken Case 2012-02-17 04:18 PM

We believe we have a workaround which lets you use the current build of OmniFocus now, but Mountain Lion is still under NDA so we'll be posting the workaround to Apple's dev forums (where discussions of NDA'd material are allowed).

It's not posted there yet, but look for it later this weekend.

lmsboy 2012-02-17 04:21 PM

Will you post a link to the thread here or how we will know/find it there?

tbals 2012-02-17 05:49 PM

Is the fix OS or application specific? I ask because I will installed the beta in a second partition and went symlink-crazy (technical term).

Protocol dictates that I put something smug about pre-production software and mission-critical data here. Instead, I suggest making lots of backups and then going a little crazy every so often. After you verify those backups.

mdiamant 2012-02-17 07:11 PM

Thanks Ken

Lizard 2012-02-17 08:52 PM

Here's the NDA'ed workaround post Ken referenced earlier:
[url]https://devforums.apple.com/message/619354[/url]

lmsboy 2012-02-18 01:27 AM

[QUOTE=Lizard;107527]Here's the NDA'ed workaround post Ken referenced earlier:
[url]https://devforums.apple.com/message/619354[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you - works perfect!

Patriot 2012-02-18 02:43 AM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;107534]Thank you - works perfect![/QUOTE]

Can you post the workaround here?

lmsboy 2012-02-18 02:47 AM

I'm sorry, this isn't allowed by Apple NDA.

And I'm sure, that the most non-developers can't fix it self with this workaround.

But if you use ML, you should have an Dev-Account. So just look in the Dev-Forum.

beau 2012-02-18 08:52 AM

I have a Dev-Account, but the fix references a prefs file that I do not have (MacAppStore.plist). Included string in the OF plist file in the same location, but it doesn't work. It just hangs saying trying to restore window from previous session.

lmsboy 2012-02-18 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=beau;107545]I have a Dev-Account, but the fix references a prefs file that I do not have (MacAppStore.plist). Included string in the OF plist file in the same location, but it doesn't work. It just hangs saying trying to restore window from previous session.[/QUOTE]

If you bought you App outside the MacStore, you've to use the one without MacAppStore at THE END.

Please read the post completely at Apple-Dev. If you've questions about how to use the fix right, ask it there please (NDA).

RobTrew 2012-02-18 01:27 PM

Those interested in forming an escape committee should refer to [URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromMacOSX"]this page[/URL].

sepstein 2012-02-18 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;107537]But if you use ML, you should have an Dev-Account. So just look in the Dev-Forum.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no. I'm a beta tester for Apple, and have access to the Mountain Lion seed. Unfortunately, I do NOT have access to the Dev forums (or the Xcode betas, either).

Would appreciate any help that can be offered to get OmniFocus running on Mountain Lion. Not mission critical (I am running Mountain Lion on a test partition), but much appreciated as I'm trying to use Mountain Lion as much as possible.

Steve

lmsboy 2012-02-18 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=sepstein;107554]Uh, no. I'm a beta tester for Apple, and have access to the Mountain Lion seed. Unfortunately, I do NOT have access to the Dev forums (or the Xcode betas, either).

Would appreciate any help that can be offered to get OmniFocus running on Mountain Lion. Not mission critical (I am running Mountain Lion on a test partition), but much appreciated as I'm trying to use Mountain Lion as much as possible.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Sry, but this isn't possible. If you've access to the beta, you also have an Dev-ID, with which you can use the Dev-Forums.

And read my post above. Your problem is solved in it.

sepstein 2012-02-19 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;107555]Sry, but this isn't possible. If you've access to the beta, you also have an Dev-ID, with which you can use the Dev-Forums.[/QUOTE]

No, it is possible - Apple does have other seeding projects apart from developers (and I'm living proof!). And as an FYI, I do have a developer ID but have not paid the $99 for early software. I do have access to parts of the developer site, but not the forums or early release software that is exclusively housed there.

No matter - I filed a bug report and Apple engineering seems to have taken interest. I directed them to the post in the dev-forum listed above. Hopefully, Apple will help OmniGroup with a fix, or at least copy the substance of that post to our seed discussion forum, which is also NDA protected.

Steve

lmsboy 2012-02-19 03:36 AM

I really don't understand why you don't use the solution you already have there. I told you a few posts above, what you did wrong and how you can fix it. After this your OF will work fine.

Patriot 2012-02-19 04:48 AM

In the same boat as sepstein. Any help appreciated.

lmsboy 2012-02-19 05:00 AM

[url]https://developer.apple.com/programs/start/standard/create.php[/url]

dosjon 2012-02-19 05:33 AM

AppleSeed

Apple does have a program called AppleSeed where they give preview versions of software to developers. To my knowledge, these customers are not given developer login credentials. Here's more information about the AppleSeed program.

[url]https://appleseed.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal[/url]

johnwin 2012-02-19 06:52 AM

Will the plist edit be published here or is it permanently NDA'd?

Like many here I *might* have Mountain Lion but I don't necessarily have a full, $99/year, Developer Account.

Thanks.

beau 2012-02-19 06:56 AM

Apple-Dev Thread

[QUOTE=lmsboy;107549]If you bought you App outside the MacStore, you've to use the one without MacAppStore at THE END.

Please read the post completely at Apple-Dev. If you've questions about how to use the fix right, ask it there please (NDA).[/QUOTE]

Hi - I did post on Apple Dev Thread but not getting any response. This fix definitely does not work for me. App is still hanging on launch. I would be very grateful if you could post any other ideas on the Dev page.
Using OF on a separate ML partition but trying to do as much daily work as possible using ML.

lmsboy 2012-02-19 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=beau;107573]Hi - I did post on Apple Dev Thread but not getting any response. This fix definitely does not work for me. App is still hanging on launch. I would be very grateful if you could post any other ideas on the Dev page.
Using OF on a separate ML partition but trying to do as much daily work as possible using ML.[/QUOTE]

Done

ramsesthethird 2012-02-19 11:33 AM

Working

thank you - work around has done the job.

Patriot 2012-02-19 12:08 PM

Don't want to pay $99. Can anyone help?

lmsboy 2012-02-19 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Patriot;107583]Don't want to pay $99. Can anyone help?[/QUOTE]

Yes, run OSX Lion, as you should, if you're no dev.

johnwin 2012-02-19 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;107586]Yes, run OSX Lion, as you should, if you're no dev.[/QUOTE]
@Imsboy - so you will be petitioning Ken not to release a proper fix until after Apple make a full release of Mountain Lion?

whpalmer4 2012-02-19 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=johnwin;107588]@Imsboy - so you will be petitioning Ken not to release a proper fix until after Apple make a full release of Mountain Lion?[/QUOTE]

I think your logic has jumped the tracks here...do the people who are running ML who do have access to the dev forum (I'm not one of them, and have no dog in this hunt) not deserve a version of OmniFocus that doesn't need to be patched? Does Omni not have a vested interest in making it possible for people to use their software with ML (without violating the terms of the NDA) and report any bugs?

Even if you don't have this OmniFocus issue to worry about, running the ML beta exclusively probably isn't a great plan if you aren't a dev and don't have access to others who can help you with problems.

johnwin 2012-02-19 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;107589]I think your logic has jumped the tracks here...do the people who are running ML who do have access to the dev forum (I'm not one of them, and have no dog in this hunt) not deserve a version of OmniFocus that doesn't need to be patched? Does Omni not have a vested interest in making it possible for people to use their software with ML (without violating the terms of the NDA) and report any bugs?

Even if you don't have this OmniFocus issue to worry about, running the ML beta exclusively probably isn't a great plan if you aren't a dev and don't have access to others who can help you with problems.[/QUOTE]

I was only pulling pig-tales! I'm sure a fix will be issued as soon as it can. In the meantime if I choose to run Mountain Lion and I don't have access to OF then thats up to me. I just object to people making assumptions about others who post here and how they express it.

From the OmniGroup response it looked as if the fix might be posted within this thread, rather than just a link to the Dev Forum. I was simply asking if the plist edit *might* be posted here. I don't need a guide in life choices or advice on running beta software.

Patriot 2012-02-19 03:45 PM

Yes I run ML. YES Apple seeded me with it. Yes I have OF for the Mac. No, I am not a developer and no I am not so foolish to pay $99 for a patch.

lmsboy 2012-02-19 03:59 PM

Instead getting offensive, you should think about the consequences for a developer, if he/she would pull out any information, which is under NDA.

There's a reason why Apple got this NDA and there a reason, why ONLY DEVELOPER get a early release of ML.

W bth knw, tht y l, if you say there's a seed, where you could get ML-DevPrev, without Dev-Account. S pls b qt, ths frm s dfntl nt fr ths knd f dscssns.

ML Preview/Beta is ONLY for developers, who knows what they are doing in a beta. So please use a legal copy of Lion or, if you really need it, enter the Apple-Mac-Dev-Program and get the stuff you need.

OF works great with Lion and it will works great with ML after release.

And again: If you want to use ML preview, wherever you got it, then you've to live without OF until a new version of OF will fix it, because of the NDA.

A developer, who would say something under NDA would lost everything with Apple/Dev. So maybe his existence/job. No one would be stupid like this, just to help someone, who's 'seeded by Apple' *cough*

So I think everything is said now. Have a nice day.

Patriot 2012-02-19 04:05 PM

See post #23

whpalmer4 2012-02-19 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;107592]Instead getting offensive, you should think about the consequences for a developer, if he/she would pull out any information, which is under NDA.

There's a reason why Apple got this NDA and there a reason, why ONLY DEVELOPER get a early release of ML.
[/quote]
Careful, now, we know that Apple has seeded others. John Gruber isn't getting seeded (and a personal meeting with Schiller!) because he's a developer: [url]http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion[/url] and neither is David Pogue.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that Apple isn't seeding others. I do question whether Apple is seeding others and not supporting them, however. Given Apple's NDA and legal staff, Omni is right to post the workaround in a place where they can be confident that anyone with access has been approved by Apple. If Apple is seeding people and not willing to help them, that's a tough break for those folks, but Omni won't be posting anything on their forums that they think might be restricted by the NDA, I'm sure. I think they'll be wary of anyone who claims to have a seed from Apple and doesn't have something convincing as proof.

yellowhandman 2012-02-19 06:28 PM

Can we just settle this silly "Apple only seeds developers" argument?

appleseed.apple.com

Lizard 2012-02-19 06:42 PM

Hi all,
I can understand this situation is frustrating for those who can't run OmniFocus and confusing to everyone.
We do want people to be able to run OmniFocus on Mountain Lion and let us know if anything else is broken. On the other hand, we have to respect Apple's NDA.
It's Sunday evening in Seattle & tomorrow is a holiday for us, but I'll talk to some other folks at Omni on Tuesday and see what we can do for those who have legitimate access to Mountain Lion but not to the developer forums.

In the meantime, it'd be great if everyone could take a deep breath and be civil to one another. We try to censor the forums as little as possible, but attacking other posters can interfere with the forum's primary goal of communicating technical information between users of Omni's apps.

johnwin 2012-02-19 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=Lizard;107599]Hi all,
I can understand this situation is frustrating for those who can't run OmniFocus and confusing to everyone.
We do want people to be able to run OmniFocus on Mountain Lion and let us know if anything else is broken. On the other hand, we have to respect Apple's NDA.
It's Sunday evening in Seattle & tomorrow is a holiday for us, but I'll talk to some other folks at Omni on Tuesday and see what we can do for those who have legitimate access to Mountain Lion but not to the developer forums.

In the meantime, it'd be great if everyone could take a deep breath and be civil to one another. We try to censor the forums as little as possible, but attacking other posters can interfere with the forum's primary goal of communicating technical information between users of Omni's apps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lizard. That is the measured response I was trying to receive.

We don't all come to the party on the same bus but we are all here for the same reason so there is no need for others to judge or question how we got here.

Thank you and I will wait for OmniGroup to act in all our interestes and within the bounds on the NDA. Thank you.

aj2 2012-02-19 11:03 PM

Are you able to post the workaround to the AppleSeed discussion board also?
Thank you!

mtpearson 2012-02-20 03:03 AM

The solution...

On the dev forums works and I can understand how frustrating it must be. There may be a workaround solution here but I am just not sure if giving out the specific answer on this forum would be the answer. I can help people individually if they care to email me directly. In hopes that it won't go against the NDA I can give the precise solution but won't give why it happens. if that is feasible please email me at [URL="mailto:mcse69@hotmail.com"]mailto:mcse69 AT hotmail.com[/URL]

Patriot 2012-02-20 05:14 AM

email sent, thanks for offering.

yellowhandman 2012-02-20 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=mtpearson;107608]please email me at [URL="mailto:mcse69@hotmail.com"]mailto:mcse69 AT hotmail.com[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thanks

Ken Case 2012-02-20 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=aj2;107605]Are you able to post the workaround to the AppleSeed discussion board also?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, we don't have access to that board. But if someone else here has access and would like to post the workaround, we certainly have no objections! (We would do it ourselves if we had access.)

By the way, I've just now added a note to the developer forums post with some simple, direct instructions for applying the workaround.

yellowhandman 2012-02-20 12:40 PM

Just checked again - someone has already posted the fix on the AppleSeed boards.

sepstein 2012-02-21 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=yellowhandman;107598]Can we just settle this silly "Apple only seeds developers" argument?

appleseed.apple.com[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

sepstein 2012-02-21 05:28 AM

[QUOTE=yellowhandman;107625]Just checked again - someone has already posted the fix on the AppleSeed boards.[/QUOTE]
That's all we were asking for.

Ken, you might want to see if there is a way to make this process smoother in the future - I'm not sure if Apple has a formal process for this and I realize it happens rarely, but just a thought.

Patriot 2012-02-21 08:04 AM

I saw the workaround in the AppleSeed boards, after a kind poster here offered to email it to me privately (thank you). However, I just couldn't figure out how to do it, so looking forward to Omnigroup releasing a version of OF for Mac that works with ML.

Patriot 2012-02-21 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=yellowhandman;107598]Can we just settle this silly "Apple only seeds developers" argument?

appleseed.apple.com[/QUOTE]

Thank you too.

Ken Case 2012-02-21 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=Patriot;107659]I saw the workaround in the AppleSeed boards, after a kind poster here offered to email it to me privately (thank you). However, I just couldn't figure out how to do it, so looking forward to Omnigroup releasing a version of OF for Mac that works with ML.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear: this isn't a problem we can fix. (I can't go into details because of our NDA, but more details are in the developer forums post.)

I just realized I made a mistake in the instructions I posted earlier—which meant they worked with the direct download edition, but not the Mac App Store edition. I just posted revised instructions to the developer forums thread, hopefully someone with access to that and to the AppleSeed forums can re-post the revised instructions for others' benefit. (Sorry about that!)

Patriot 2012-02-21 08:34 AM

Well, I'm running the direct download edition and still couldn't figure it out. I even d/loaded Text Wrangler to help.

Ken Case 2012-02-21 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Patriot;107662]Well, I'm running the direct download edition and still couldn't figure it out. I even d/loaded Text Wrangler to help.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that doesn't sound relevant to the directions I posted: you shouldn't need to edit any files anywhere, you just need to paste some commands into a Terminal window.

If you contact our support ninjas directly by email (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) and explain your situation, they should be able to help you out.

lhotka 2012-02-22 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Patriot;107659]I saw the workaround in the AppleSeed boards, after a kind poster here offered to email it to me privately (thank you). However, I just couldn't figure out how to do it, so looking forward to Omnigroup releasing a version of OF for Mac that works with ML.[/QUOTE]

You may have to wait until 10.8's in GM then. What works with DP1, may break with DP2, etc.

Mountain Lion is nowhere near ready for prime time - tons of things don't work properly, those that do will probably break in the future, and those that don't may get fixed by Apple.

CatOne 2012-02-22 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=lhotka;107707]You may have to wait until 10.8's in GM then. What works with DP1, may break with DP2, etc.

Mountain Lion is nowhere near ready for prime time - tons of things don't work properly, those that do will probably break in the future, and those that don't may get fixed by Apple.[/QUOTE]

One would home that Apple has some modicum of regression testing. While it's true that things that work in one seed may be broken in another, in general the pattern is that successive seeds have FEWER bugs, not MORE :-)

HappyDude 2012-03-03 11:00 PM

I can't get OF to work under ML.

I'm at the point of wanting to revert back to Snow Leopard. This is seriously driving me insane. I can't log into my Apple seed forum and sent a reset PW to Apple with no immediate response (it's been over 2 hours), plus i'm wanting to do a Weekly Review...

I'm truly upset. Sorry, I really dont mean to whine but this truly does suck.

Hopefully something happens soon.

CatOne 2012-03-04 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=HappyDude;108025]I can't get OF to work under ML.

I'm at the point of wanting to revert back to Snow Leopard. This is seriously driving me insane. I can't log into my Apple seed forum and sent a reset PW to Apple with no immediate response (it's been over 2 hours), plus i'm wanting to do a Weekly Review...

I'm truly upset. Sorry, I really dont mean to whine but this truly does suck.

Hopefully something happens soon.[/QUOTE]

This is why you shouldn't use pre-release software on your primary, critical machines. ESPECIALLY the first public release that no 3rd party developers have had time to test and report feedback back to Apple.

If you actually depend on the machine for critical work, you really should be using a production version of the OS. Lion works fine.

justinwithers 2012-03-21 11:55 AM

Interested in feedback on how OF is working on ML once the fix is applied?

Not sure if this is the correct venue. Noticed that it works BUT for me at least on DP2 when copying text from Mail, going via Services to OF an error is thrown and it does not copy the subject of the mail message to the title of the resulting task. No biggie as I just type it in

error is Cannot convert "794818", type 4 to an NSAppleEventDescriptor.

Lizard 2012-03-21 03:49 PM

We have to be careful what we say publicly about an OS Apple hasn't released yet. It's best to send bug reports like this directly to us in email: [email]omnifocus@omnigroup.com[/email]

justinwithers 2012-03-21 05:22 PM

OK, feel free to delete the post after making a note of it