The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   64-bit test builds of OmniWeb now available (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=30557)

Ken Case 2013-08-01 02:54 PM

64-bit test builds of OmniWeb now available

Hello, OmniWeb fans!

Though OmniWeb is still my primary browser, I mentioned in [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=119968&postcount=75"]my February update[/URL] that it's not where Omni's attention is at the moment. As a company, our attention this year has been focused on projects like [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/test/omnifocus/"]OmniFocus 2[/URL], [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/test/omnioutliner/"]OmniOutliner 4[/URL], and [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/omnipresence/"]OmniPresence[/URL]—leaving [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/"]OmniWeb[/URL] as a "labor of love" project which I work on personally during my spare time.

Well, good news: I just had a brief vacation, and now have the 64-bit version of OmniWeb in a reasonably stable state. The user interface of this version has barely been touched (sorry, I'm afraid it's still using drawers rather than a sidebar!); but it's had a whole lot of work done under the hood—enough so that I've decided to call this version 6, not another version 5.x.

There are some big steps forward in this release: it's now 64-bit, and uses the latest version of WebKit (rather than embedding a customized snapshot of WebKit that continually falls out of date). That's mostly what this release is about, though there are also a few minor fixes like adding [URL="https://duckduckgo.com/"]DuckDuckGo[/URL] as a built-in search shortcut, skipping autofill for password fields that already have a password in them (so it won't wipe out a password you've typed), ad-blocking support for CSS and JavaScript resources (not just images and plug-ins), and so on.

But there are also some steps backwards. Bookmark syncing needs to be rewritten to be based on the approach used in OmniPresence, OmniPlan, or OmniFocus (haven't made up my mind which yet). Site icons ("favicons") are missing. Blocked content should be listed in Page Info and loaded by the "Load All Images" menu item (which should probably be renamed now that other resources can also be blocked).

I expect to be pretty busy with our commercial products until my next vacation, so please don't expect many updates between now and then. But I'm using this version for >99% of my desktop browsing, and I'm hoping a few of you will find it as useful as I do.

So! Without further ado, here's where you'll find my [URL="http://omnistaging.omnigroup.com/omniweb/"]latest OmniWeb test builds[/URL].

P.S. — Yes, I know the graphic on the start page still says "5" where it should say "6". :)

Uli Zappe 2013-08-01 05:18 PM

Ken, thanks sooo much for posting this!

I’ve downloaded and tried the new version, and from what I can see immediately, [B]OmniWeb[/B] runs great and seems to me even faster than the old version! [B]:–)[/B]

One hint for those who are also going to install the new version: The individual Workspaces, Bookmarks etc. are all preserved and used in the new version, but the Preferences are not! So don’t delete your old version just yet. You can launch it along the new version of [B]OmniWeb[/B] without problems, and then can compare and adjust the new [B]OmniWeb’s[/B] Preferences to those you used in your old version.

TimmyDee 2013-08-01 06:18 PM

Awesome! Thanks, Ken.

pjb 2013-08-02 09:54 AM

How do you stay so productive on vacation?
Thanks for the love.

Drayon 2013-08-04 06:57 PM

Wow thanks so much Ken. Any hints on how to get this running on 10.6.8? These Lion/Mt Lion releases have done me no favours. I'd love to chip in to pay for your next holiday to work on OW ;-)

theonehorst 2013-08-04 09:49 PM

Great!!! But I can't open the dmg. Sommerhoff like File System can't be aktivated.

Uli Zappe 2013-08-04 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=Drayon;126679]Wow thanks so much Ken. Any hints on how to get this running on 10.6.8? These Lion/Mt Lion releases have done me no favours. I'd love to chip in to pay for your next holiday to work on OW ;-)[/QUOTE]
I’d be surprised if it was possible without a lot of effort to get the new [B]OmniWeb[/B] running on 10.6. There are many API differences in OS X between 10.6 and >= 10.7, and given the very limited time that’s available for this project as a whole, I doubt it would be wise to spend resources on supporting outdated OS versions. Why are you still running 10.6? Soon we’ll be on 10.9 …

Uli Zappe 2013-08-04 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=theonehorst;126682]Great!!! But I can't open the dmg. Sommerhoff like File System can't be aktivated.[/QUOTE]
Works fine here. Try reloading.

Smithcraft 2013-08-05 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=Uli Zappe;126688]I’d be surprised if it was possible without a lot of effort to get the new [B]OmniWeb[/B] running on 10.6. There are many API differences in OS X between 10.6 and >= 10.7, and given the very limited time that’s available for this project as a whole, I doubt it would be wise to spend resources on supporting outdated OS versions. Why are you still running 10.6? Soon we’ll be on 10.9 …[/QUOTE]
Still running 10.5 here.

SC

Ken Case 2013-08-05 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=Drayon;126679]Any hints on how to get this running on 10.6.8?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it's not possible. Quoting from my [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=109763&postcount=65"]OmniWeb status update of April, 2012[/URL]:

[QUOTE=Ken Case;109763]This new build of OmniWeb requires some new technologies which are being introduced in Mountain Lion, so I'm afraid it won't run on any currently shipping operating systems (such as Lion). OmniWeb 5.11 will continue to run on older operating systems, of course.[/QUOTE]

Long ago, we requested API from Apple which would let us build our own NSURLProtocol handler for HTTP requests. Apple implemented this new API in Mountain Lion (OS X v10.8), and this is what has made it possible for OmniWeb 6 to switch to using the system WebKit rather than embedding our own custom WebKit. Since this was a major change in the OmniWeb's underlying architecture, and since that API simply didn't exist prior to 10.8, it's not possible for OmniWeb 6 to run on earlier operating systems. (That's OmniWeb 5's job!)

udecker 2013-08-06 07:43 AM

Ken,

Six words:

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Craig

sclitheroe 2013-08-06 11:29 AM

Wow! So if I understand correctly, this version of OmniWeb will stay locked to the underlying version of Webkit baked into the OS?

Does this buy us other features, like hardware accelerated scrolling, which Safari is able to take advantage of?

And are extensions a Safari thing, or a webkit thing? 1Password coming back to the OmniWeb party would be quite something!

-Scott

Ken Case 2013-08-06 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=sclitheroe;126741]Wow! So if I understand correctly, this version of OmniWeb will stay locked to the underlying version of Webkit baked into the OS?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE]Does this buy us other features, like hardware accelerated scrolling, which Safari is able to take advantage of?[/QUOTE]

I haven't looked into this yet, but it seems likely. (I doubt it came for free, but maybe we would get this by switching to layer-backed views. Not sure, though—again, I haven't really looked into this yet.)

[QUOTE]And are extensions a Safari thing, or a webkit thing? 1Password coming back to the OmniWeb party would be quite something![/QUOTE]

Extensions are a Safari thing—but now that OmniWeb is 64-bit it's a lot more likely that support could be added for those. Or at least enough support to let OmniWeb integrate with 1Password.

Uli Zappe 2013-08-06 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Uli Zappe;126626]One hint for those who are also going to install the new version: The individual Workspaces, Bookmarks etc. are all preserved and used in the new version, but the Preferences are not! So don’t delete your old version just yet. You can launch it along the new version of [B]OmniWeb[/B] without problems, and then can compare and adjust the new [B]OmniWeb’s[/B] Preferences to those you used in your old version.[/QUOTE]
I found that this is specifically true for History data. If you set your [B]OmniWeb 5[/B] Preferences to save more than the default of 30 days of history, and then launch [B]OmniWeb 6[/B] for the first time, it will use the default of 30 days and immediately delete the rest of your History.

So in this case, it’s best to immediately change the History period to the desired value in [B]OmniWeb 6[/B], quit [B]OmniWeb 6[/B] and then restore the old (pre-OmniWeb 6) [B]History.plist[/B] file from a (Time Machine or other) backup. The next time [B]OmniWeb 6[/B] is launched, it will behave as it should.

Cortig 2013-08-07 07:35 AM

Brilliant!! Absolutely brilliant!
The app is tremendously more responsive than the previous version was for me. It truly works like a charm.

On a side note, I took a look at the “localizationability” and the .nib are compiled so I won’t be able to update anything just yet (though you just mentioned that the UI hasn't changed much yet so I guess that can wait until the resources are in a more permanent state).

Now… if only I could use 1Password in OmniWeb too………… ;-)

Corentin

Mulderscully 2013-08-08 07:07 AM

Thanks Ken! Version 6 has found a place on my dock!

Trackpad gestures?

andreas_g 2013-08-11 02:41 AM

Ken, thank you very much for this!

OmniWeb is still my primary browser, using it for >99% of browsing.
I'll have to wait for 10.9 to test OmniWeb 6 (skipping 10.8). So now i can't wait for 10.9 to be ready ;-)

Scrivener 2013-08-13 06:39 AM

God. I think I'm an OmniWebophile. Really enjoying these v6 updates. The only thing I observed of any use is the three panels on the OmniWeb splash page were a bit tardy in loading (Overview, Features, Support). Otherwise, no issues whatever. May have been SIMBL related:

[CODE]13/08/13 10:19:10.234 PM iTunes[3534]: _NotificationSocketReadCallbackGCD (thread 0x7fff7273f180): Unexpected connection closure...
13/08/13 10:19:10.235 PM ath[3540]: _NotificationSocketReadCallbackGCD (thread 0x7fff7273f180): Unexpected connection closure...
13/08/13 10:19:10.861 PM CalendarAgent[223]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.queue] [Account refresh failed with error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x7f88d0dc88e0 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f88d2c00590 "Could not connect to the server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://name%40gmail.com@calendar.google.com/calendar/dav/name%40gmail.com/user/, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://name%40gmail.com@calendar.google.com/calendar/dav/name%40gmail.com/user/, AccountName=Gmail, CalDAVErrFromRefresh=YES, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server.}]
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: Error loading /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter: dlopen(/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/OmniFoundation.framework/Versions/A/OmniFoundation
Referenced from: /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter
Reason: image not found
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory E20C1FBC-CAD2-4486-89E2-8A9C96D36F3B in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fd3d3a08a80 </Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/'
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: Error loading /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter: dlopen(/Users/WriterAir/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/OmniFoundation.framework/Versions/A/OmniFoundation
Referenced from: /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory E20C1FBC-CAD2-4486-89E2-8A9C96D36F3B in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7ff82a808650 </Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/'
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/
13/08/13 10:23:51.913 PM mdworker[4557]: Error loading /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter: dlopen(/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/OmniFoundation.framework/Versions/A/OmniFoundation
13/08/13 10:23:51.914 PM mdworker[4557]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory E20C1FBC-CAD2-4486-89E2-8A9C96D36F3B in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fe063d100b0 </Users/WriterAir/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
13/08/13 10:23:51.914 PM mdworker[4557]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/'
13/08/13 10:23:51.914 PM mdworker[4557]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Users/WriterAir/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/
[/CODE]
Hope this Console report is of some use.

mbert 2013-08-16 07:44 AM

That's absolutely phantastic news! Thank you so much!

Just one question: how do I get opening tabs by middle click to work? I'm using a tool 'MiddleClick' that simulates the middle button when tapping with three fingers. It works fine with other browser (e.g. chrome), but no longer in OW.

marc 2013-08-21 07:12 PM

This is fantastic Ken, thanks so much for still updating. :)

With a web dev background, I still hop around between browsers, but invariably come back to OW, even though it was falling behind WK.

Thanks again for 64bit, and updated WK…*but to be a discenting voice, please don't take away my tab drawer! ;)

If the voices calling for sidebar are load enough, given OW is pretty niche, could that change be a user preference? I understand switching to a sidebar may require a lot of change, perhaps complicating keeping both options.

IMHO the Drawer works very well on large, and multiple screens; I can quickly swap the side as appropriate for each screen.

Uli Zappe 2013-08-27 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=marc;126969]*but to be a discenting voice, please don't take away my tab drawer! ;)[/QUOTE]
I fully agree with this sentiment!

macsailor 2013-08-30 07:50 AM

I'm glad to see that my old favourite browser Omniweb is slowly coming back to life again. I have missed you!

superhancpetram 2013-09-15 05:08 PM

Gave in and updated to ML today in the hopes that I could continue to use OW. Yes! Now I don't have to open Safari to access mint.com, other banking sites, and (most importantly) Plex/Web.

Not a crash or slowdown yet, either.

Thanks so much Ken!

YoshiDan 2013-09-17 05:29 PM

Wooo. Now omniweb works with all the websites I couldn't load in it anymore. Now I can finally stop having to periodically switch to safari.

Does the switch to the stock Apple Webkit mean that the pop out editor thingy for textareas won't work anymore? I've noticed that when clicking on the icon for it it no longer opens the editor.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I can't open the security preference pane in omniweb, it just sits there and says "loading security" in the title bar. Not a really big deal, but it means I can't mass delete cookies.

Thanks for this update! I was worried that OW had been completely abandoned.

udecker 2013-09-18 06:09 AM

[QUOTE=YoshiDan;127224]Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I can't open the security preference pane in omniweb, it just sits there and says "loading security" in the title bar. Not a really big deal, but it means I can't mass delete cookies.
[/QUOTE]

I noticed that all four panels under “Global Site Preferences” in the Preference window do not open. I’m assuming this is related to using the system WebKit?

I was trying to change my default UserAgent, since Google Image Search has dumbed down for me, and per-site prefs don’t work yet (for me?).

It’s also possible that my prefs are so old, something is getting hosed up. Otherwise, it’s a Sneaky Peek, and I ain’t gonna complain, cause it’s working amazingly well.

YoshiDan 2013-09-18 03:47 PM

Ah yeah, I've just checked. None of the 4 preference panes under global site preferences will load for me either.

Also just realised that the "type and a link is highlighted" thing doesn't work anymore either. I've switched back to ow 5 for now.

pjb 2013-09-21 03:48 PM

I miss the progress circle, find my self reclicking a button only because the server response is slow because there is no indication the app is "thinking".

Uli Zappe 2013-09-21 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=pjb;127360]I miss the progress circle, find my self reclicking a button only because the server response is slow because there is no indication the app is "thinking".[/QUOTE]
??? The progress circle is unchanged.

If it's missing from your toolbar for whatever reason, just add it again.

pjb 2013-09-22 11:55 AM

It is there, it just doesn't move like it did. There's a little movement, then a long pause, then it goes again as the window starts drawing. The process pane shows continuing ongoing background activity while the main browser window is silent.

Fnordoz 2013-09-23 09:14 AM

Another vote for keeping the tab drawer.

technomage 2013-09-24 04:47 PM

does not play nice with Flash

Thanks for the new builds and breathing life back into my preferred and default web browser.

I have an inordinate number of crashes with the last couple of builds trying to play embedded Flash video. Unfortunately, the Omni Crash Catcher is also barfing, so I have to Force Quit both it and the browser and cannot submit the report. Happens reproducibly with any embedded YouTube video at Upworthy.com, for example. Some, but not all, embedded videos on Facebook as well.

BTW, I also use OW specifically for the visual tab drawer, so I consider this a keeper.

leeharveyosmond 2013-10-07 12:13 PM

Installed the Mavericks GM and discovered there were all sorts of sites I couldn't log into any more using 5.10.2 ... Twitter, Facebook and Fetlife (NSFW!) for starters.

Came to the forums looking to see if this had been discussed; instead found sneaky new 64 bit builds; grabbed the newest, and I can log in at those websites again. Weird.

penguirl 2013-10-07 08:15 PM

I ran into a couple of issues with this version of OW. This was in 10.8.5 on a QC 2.8 Xeon Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM.

First, it would not load secure pages, for example [url]https://www.macupdate.com/[/url]
It just seemingly did nothing.

Second, the preferences window would not show the Global Site Preferences, if I clicked the Appearance icon the part of the window beneath the menu bar would go blank until I clicked the Previous button on the menu bar to go back to one of the preferences above the bottom row. This was also true for the Ad Blocking, Languages, and Security panes.

Other than that it seemed to function pretty well, though I'm guessing that we will lose 1Password support (which of course is out of Omni's hands). Thank you for letting us test drive this release. :-)

Uli Zappe 2013-10-08 02:37 AM

[QUOTE=penguirl;127826]First, it would not load secure pages, for example [url]https://www.macupdate.com/[/url]
It just seemingly did nothing.[/QUOTE]
This works fine here (also Mac Pro, but Mavericks GM).

[QUOTE]Second, the preferences window would not show the Global Site Preferences[/QUOTE]
Yep, that's a known bug for all of us. :-)

mbert 2013-10-12 04:53 AM

Hmm, the builds have disappeared from the 'staging' site, or am I missing something?

I've been using my 64-bit 'untested' version for quite a while now, and it works rather well (only one crash in all the time, and of course the known limitations, but still far better than the old, 32-bit version).

Just curious, what is the state of affairs? What (if any) are the next steps?

Ken Case 2013-10-14 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=mbert;127907]Hmm, the builds have disappeared from the 'staging' site, or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that! We switched some build servers around and none of the new servers were configured to build OmniWeb. That's fixed now, so there should be another build posted soon.

[QUOTE]I've been using my 64-bit 'untested' version for quite a while now, and it works rather well (only one crash in all the time, and of course the known limitations, but still far better than the old, 32-bit version).[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it!

[QUOTE]Just curious, what is the state of affairs? What (if any) are the next steps?[/QUOTE]

Well, the very next step is to get the build server to post a new build. :)

But after that, we're still in the same situation as I described at the beginning of this thread, [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?p=126622#post126622"]waiting for my next vacation[/URL]. (Since then we've shipped three iOS 7 apps as well as OmniGraffle 6—and now we're working on shipping OmniOutliner 4 and OmniFocus 2 for Mac—but I'm hoping to take some time off around the end of the year.)

mbert 2013-10-15 11:26 AM

Good to hear this. I can absolutely live with the test version I have now, it's far better than the 32-bit one.

Just one thing - sorry for repeating - using the middle mouse button (or a tap with three fingers when using the MiddleClick application) for opening links in new tabs does not seem to work, any idea why?

AryyParty 2013-10-16 11:06 AM

1Password 4

Many thanks for all your work . Iam running OmniWeb 6 on OsX 10.8.5
and no Problems. It's like meeting an old friend again!
Except lack of 1Password. Wish they would sort that.

mjuengling 2013-10-17 02:07 PM

Crazy

OW6. I'm totally nuts. Freude schöner Götterfunken... ;)

superhancpetram 2013-10-26 05:54 AM

Are the latest builds now 10.9 Mavericks only? I can't run the most recent nightly (10/26) on 10.8.5.

superhancpetram 2013-10-26 07:18 AM

Ah, just noticed the “10.9” only on the test builds page. Guess that’s my cue to update to Mavericks.

Biker4Mac 2013-10-26 08:34 AM

Cannot say how happy I am to see updates on my favorite browser - OmniWeb! Even with limited support in the past few years, Omniweb just continued to do things I couldn't find in any other browser.

Now it looks like I have to update to Mavericks so that I can make use of the new features!

superhancpetram 2013-10-27 08:39 AM

I’m seeing OW 6.0 r.197504 crash every time a page with Flash plugins on it loads. Not on the initial page load, but once I click on the area where the plugin should be.

Eg. with YouTube videos I hear audio playing but there is no video.

Updated Flash player to make sure that wasn’t the issue and disabled any ad-blocking. The same sites seem ok in Safari.

I wasn’t having any issues with Flash prior to upgrading to 10.9 and downloading the latest test build of OW.

Ken Case 2013-10-29 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=superhancpetram;128185]I’m seeing OW 6.0 r.197504 crash every time a page with Flash plugins on it loads. Not on the initial page load, but once I click on the area where the plugin should be.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I've been seeing this since upgrading to 10.9 too, but haven't yet had a chance to look into what broke.

jwthomas 2013-10-31 10:03 PM

Thanks for your dedication to OW, Ken. The latest build is incredibly fast. One problem I’m having though is that Keychain is no longer opening to fill in passwords as before. Keychain still works on Safari. Anyone here have any idea what the problem might be? As far as I can recall I haven’t made any significant changes in settings recently.

Uli Zappe 2013-11-01 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;128275]The latest build is incredibly fast. One problem I’m having though is that Keychain is no longer opening to fill in passwords as before. [/QUOTE]
No problem here with build 197627. Which build are you using?

jwthomas 2013-11-01 06:29 AM

[QUOTE=Uli Zappe;128281]No problem here with build 197627. Which build are you using?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply, Uli. I downloaded build 197882 which is the latest, and I'm running it on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with OS 10.9.

Uli Zappe 2013-11-01 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;128282]Thanks for your reply, Uli. I downloaded build 197882 which is the latest, and I'm running it on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with OS 10.9.[/QUOTE]
I see. The builds are coming so fast it's hard to keep track. ;-)

Hmmm – so I think I'll wait a few days until my next update …

Thanks for bringing this up!

Ken Case 2013-11-01 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;128282]Thanks for your reply, Uli. I downloaded build 197882 which is the latest, and I'm running it on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with OS 10.9.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, the keychain is still working for me with that build on an identical configuration.

My suggestion is to open the Keychain Access app, then open the keychain entry you're trying to use, and double-check that your Access Control settings for that entry are configured to allow access by OmniWeb 6.

jwthomas 2013-11-01 04:39 PM

Thanks, Ken: that seems to have been the problem. Changing
“Confirm before allowing access” to “Allow all applications to access this item” in Access Control got Keychain working again

jwthomas 2013-11-03 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=superhancpetram;128185]I’m seeing OW 6.0 r.197504 crash every time a page with Flash plugins on it loads. Not on the initial page load, but once I click on the area where the plugin should be.

Eg. with YouTube videos I hear audio playing but there is no video.

Updated Flash player to make sure that wasn’t the issue and disabled any ad-blocking. The same sites seem ok in Safari.

I wasn’t having any issues with Flash prior to upgrading to 10.9 and downloading the latest test build of OW.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem, made the same tests with no results. Ken's pretty busy now I assume so we can only wait till his next break.

schallkoerper 2013-11-04 01:19 PM

i updated to Mavericks yesterday, downloaded the latest OmniWeb build but flickr, facebook or rottentomatoes.com doesn`t work at all...

jwthomas 2013-11-04 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=schallkoerper;128312]i updated to Mavericks yesterday, downloaded the latest OmniWeb build but flickr, facebook or rottentomatoes.com doesn`t work at all...[/QUOTE]
Not sure what “doesn’t work at all” means but I was able to bring up the home pages of all of them without signing in (I don’t have accounts) using build #197948 on Mavericks. I don’t doubt that flash doesn’t work on these sites since it doesn’t work on [I]any[/I] sites.

schallkoerper 2013-11-04 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;128315]Not sure what “doesn’t work at all” means but I was able to bring up the home pages of all of them without signing in (I don’t have accounts) using build #197948 on Mavericks. I don’t doubt that flash doesn’t work on these sites since it doesn’t work on [I]any[/I] sites.[/QUOTE]

"doesn't work at all" means that i got pretty much a blank page, no pictures etc...
tried the 197948 Build, same thing there...

i don*t know if its Mavericks combined with OmniWeb 5 but since i started OmniWeb 5 again (cause i'm using flickr pretty much) i can't log in to amazon or other sites.

i have two flickr account, the main one i'm using with OmniWeb, the second one with safari. suddenly i was logged in to the second account with OmniWeb (and was'nt able to log out until i logged out with Safari)...

sorry, sounds strange but maybe familiar to somebody ??

Uli Zappe 2013-11-05 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=schallkoerper;128317]i don*t know if its Mavericks combined with OmniWeb 5 but since i started OmniWeb 5 again (cause i'm using flickr pretty much) i can't log in to amazon or other sites.[/QUOTE]
Yep, that's normal. OmniWeb 5 is definitely broken on Mavericks; many things (especially Javascript related ones) just don't work.

schallkoerper 2013-11-05 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=Uli Zappe;128318]Yep, that's normal. OmniWeb 5 is definitely broken on Mavericks; many things (especially Javascript related ones) just don't work.[/QUOTE]

thanxx Uli,

thats "good" to know. at least i don't have to search for whats wrong anymore...

jwthomas 2013-11-12 02:52 PM

It’s Getting There

As of today’s build 198576 OW 6 development has progressed to the point that
clicking on videos, embedded or at the original source, doesn’t crash OW. It appears that videos whose source is Vimeo play normally with picture and sound. YouTube embedded and YT sourced videos play sound but no picture. Still can’t set all preferences in the general Preferences menu but I was able to set preferences on a site by site basis. I’m now cautiously optimistic that we may have a fully functional OW 6 within the forseeable future. Thanks again, Ken.

jwthomas 2013-12-04 09:32 PM

Getting Better All The Time

Yesterday’s build, 199837, includes fully working video in both image and audio. Still no ability to set Global Preferences but setting preferences for individual sites is still working. I’d say OmniWeb 6, while it still has a way to go to be fully functional, is now acceptable for use as a default browser as long as you have at least one of the ‘major’ browsers for backup. Thanks again, Ken.

I’m running OW6 on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro OS 9 ‘Mavericks’.

Ken Case 2013-12-05 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;128597]Yesterday’s build, 199837, includes fully working video in both image and audio. Still no ability to set Global Preferences but setting preferences for individual sites is still working.[/QUOTE]

Are Global Preferences not working for you in that build? That's the build I'm using right now to post this message, and they seem to be working fine for me. (They should have been fixed starting with r199805.)

[QUOTE]I’d say OmniWeb 6, while it still has a way to go to be fully functional, is now acceptable for use as a default browser as long as you have at least one of the ‘major’ browsers for backup.[/QUOTE]

Anything in particular that you're missing at this point? (I think the thing I personally miss most is a command to load all ad-filtered resources from the page, like Load All Images used to do in OmniWeb 5.)

[QUOTE]Thanks again, Ken.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome!

Cortig 2013-12-05 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128598]Anything in particular that you're missing at this point? (I think the thing I personally miss most is a command to load all ad-filtered resources from the page, like Load All Images used to do in OmniWeb 5.)
[/QUOTE]

The only thing I really miss is the integration with 1Password we had at some point.
I fear that getting it now might require some serious heavy lifting so I won't be holding my breath on it, but since you asked… ;-)

Corentin

jwthomas 2013-12-05 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128598]Are Global Preferences not working for you in that build? That's the build I'm using right now to post this message, and they seem to be working fine for me. (They should have been fixed starting with r199805.)[/QUOTE]

Yes, actually they are. I see that yesterday I was confused about how to get back to the Global Site Preferences after accessing the first one. They seem all right now.

[QUOTE]Anything in particular that you're missing at this point? (I think the thing I personally miss most is a command to load all ad-filtered resources from the page, like Load All Images used to do in OmniWeb 5.)[/QUOTE]

There are no plugins showing up in the Plugins window. I don’t know if that means that OW is not accepting plugins or that the window just doesn’t show them. However, so far I don’t see any evidence of anything not working because of a lack of plugin support.

[QUOTE]You're welcome![/QUOTE]

And thanks again.

superhancpetram 2013-12-06 05:05 PM

With most recent builds (since at least 199962 and on) I’m seeing some issues with digg.com, and the Gawker family (Gizmodo / Lifehacker / Deadspin etc) where those sites load as text-only, or with all page elements left-aligned.

No problems loading those sites from Safari or Chrome, so I assumed something was broken in OW. Anyone else seeing issues?

I reverted to build 199423 and things look normal again.

jwthomas 2013-12-06 05:31 PM

I checked these sites using v. 200072 and can confirm superhancpetram’s post.

derekr 2013-12-06 06:26 PM

I can reproduce! It looks like the stylesheet is downloading, but comes through garbled for whatever reason. (Maybe, maybe related to gzip encoding on the server.)

superhancpetram 2013-12-07 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=superhancpetram;128608]With most recent builds (since at least 199962 and on) I’m seeing some issues with digg.com, and the Gawker family (Gizmodo / Lifehacker / Deadspin etc) where those sites load as text-only, or with all page elements left-aligned.

No problems loading those sites from Safari or Chrome, so I assumed something was broken in OW. Anyone else seeing issues?

I reverted to build 199423 and things look normal again.[/QUOTE]

Did some more checking just now.

Sites look normal in 199596; problem occurs by build 199805. I don't have any builds in between those two to check with, but hopefully that narrows it down a bit more.

Ken Case 2013-12-08 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=superhancpetram;128608]With most recent builds (since at least 199962 and on) I’m seeing some issues with digg.com, and the Gawker family (Gizmodo / Lifehacker / Deadspin etc) where those sites load as text-only, or with all page elements left-aligned.[/QUOTE]

This should be fixed in r200158 and later.

superhancpetram 2013-12-11 04:51 PM

Just downloaded 200449 - crashes seem to be gone and Flash is back! Thanks for the hard work Ken!

jwthomas 2013-12-11 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=superhancpetram;128682]Just downloaded 200449 - crashes seem to be gone and Flash is back! Thanks for the hard work Ken![/QUOTE]

It’s working for me too on all my most visited sites. I’ve refrained from opening any videos just in case, but other links seem to work without a problem. Still need to do something about those plugins.

Ken Case 2013-12-11 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;128684]It’s working for me too on all my most visited sites. I’ve refrained from opening any videos just in case, but other links seem to work without a problem.[/QUOTE]

Videos should be fine at this point as far as I know. (If not, let me know!)

jwthomas 2013-12-11 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128686]Videos should be fine at this point as far as I know. (If not, let me know!)[/QUOTE]
All of the sites I tested flash on worked fine until I opened the Al Jazeera site to test its videos and it crashed upon opening: OG #1006361.

jwthomas 2013-12-13 09:17 PM

Toolbar Icons!

I’ve progressed to v.200864 with few problems and now find new (really *newish*) toolbar icons, prettily colored, mostly variations of the originals and not all new or all colored but quite a welcome surprise. The current version of Gmail seems to be working now so no more need for the Basic HTML setting. Still no plugins. But very stable and much closer to becoming a Release Candidate.

mbert 2013-12-14 11:39 AM

GMail still does not work for me. It's still this indefinite "Loading..." issue. Despite moderate use OW has crashed several times today.

mbert 2013-12-14 11:40 AM

Another thing (still): The OW preview versions still do not support the middle mouse button. Will this be fixed at any time? I cannot imagine that this is a very big deal to fix while it is pretty irritating for me as a user.

Mr.EMan 2013-12-19 04:10 AM

Proxies

I can’t connect using proxies at work. The last version that I can use for proxies is r199736. All I get are blank windows until they time out. I still seem to get this problem with r200940.

mbert 2013-12-26 01:11 AM

Status per today: r201109 does google mail, but still crashes with some sites, still no middle mouse button.

jwthomas 2013-12-26 06:29 AM

Gmail works fine for me on 1109. Only very occasional crashes now.
Still no plugins visible but everything works as if they are functional.
I don’t know what Ken’s plans are for further development but I’d
suggest releasing this version or a near future one as a beta (or alpha) to sites like MacUpdate in order to add more users to the test pool.
The superior speed performance of OW 6 would make it a desirable browser for many despite its current glitches.

mbert 2013-12-26 12:53 PM

Hmm, to me it still seems too unstable.

Ken Case 2013-12-26 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=mbert;128793]Status per today: r201109 does google mail, but still crashes with some sites, …[/QUOTE]

The crashes are happening deep in Apple's code, and I'm having trouble tracking them down. If anyone can help me find a pattern for reliably reproducing them (visiting a particular website, loading a particular set of websites all at once, or whatever), I would love to figure out what it is that's triggering the crash. But right now, I'm not quite sure what the issue is. (Their framework is crashing when it tries to create a copy of a URL response, but I don't know what it is about the response that is crashing it.)

(Turning on both "Copy log to crash reports" and "Show HTTP Requests" in the Error Log window will include more detail in your next crash report, but if you turn those on you should review your crash reports in Mail before sending them, just to make sure you don't send anything sensitive from your browsing history. Search for the string "console-log-for-crash-report.log" to see what history is being sent.)

[QUOTE]… still no middle mouse button.[/QUOTE]

I think the middle mouse button should start working in r201125 and later.

mbert 2013-12-26 11:37 PM

I have a set of pages that always crashes. However I cannot use the automatic mail from the crash catcher, thus would have to send you a PN. But how do I switch on the "Copy log to crash reports" and "Show HTTP Requests"? When I open that crashing workspace the next I see is the crash catcher window, there's nothing to configure in there.

mbert 2013-12-26 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128797]I think the middle mouse button should start working in r201125 and later.[/QUOTE]
Confirmed. Great, thank you!!

mbert 2013-12-26 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128797]The crashes are happening deep in Apple's code, and I'm having trouble tracking them down. If anyone can help me find a pattern for reliably reproducing them (visiting a particular website, loading a particular set of websites all at once, or whatever), I would love to figure out what it is that's triggering the crash. But right now, I'm not quite sure what the issue is. (Their framework is crashing when it tries to create a copy of a URL response, but I don't know what it is about the response that is crashing it.[/QUOTE]
Did some checking. On my box, each time I open 'http://www.kicker.de' OW crashes immediately.

Ken Case 2013-12-26 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=mbert;128799]I have a set of pages that always crashes. However I cannot use the automatic mail from the crash catcher, thus would have to send you a PN. But how do I switch on the "Copy log to crash reports" and "Show HTTP Requests"? When I open that crashing workspace the next I see is the crash catcher window, there's nothing to configure in there.[/QUOTE]

In OmniWeb (before it crashes), open the Error Log from the Window menu. At the top of that window, you'll see checkboxes for "Copy log to crash reports" and "Show HTTP requests".

(I assume the problem with Crash Catcher's automatic mail is that you don't have Mail app configured to work with your email account?)

Ken Case 2013-12-26 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=mbert;128801]Did some checking. On my box, each time I open 'http://www.kicker.de' OW crashes immediately.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That's crashing for me, too; with that as a test case, hopefully I'll be able to track this down.

mbert 2013-12-27 12:48 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128802]In OmniWeb (before it crashes), open the Error Log from the Window menu. At the top of that window, you'll see checkboxes for "Copy log to crash reports" and "Show HTTP requests".[/quote]
I see, I never stumbled across that one, thanks!

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128802](I assume the problem with Crash Catcher's automatic mail is that you don't have Mail app configured to work with your email account?)[/QUOTE]
Correct. It wants to cache all of my mails on disk (and there are a LOT of them on my google mail account) using up too much of my rather expensive SSD space. I rather use Mulberry, but due to limitations in Mulberry it cannot even be used for automatically sending crash reports (the Apple crash catcher honors the 'default mail program' setting, but it does not work with Mulberry).

Ideally the crash catcher should have a third option "generate and display email", that would allow me to always send out crash reports when they come in.

xiamenese 2013-12-27 01:41 AM

I have the same problem, in a way. I use GyazMail as my default mail app rather than Apple Mail, but the OmniWeb crash catcher always sends the data to Apple Mail. I copy the contents and the Subject line to a new mail in GyazMail, send that and then close the mail.app.
It’s only a small step, but a bit of a bore. I wish it was possible to designate an alternative to mail.app as the default for the crash catcher.

mbert 2013-12-27 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128803]Thank you! That's crashing for me, too; with that as a test case, hopefully I'll be able to track this down.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you've already tracked this down? Build 1127 no longer crashes on that page, in fact it hasn't since I installed it.

andreas_g 2013-12-28 07:30 AM

Thank you for all your work, Ken!
The latest version works quite well for me. But one problem remains. I have occasional crashes on various sites. They happen about once or twice a day. I can't see a pattern when it come to the sites where it happens. It even happened in this forum. But looking at the crash report and the crashed thread it seems they are all similar. So it might be one single cause.

The latest crash report that i submitted has ID [OG #1013584]. If you need more reports to see a pattern, please just tell me and i'll post more IDs here as soon as it happens again.

Drayon 2013-12-28 01:53 PM

Magnet link bug still persistent

The "Magnet Link" bug is still lingering and hasn't been attended to, as of r201127.

When copying a Magnet link via Control+click 'copy link to clipboard' from context menu, then pasting the link to a plain text file or RTF with Command+Option+Shift+V (paste and match style) reveals an incorrect format.

Correct format should be:
[B]magnet:?xt=[/B]

OW incorrectly (for some unknown reason), adds a forward slash after the colon:
[B]magnet:/?xt=[/B]

Probably a simple 30 second fix, so would like to see it resolved. thanks

Drayon 2013-12-28 03:25 PM

Page Display 'highlight links when clicked' doesn't work.

Drayon 2014-01-01 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=Drayon;128812]The "Magnet Link" bug is still lingering and hasn't been attended to, as of r201127.

When copying a Magnet link via Control+click 'copy link to clipboard' from context menu, then pasting the link to a plain text file or RTF with Command+Option+Shift+V (paste and match style) reveals an incorrect format.

Correct format should be:
[B]magnet:?xt=[/B]

OW incorrectly (for some unknown reason), adds a forward slash after the colon:
[B]magnet:/?xt=[/B]

Probably a simple 30 second fix, so would like to see it resolved. thanks[/QUOTE]

I can confirm the following fix:

URL with query but no path — Fixed a bug where URLs with a query but no path (e.g. “magnet:?xt=") would get parsed into a URL with an empty path (e.g. “magnet:/?xt=")

Fantastic, thanks.

mbert 2014-01-02 06:30 AM

I've found another problem. When uploading files in an email in google mail, those attachments get lost when the mail is sent. No error message is displayed, but the mail goes out as if there never had been an attachment.

mbert 2014-01-04 04:09 AM

Build #1230 is rather unstable again, crashes every 5 minutes.

Ken Case 2014-01-05 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=mbert;128861]Build #1230 is rather unstable again, crashes every 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Based on the crash reports, it looks like this is the same crash in the caching code of Apple's frameworks which I've been trying to track down for a while. I was hoping that the changes I made last night for the r201285 build would help, but I've already seen a few crash reports in the same place.

superhancpetram 2014-01-05 08:38 AM

r201285 has been good for me so far; haven’t been able to crash it yet.

Drayon 2014-01-05 05:48 PM

So far, so good here too with r201285.

EDIT-oops, spoke too soon, have been browsing with JavaScript disabled. Renabled it, quit OW, releaunched and bang, crasho. Funnily, then crash catcher itself crashed, and so the report didn’t go through... haha.

Is Command+Control+D on a select word bringing up the “look up” Dictionary for anyone else, as it isn’t here.

mbert 2014-01-06 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128870]Based on the crash reports, it looks like this is the same crash in the caching code of Apple's frameworks which I've been trying to track down for a while. I was hoping that the changes I made last night for the r201285 build would help, but I've already seen a few crash reports in the same place.[/QUOTE]
If there was a way to generate the crash report email and display it, so that I can copy and paste and send it to you, I could send you mine, too.

mbert 2014-01-14 10:14 PM

OmniWeb-6-r201776-Test.dmg was the most stable version since OmniWeb-6-r201127-Test.dmg. Subsequent OmniWeb-6-r201813-Test.dmg crashed immediately at startup.

Ken Case 2014-01-14 10:41 PM

[QUOTE=mbert;128884]If there was a way to generate the crash report email and display it, so that I can copy and paste and send it to you, I could send you mine, too.[/QUOTE]

The crash reporter just opens a Compose window in Mail, it doesn't require that you send it there. (You can copy and paste it into something else.)

Mail does require that you configure [I]an[/I] account before it will open a Compose window, but it could be any account on any mail server—and once it's set up you can tell Mail to go offline and not actually use it.

Ken Case 2014-01-14 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=mbert;128966]OmniWeb-6-r201776-Test.dmg was the most stable version since OmniWeb-6-r201127-Test.dmg. Subsequent OmniWeb-6-r201813-Test.dmg crashed immediately at startup.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I just upgraded to 201813 and it launched just fine for me (and reopened a few dozen tabs scattered across a number of windows, including this one). Since I haven't been changing anything related to OmniWeb in these builds (which is why the release notes haven't changed), I suspect you're just experiencing the randomness of the crash in Apple's frameworks. (I think it's a timing-dependent concurrency issue.)

superhancpetram 2014-01-19 12:09 PM

Is it just me or did Google Maps stop working? I’ve gone back through a number of previous builds and can’t find one test build that works.