The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Using Omnifocus for iPad as a standalone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22045)

Jem4270 2011-09-02 05:49 AM

Using Omnifocus for iPad as a standalone

I'm new to both the iPad and GTD. I'm also a PC user. I don't have a Mac or iPhone. I've been doing a lot of research on GTD apps for the iPad, and keep coming back to Omnifocus.

Is Omnifocus worth the money if I plan to use it as a standalone on the iPad, or is it necessary to have it synced to a Mac to get the most out of it? Or, would it be better for me to look at other apps that would sync to a website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm driving myself crazy looking at apps!!

Stargazer 2011-09-02 07:51 AM

I use OF on iPad without desktop (though I did later get it on iPhone as well. The iPad version of OF is fully functional, and I think many folks consider it to be easier to use than the desktop version. That said, it is an iPad app, meaning that you'll have to be comfortable typing on the iPad and viewing things through the iPad interface to use it. But then that's true of all iPad apps. You certainly do not need to have a desktop version of OF to use the iPad version.

I checked a few other iPad alternatives like Appigo's ToDo and Toodledo and Things, but ultimately rejected them because I wanted the features that OF offered (sync, subtasks, folders, etc.).

My only caveat would be that I find the usefulness of OF to be much greater when I can view my information on my iPhone as well as iPad, because I always have my iPhone with me. With both sync'd together, I can use the iPhone as an all-the-time capture device, as well as being able to use it for errands, grocery lists, and so on without having to lug the iPad everywhere.

If you have a mobile device but not an iPhone, then it might be worth it to find a solution that lets you sync to that mobile device as well.

One other thought -- the main knock most people have against Things is that it doesn't really have a workable sync solution. If you aren't going to sync anyway, then Things might be a workable alternative as well.

But to answer your original question, yes, OF on iPad is worth the money, and no, it isn't necessary to have a desktop to sync it with.

whpalmer4 2011-09-02 08:04 AM

There are some significant additions you get when you have a Mac with OmniFocus in the mix, but it might be easier to live without them if you've never had them :-) The most significant one is probably perspectives, which I'm confident will eventually show up on the iPad, and until it does, you should be able to get the Omni support people to help you construct them (and if they decline, I will help you).

Do your due diligence (watch all the videos, read the reviews, etc.) and if you think OmniFocus for iPad might be the tool for you, buy it at some time when you can really put it to work over the next 30 days. If it turns out that it doesn't do the job you need it to do, you can get a refund from Omni so long as you make the request within 30 days of purchasing it.

Tedallen 2011-09-02 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;101300]There are some significant additions you get when you have a Mac with OmniFocus in the mix, but it might be easier to live without them t.[/QUOTE]

I use OF on an iPad and don't have a Mac. At the risk of riling some peoplemup, based on the OF for Mac part of this forum, it appears of late as if the Mac additions are problems.

Seriously, I've found using it on iPad only to be very worthwhile. Initially I did not buy it for my iPhone and just used a very simple free list program on the phone to carry lists for errands. But I rely enough on OF that I also bought the iPhone license. I still am not sure it was the most cost effective investment (iPhone app) but I don't regret it

My wife has a Mac so I used it for a 14 day trial of OF to create perspectives to download to the iPad. They are useful, but not critical

But the thing I found was that it seems to me that the iPad implementation is far more usable than the Mac version. It's more intuitive. Just because it's on the iPad it's much easier to have it with you and use it.

I like it a lot and don't feel the loss of not having the Mac

Jem4270 2011-09-02 02:19 PM

Thanks to all who replied. That was just the info I was looking for. I'm very comfortable using the iPad and really want to make the most of it. I'm now convinced that OmniFocus is right for me. I've already purchased ToDo and Toodledo, but felt they were missing some things. Thanks again!