The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Bug Reports (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   PDFs only save as webarchive (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=15511)

Clytie 2010-03-07 02:46 AM

PDFs only save as webarchive

Hi everyone :)

I did find a post saying there were currently problems with PDFs, but searching the Omniweb fora for "PDF" brought up 0 posts (!). So sorry if this has already been mentioned.

For quite some time now, I've found that PDFs opened in Omniweb will not save as PDFs. Clicking the Save icon at the bottom of the PDF page brings up the standard Save dialogue, but specifying "Web Archive", and the filename has the .webarchive extension. Saving the PDF this way in fact produces a Web Archive, not a PDF.

I've had to work around this by opening the PDF in Preview, but that's a few more clicks and movements that I could do without.

Does anyone know why the PDF plugin isn't saving as PDF?

Thanks for any info you can provide on this. :)

whpalmer4 2010-03-07 02:57 PM

What versions of OS and OmniWeb are you using? With what I believe to be a stock setup, using 10.6.2 and r125886 (the latest 5.10.2 sneaky peek available at the moment), if I visit a page containing a PDF file, such as the OmniWeb manual at [url]http://downloads.omnigroup.com/software/MacOSX/Manuals/OmniWeb-5.0-Manual.pdf[/url] and attempt to save the page with File->Save (cmd-S) after loading it, I get a sheet that offers me the choice of saving the file as Source or as a Web Archive, and if I choose Source, double-clicking the resulting file opens it in Preview with no extra steps required. Clicking on the Save button that shows up over the bottom center when the document is first loaded in OmniWeb produces an identical result.

Can you give an example of a page that produces this behavior for you, if it works properly for the URL mentioned above, but not for others?

By the way, searches on the forum for 3-letter strings don't ever return any results in my experience. So, searching for "PDFs" will get a bunch of hits, but not "PDF" -- kind of a bummer when you can't be sure that the post you want to find had a 4-letter string you can identify!

Clytie 2010-03-08 05:51 AM

I have to admit, it hasn't occurred to me to choose the "Save as Source" option, because I've assumed the Source was HTML, since the other option was Web Archive. Earlier versions of this plugin in Omniweb have saved as PDF by default. I'm confused as to why this is not happening. Surely someone trying to Save a PDF then wants to Save as PDF?

I'll try the Save as Source option next time, thanks. However, I'd really like to see the old, basic function back: hitting the Save button in a PDF will actually save it as PDF.

Thanks for the tip about searching the forum. I was a bit puzzled by the lack of results for such a common topic. ;)

whpalmer4 2010-03-08 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=Clytie;74387]I have to admit, it hasn't occurred to me to choose the "Save as Source" option, because I've assumed the Source was HTML, since the other option was Web Archive. Earlier versions of this plugin in Omniweb have saved as PDF by default. I'm confused as to why this is not happening. Surely someone trying to Save a PDF then wants to Save as PDF?

I'll try the Save as Source option next time, thanks. However, I'd really like to see the old, basic function back: hitting the Save button in a PDF will actually save it as PDF.
[/QUOTE]

As I said, if I do this with the aforementioned web pages, exactly what you want to happen, happens. If you are seeing other behavior with different pages, tell us where we can find those pages and maybe the reason for the differing behavior can be determined. I thought that perhaps if I tried to save a webarchive first, that it might default to my previous choice, but even that hunch didn't pan out -- it always defaulted to the right choice.