The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Parsing email? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5872)

carllerche 2007-11-27 11:34 AM

Parsing email?

Hello,

I'm confused about how to get OmniFocus to parse email. Is it possible to tell it to parse all email that's sent to a particular address? For example, if I setup [email]omnifocus@mydomain.com[/email] and alias it to my personal account, can I tell omni focus to parse all that email?

The help is still somewhat empty on that regard.

Tim Wood 2007-11-27 06:01 PM

Right now you can set it up to grab email that has "+omnifocus" in the To line (as in "me+omnifocus@domain.com") or with a prefix in the subject line ("--task>project@context").

If you find [email]omnifocus@domain.com[/email] easier, you could certainly set that up as an alias for your normal address with "+omnifocus" added in.

akelley 2007-11-28 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=Tim Wood;26573]Right now you can set it up to grab email that has "+omnifocus" in the To line (as in "me+omnifocus@domain.com") or with a prefix in the subject line ("--task>project@context").

If you find [email]omnifocus@domain.com[/email] easier, you could certainly set that up as an alias for your normal address with "+omnifocus" added in.[/QUOTE]
I tried creating "me+omnifocus@mac.com" as an alias in .Mac but unfortunately "+" is not an accepted character. I suspect it won't work for email accounts in .Mac as well. Any possibility to simply parse for "omnifocus" from "meomnifocus.mac" instead?

Tim Wood 2007-11-28 05:34 PM

Ouch; I've logged <bug://bugs/43480> (More options for 'To' matching in Mail integration).

IntlOrange 2007-12-01 05:31 AM

For what it's worth, once OmniFocus creates the rule in Mail, it seems you can edit it as you like. So, OF initially creates a rule to look for messages addressed to "xxx+omnifocus@mydomain.com". Then you can modify it (in Mail, not OF) to look for messages sent to "todo@mydomain.com".

My email provider does support plus-addressing, but I just didn't want to have to type "+omnifocus". It's faster for me to just send a note to "todo," and besides, "omnifocus" is not meaningful to me in the context of "just wanting to put an action on my list." I shouldn't have to think about OmniFocus at all until I get back to my main computer and start using it.

brianogilvie 2007-12-02 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=akelley;26732]I tried creating "me+omnifocus@mac.com" as an alias in .Mac but unfortunately "+" is not an accepted character. I suspect it won't work for email accounts in .Mac as well. Any possibility to simply parse for "omnifocus" from "meomnifocus.mac" instead?[/QUOTE]

You don't need to create a separate alias. Mail to "me+omnifocus@mac.com" will get delivered to [email]me@mac.com[/email]. I just verified with my own .Mac account.