The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Feature request: setting the flag through keyboard (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4602)

esciara 2007-08-21 12:39 AM

Feature request: setting the flag through keyboard

Hi There,

I have a request. Each time I enter a new task I am using the tab to move through the text field but I have to use the mouse to check the flag. Could we have the possibility to move through all fields (not only text fields) using the tab key and check them using the space bar?

Em

BwanaZulia 2007-08-21 02:54 AM

Shift + Command + L

Enjoy.

BZ

esciara 2007-08-21 04:23 AM

[QUOTE=BwanaZulia;19740]Shift + Command + L

Enjoy.

BZ[/QUOTE]
Ah. Cool thanks!

Though after thinking about it, I think it would still be more intuitive to be able to tab through it and selecting/unselecting it with the space bar when adding a new action. One would tab anyway to move through the text fields.

Cheers!

Em

brianogilvie 2007-08-21 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=esciara;19746]Ah. Cool thanks!

Though after thinking about it, I think it would still be more intuitive to be able to tab through it and selecting/unselecting it with the space bar when adding a new action. One would tab anyway to move through the text fields.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that it's because command-shift-L is the command to flag and unflag messages in Mail.app, so it brings more user interface consistency over the operating system.

curt.clifton 2007-08-21 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=brianogilvie;19779]My guess is that it's because command-shift-L is the command to flag and unflag messages in Mail.app, so it brings more user interface consistency over the operating system.[/QUOTE]

True and good. But having both ways of toggling the flag makes sense to me. There is ample precedent for multiple shortcuts in OF. (For example, 'r' and Cmd-].)

I actually submitted a feature request for the tab+space behavior about a month ago. It is what I expect for consistency with check-box columns in OmniOutliner.

brianogilvie 2007-08-23 07:12 PM

I agree that both would be ideal. I find myself tabbing and spacing in vain even though I know how to get that action flagged.

GeekLady 2007-08-24 04:30 AM

It should work that way for consistency's sake, it's one of the Mac's UI givens. Especially if you have 'Tabbing between all controls' enabled in your keyboard preferences. Even if you know the shortcuts, you're in tab-and-enter-data mode while using QE, and it's jarring that tabbing doesn't work to toggle the flag or the note.

dbyler 2007-08-24 05:22 AM

It would be fabulous to have single-key shortcuts for some of these features. Since "escape" toggles between edit and navigation modes*, when you're in navigation mode it would be nice to be able to just type "f" -- not Command-F -- to toggle flag status on the selected item(s).

*Omni may have a formal term for this; if so, please let me know.

rmathes 2009-01-24 06:48 PM

I can set the flag with the keyboard command if OmniFocus is the active application, but it’s not working if I'm using the quick entry window while another application is active.

Am I missing something? It’s a pain to do this with the mouse to trackpad every time.

Humbro 2009-01-28 05:48 AM

@rmathes: It works for me in the quick entry window, also from other apps.