The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   location feature not working (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8745)

keb152 2008-07-16 03:32 AM

location feature not working

I've had omnifocus for several days now and the location feature doesn't seem to work. When I click on the button for Nearby locations, it just says "Finding Location". It never actually finds anything though, no matter where I am. Maybe I don't understand how the feature works and have to set something up in the desktop version? :confused:

BwanaZulia 2008-07-16 06:10 AM

Have you set up contexts with locations? If not, nothing will happen.

I set up my @Work and @Office contexts with my work address and it works like a charm.

BZ

keb152 2008-07-16 06:46 AM

I do have some contexts set up. After going to the contexts folder, choosing a context and hitting the location button, the app crashes. I've reset my phone and now it crashes every time I open it.

BwanaZulia 2008-07-16 07:55 AM

Yeah, it has been crashing for me a lot. Basically almost every time I open it.

I wish I could send off crash reports.

BZ

jet14 2008-07-16 08:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've also been having issues with the location feature, although thankfully without immediate crashes.

To my thinking, the problem seems to be that the OF-on-iPhone app doesn't always "refresh" what it THINKS the current location is. I've had several occasions where I've seen the first attached screen ("No locations assigned"), despite HAVING locations assigned. I then assign any context to have "Current Location" as its location, get prompted to allow access to my location, and "Presto!", I get the second attached screenshot, with all of my relevant locations showing.

Hope this can be fixed (and yes, all of this has already gone to OG as e-mails).

Brian 2008-07-16 08:24 AM

One of the other ninjas is working on helping folks get the location contexts working - I think there needs to be at least one active action assigned to the context, you may want to do a google map search to make sure the keyword you're searching against returns some results; there may be other tips as well.

If you could send email to [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com[/EMAIL], we'll get you sorted.

If the app is just crashing on open, can you try the steps in this technote:
[URL="http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1702"]Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store[/URL]
(though you can skip the part where they ask you to report the crash in iTunes. Also note that reinstalling the app will mean that you'll have to re-send your sync settings, if you're doing that.)

If it's a crash during use of the application and folks do manage to figure out a reproducible set of steps that crash the app, we'd love to hear about it. Once we can repro a crash, we can figure out what's causing it.

One thing to keep in mind is that OmniFocus for iPhone is doing a lot of the same stuff that OmniFocus for Mac does, but it's doing it on a device with 128 MB of ram to share between apps and the OS. If the device runs out of memory, we're going to get shut down. It's possible that something simple like not using the iPod and OmniFocus at the same time will buy you some breathing room.

In any case, we're definitely looking into this - once we start getting crash reports from Apple, and once we get some repro cases for some of the crashes, you'll see improvements.

Ken Case 2008-07-16 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=jet14;41114]I then assign any context to have "Current Location" as its location, get prompted to allow access to my location, and "Presto!", I get the second attached screenshot, with all of my relevant locations showing.[/QUOTE]

Ah ha! Thanks for that extra bit of insight, we've fixed this for 1.0.2. (OmniFocus was failing to look up your current location if all your searches were business searches.)