The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Auto-update = multiple App copies in the Applications Folder? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6371)

nggalai 2007-12-19 02:48 AM

Auto-update = multiple App copies in the Applications Folder?

Hi there,

today, after a couple of weeks, I opened the Applications folder again. I hardly ever do that, so … Well.

There were 29 copies of OmniFocus in that directory, neatly numbered by release. The first one was 95099.

Now, has anybody else seen such a behaviour? It might be important to note that 1) I am NOT the admin on this Mac (but the admin password question shows up nicely when self-updating) and that 2) I also found a slew of OmniWeb copies in the Applications directory …

I’m running 10.4.11 Tiger on a MacBook Pro, in case that’s important.

Cheers,
-Sascha

P. S. Also sent as feedback, OG #246709.

HERMAN 2007-12-19 02:58 AM

Hi Sascha,

how do you update? Do you leave a copy, or delete the original? I checked "delete original" and that one ends up in my Trash (where I find the slew of older versions).

I'm running Leo, though.

Richard Flynn 2007-12-19 03:32 AM

I’m in the same situation as you, Sascha. I don’t run as Administrator. I use auto-update in the application—it asks me to validate when I install a new build, but regardless of whether or not I have the ‘Archive existing version before updating’ option checked, I always end up with different builds sitting in my Applications folder. I just remember to check the folder every few days and clear out all the old builds, it’s not a great headache. I suspect that what’s happening is that we’re being asked to authenticate to copy the new application [b]into[/b] the Applications folder, but we’re not being asked to authenticate for deleting the old builds.

nggalai 2007-12-19 03:40 AM

Hi Herman,

I use “Check for Updates”, a window pops up, I chose “Install” (no archiving) and that’s that …

Hi Richard,

ah, so it really seems to be a “non-admin” issue! I remember the headache that was the new auto-update function in OmniWeb a while ago. Seems as if OF and OW use the same technique (understandably so).

It’s not a biggie, really. I just need to remember to clean out my Applications folder from time to time. As I usually don’t look in there –*I use Spotlight to start my applications –*this is an extra step I’d like to avoid, but for the time being … After all, there won’t be four updates a day after the Beta is over, I guess. :D

Cheers,
-Sascha

HERMAN 2007-12-19 04:48 AM

Hi Sascha,
I'm not running as admin either. So could it be a Tiger/Leo thing? Do you have the "delete disk image" checkbox checked before OF asks about relaunching?

nggalai 2007-12-19 07:45 AM

Hi Herman,

yes, I have that checkbox, well, checked, and funny enough, there’s an OF application in my trash after updating.

I’ll check again with the next update.

Cheers,
-Sascha

nggalai 2007-12-20 01:11 AM

Okay, quick update:

Apparently, the old OF versions DO get deleted. At any rate, after updating today, there’s only the shell of the old version left in the Applications folder –*an empty application with 0 KB.

Probably a permissions problem. As my user installed the app, everything in it is owned by my user and can be deleted with user privileges –*but the app folder itself needs admin privileges to be deleted, so it isn’t.

That’s how Firefox auto-updates: It doesn’t replace firefox.app as a whole, but just writes over the contents of firefox.app. No Admin validation is needed.

Cheers,
-Sascha