The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Extras (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Script to finish off a Hazel Rule (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=26123)

NewlyHooked 2012-10-09 01:50 PM

Script to finish off a Hazel Rule

Disclosure ---> Never written a script before !

Looking for a simple one i think to go at the end of a Hazel rule (is working) that renames a pdf, emails it, then I want to simply Bring up the OF Quick entry window.

The pdf report may not have any Actions to do so I may just Esc and cancel.

I dont want it to automatically create the entry context even.

successfully copied some scripts that attached my pdf to a new task with the new file name Hazel made (which would be a bonus..) but I never saw the Quick Entry window to tweek the task.

Sorry if this goes in different Forum.

NH

Dale 2012-10-11 02:11 PM

It is not clear if you want to bring up the OF quick entry panel and have a task with the details filled in for the file or only a blank task? When discussing scripts, it is beneficial to see the script you are currently using. If you could copy & paste and post it to this thread members of the forum can probably help identify a better solution.

I am not sure having the OF quick entry window seemingly to pop up randomly with none or a blank task would be productive in my opinion. I would consider such an event a mis-key of the keyboard shortcut and dismiss it entirely. If I were to use this, having a task filled out would be preferred to add context as to why the OF quick entry panel appeared.

Regardless of my workflow preferences. To answer your question regarding "simply bring up the OF quick entry window".

Option 1: OF quick entry panel (no tasks created).

[CODE]
tell application "OmniFocus"
activate
tell quick entry
open
end tell
end tell
[/CODE]

Option 2: OF quick entry panel (blank task created).

[CODE]
activate
tell quick entry
open
set NewTask to make new inbox task
end tell
end tell
[/CODE]

Option 3: OF quick entry panel (task created with properties listed between {} characters).

[CODE]
activate
tell quick entry
open
set NewTask to make new inbox task with properties {}
end tell
end tell
[/CODE]

NewlyHooked 2012-10-14 09:48 PM

Thank you

Dale,
Thanks for the response. I would post any script I had, but sadly I'm so new to this I had none except trial and errors and more errors from copied and pasted ideas.

I've saved your three examples. And now I have to figure out how to attach the file to the Task if I do in fact go ahead and create a NewTask (vs cancel)

Disregarding random quick task pop ups, I'd use this prompt as one last chance to decide on an action task to start from my saved report ( hazel rule) or be truly finished with the report.
Various contexts or projects may be theNewTask so pre-defining them not really helpful. (Yet...)

I'm on Step 0.5 of learning how these scripts can help my productivity so any suggestions are awesome.

Thanks again.

NH