The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Completed Actions Hiding Immediately (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12705)

Toadling 2009-06-02 01:33 PM

Completed Actions Hiding Immediately

Recently, I've noticed a few times where a completed action is hidden immediately after I check it off, even though I have the "Preferences -> Data -> Immediately hide completed items" setting disabled.

This only seems to happen in context mode, particularly in my Due perspective. But it's intermittent and I haven't been able to reproduce it consistently.

Has anybody else seen this happening?

-Dennis

Ken Case 2009-06-02 01:43 PM

Maybe the actions in question belong to a project with automatically completes when its children complete? Context mode immediately filters out inactive projects, so (despite the preference) any items in that project would disappear immediately.

Toadling 2009-06-02 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;60740]Maybe the actions in question belong to a project with automatically completes when its children complete?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that may account for some of the occurrences I've seen, but in this particular case the completed task was in a single-action list containing several other incomplete actions.

When the action was hidden immediately, I hit undo and tried again. The same thing happened. But when I left the action unchecked, switched to a few other perspectives, and later came back, the same action didn't hide immediately when checked off.

I'm not really sure what the issue is and can't consistently reproduce it. I'll continue to watch for a pattern.

-Dennis

whpalmer4 2009-06-02 02:14 PM

I've noticed this once or twice, and have assumed that it is because of the project auto-completion, but I wonder if there might be a possibility that a sync completing at just the right time might also cause something like this?

ext555 2009-06-03 12:22 PM

I've seen it once or twice also , I think you may be onto something with the sync completing at the exact time .

Toadling 2009-06-03 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=ext555;60787]I think you may be onto something with the sync completing at the exact time .[/QUOTE]

That would certainly explain why this only seems to happen in rare cases.

But would it account for seeing the same behavior repeatedly when I undo the checkbox and click it again? I tried maybe 3 or 4 times while in the same perspective -- click checkbox, action hides, undo, action reappears, click checkbox, action hides again, undo, and so on.

It wasn't until I left the perspective (leaving the action unchecked), poked around a few other perspectives, and then came back. At that point, clicking the action's checkbox correctly put a line through it but did not hide it until clean up.

-Dennis

Toadling 2009-06-05 06:05 PM

Aha, I think I've discovered why my completed actions were hiding immediately: I had the view bar set to show only [I]available[/I] contexts (left-most menu in the view bar) in context mode of my due perspective.

So whenever I completed an action in context mode that was the [I]only[/I] action in the given context, the context would become unavailable and be hidden from the view, along with the just completed action. This made it appear as if the action was being immediately cleaned up when checked off.

I've since changed my perspective to show [I]remaining[/I] contexts instead of [I]available[/I]. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

-Dennis