The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   BE TA! BE TA! BETA..... backup (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3502)

Ken Case 2007-05-13 11:30 AM

Ethan has actually been living in it for months, which we view as clearly insane. :) (None of us were ready to take that step ourselves until sometime within the last month!)

I assume everyone who is interested in testing OmniFocus has signed up for the [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/omnifocus-beta-announce"]OmniFocus-beta-announce[/URL] list? If not, I'd advise you to do so very, very soon.

BwanaZulia 2007-05-13 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=JKT]I suspect that Ethan has been [I]testing[/I] it for months and that is not the same as [I]using[/I] it for that period of time.[/QUOTE]

I am just going by what he said in the video. Pretty sure it was "using".

BZ

BwanaZulia 2007-05-13 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]Ethan has actually been living in it for months, which we view as clearly insane. :) (None of us were ready to take that step ourselves until sometime within the last month!)

I assume everyone who is interested in testing OmniFocus has signed up for the [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/omnifocus-beta-announce"]OmniFocus-beta-announce[/URL] list? If not, I'd advise you to do so very, very soon.[/QUOTE]

Signed up. Can't wait to see some action (and do some tasks!)

I nag because I care. :)

BZ

SpiralOcean 2007-05-13 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]Ethan has actually been living in it for months, which we view as clearly insane. :) (None of us were ready to take that step ourselves until sometime within the last month!)

I assume everyone who is interested in testing OmniFocus has signed up for the [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/listinfo/omnifocus-beta-announce"]OmniFocus-beta-announce[/URL] list? If not, I'd advise you to do so very, very soon.[/QUOTE]

Duuude... don't tease us like that...
Bring it on baby... bring it on...

Lozz 2007-05-13 01:21 PM

Save the Fury

This wasnt a post complaining about how long this is taking, or anything like that, Im quite happy to continue with KGTD at the moment and wait for a BETA to TEST before seeing a final version. I was wondering about the backup mechanism.

Its like the Guinness....

Ken Case 2007-05-13 02:34 PM

[QUOTE]Will it be possible to import GTD data from other apps (KGTD, Actiontastic, etc)?[/QUOTE]

Yes, OmniFocus currently imports Kinkless documents. (Select Import from the File menu and point it at your Kinkless document.)

[QUOTE]Will there be some form of backup mechanism for the Beta (Perhaps a way of dumping the data to an OO file to be preserved incase of crash and corruption during early beta?[/QUOTE]

If you select "Back Up Database..." from the File menu, it will make an XML archive of all your tasks which you can open as an independent document in OmniFocus (by double-clicking) or use to restore your main library (by selecting "Revert to Database Backup...").

You can also publish your tasks to iCal using the "Publish to iCal" menu item, although the current implementation of that is very naive. (We're working on two-way synchronization with iCal, but it's somewhat destabilizing so we're doing that work on a branch rather than on the main line of development. The current "Publish to iCal" implementation that's in the alpha just runs some simple AppleScript that loops through all your tasks and pushes them out to an OmniFocus calendar in iCal.)

BwanaZulia 2007-05-14 04:08 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]The current "Publish to iCal" implementation that's in the alpha just runs some simple AppleScript that loops through all your tasks and pushes them out to an OmniFocus calendar in iCal.)[/QUOTE]

Is that the planned feature or just a quick work around for Alpha versions?

I ask because reading that concerns me that you are going to go away from the way kGTD does it which is to publish on Calender per Context which has some great advantages.

- In iCal you can choose to view any calendar you want, thereby focusing in on what you can do at that time (very GTD).

- When syncing to the Palm, multiple calendars also allows you focus on a context in the Tasks of the Palm (Email/Calls/etc) which is again, good GTD.

If you dump everything into one big calendar, there will be no way to distinguish that on the Palm/iCal and for my 100+ tasks that gets me back to having to go through them all to figure out what to do.

A clarification would be great.

BZ

Ken Case 2007-05-14 06:23 AM

[QUOTE]Is that the planned feature or just a quick work around for Alpha versions?[/QUOTE]

The planned feature is that you select a calendar for each context, but in current alpha builds the script (did I mention it's naive?) publishes to a single calendar which it rebuilds each time. (It does put the context name and project names in the task summary so you aren't totally lost when viewing them later.)

Here's the current script (again, note that this is not the planned feature!):

[CODE]global targetCalendar
tell application "iCal"
set CalendarName to "OmniFocus Export"
try
delete (first calendar whose name is CalendarName)
end try
make calendar with properties {name:CalendarName, color:{43176, 24158, 54227}, description:"OmniFocus tasks"}
set targetCalendar to first calendar whose name is CalendarName
end tell

tell first document of application "OmniFocus"

repeat with aContext in contexts
set MyContextID to (id of aContext)
set MyContext to context id MyContextID
PublishContext of me from MyContext
end repeat

end tell

tell application "iCal" to activate

on PublishContext from SomeContext
using terms from application "OmniFocus"
PublishContextTasks of me from SomeContext
repeat with childContext in contexts of SomeContext
PublishContext of me from childContext
end repeat
end using terms from
end PublishContext

on PublishContextTasks from SomeContext
using terms from application "OmniFocus"
repeat with aTask in (tasks of SomeContext where blocked is false)
set taskName to name of aTask
set taskProject to containing project of aTask
using terms from application "iCal"
tell targetCalendar
make todo at end of todos with properties {summary:name of SomeContext & ": " & taskName & " [" & name of taskProject & "]"}
end tell
end using terms from
end repeat
end using terms from
end PublishContextTasks[/CODE]

BwanaZulia 2007-05-14 06:52 AM

I guess you can't use the AppleScript that Ethan wrote?

Either way, glad to know you are going down that same path, because it is well thought out and works really well (besides the syncing issues, but I can't tell if they are Missing Sync, iSync, iCal, kGTD or what)

BZ

TommyW 2007-05-14 09:57 AM

Real Soon?

As in...

Like Now?