The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Locations not working (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8594)

swilcox 2008-07-12 07:44 PM

Locations not working

When I go to the Locations panel (clicking on the GPS icon, or whatever it's called, at the bottom menu) OF goes to a Nearby screen, and then displays "Finding Location ..." -- FOREVER!

Is this not working?

Joel 2008-07-12 07:58 PM

It won't work for tasks that are still in your inbox, a task must have both project and context assigned, and that context must have a location assigned to it as well.

Of particular note here is that if you haven't set an address as your location or used your current location for a context, OmniFocus initially isn't location aware -- A business search location to a context isn't enough to kick-start the location awareness.

Hope that helps,

ahinds 2008-07-12 08:05 PM

Same here...

[Edited]

I'm having the same problem here - that is, if I hit 'Current Location' to assign a location to a context, it just spins forever. Interestingly, I've noticed that Loopt exhibits the same issue; the built-in maps app seems fine.

Otherwise, the iPhone app is fantastic. :)

--Alexis

swilcox 2008-07-12 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=Joel;40423]It won't work for tasks that are still in your inbox, a task must have both project and context assigned, and that context must have a location assigned to it as well.

Of particular note here is that if you haven't set an address as your location or used your current location for a context, OmniFocus initially isn't location aware -- A business search location to a context isn't enough to kick-start the location awareness.

Hope that helps,[/QUOTE]

Yes, helped a lot. It's now working. Now I have to wrap my head around this application.

Thanks!

Ken Case 2008-07-13 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Joel;40423]Of particular note here is that if you haven't set an address as your location or used your current location for a context, OmniFocus initially isn't location aware -- A business search location to a context isn't enough to kick-start the location awareness.[/QUOTE]

And just in case it wasn't clear: yes, we consider this a bug and plan to fix it.

whosyourtator 2008-07-14 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Joel;40423]It won't work for tasks that are still in your inbox, a task must have both project and context assigned, and that context must have a location assigned to it as well.

Hope that helps,[/QUOTE]

I tried what you mention above. All actions are assigned a project and all actions have a context. Each context has been set to current. I still get "No Locations Assigned" in the Nearby view.

Joel 2008-07-14 11:37 AM

"No Locations Assigned" sounds like OmniFocus still hasn't tapped into the Location Awareness Service, have you tried setting your current location or an address as a location to another context?

gtdToday 2008-07-14 01:57 PM

more location issues

Well unlike last night the app does seem to be able to access some locational services...and it looks really promising/exciting.

It's also for the moment extremely frustrating.

1. I can seemingly attach locations to contexts but not to individual actions.
2. I get myself into the locator at times and there is NO WAY to get back out.

I'm sure this will be improved and will change the world!

gtdToday 2008-07-14 01:59 PM

Desktop

I would prefer for the location services to work on the desktop app too.

My preference is this:

-Whatever I can do on the Mac I want to do there--it's just faster/easier...then sync.

-When I'm out and about if I need to add/tweak some things using phone--then great!

Desktop centric, in other words in protocol.

jecarroll 2008-07-14 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=whosyourtator;40718]I tried what you mention above. All actions are assigned a project and all actions have a context. Each context has been set to current. I still get "No Locations Assigned" in the Nearby view.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Any suggestions?