The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Items moved to Inbox have disappeared! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=24087)

jodrell 2012-05-02 12:20 AM

Items moved to Inbox have disappeared!

I'm starting to look again at how I use Omnifocus because I don't think I've been getting the best out of it. I realised that I had a couple of Projects that were basically dumping grounds for actions that I hadn't sorted yet and decided that I'd be better off throwing them all into my empty Inbox and then sorting them from there.

I dragged 15 or so actions from 2 projects into the Inbox and the marked the projects as completed in order to remove them.

When I click on my Inbox it's empty :-/

Where's everything gone and how do I get it back??

jodrell 2012-05-02 12:55 AM

I've just created a new project and done the same thing, then made one of the projects active, created a new action in it and moved it. Both of these worked and I can see the actions in my inbox...weird. Where have the rest gone?

jodrell 2012-05-02 02:45 AM

Right...I've recovered the DB from my iPad which hadn't synced because I hadn't switched the wifi on yet this morning and I've done some tests.

For the existing projects I can move the actions out of the project and into the Inbox and it all looks OK, but when I make the original project (which is now empty of active actions) as Completed or Dropped all the actions disappear from the Inbox...

Other than having 2 empty projects hanging around until all these actions are complete (and once I start moving them into their own/other projects managing that will become impossible) how do I manage this??

whpalmer4 2012-05-02 03:51 AM

In the OmniFocus preferences, Data tab, what are the settings you have? My guess is that the missing items were refiled in a Miscellaneous single action list because they had a context assigned and that's all your settings required before a clean-up swept them out of the Inbox. That clean-up may have happened because you switched views coincidental to completing projects in your experiments.

Whenever items seem to disappear, use the All Items perspective to look for them.

jodrell 2012-05-02 04:18 AM

Full marks that man :-)

I was switching views and it was cleaning things up. BEcause I'd previously put a contact onto the actions they were being swept into a Miscellaneous folder...confused me even more when I moved that folder and things were being chucked back into it!

I've changed the pref to only auto clean-up Inbox items that have a Project assigned to them.

Thanks for the help

whpalmer4 2012-05-02 04:46 AM

I prefer the require both option myself, and don't understand why it isn't the default setting. Seems to me that no one would get confused that way (everything stays just where you leave it), and switching to one of the other settings would only happen once a certain comfort level had been reached.

In any case, I'm glad the mystery has been unraveled!