The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Reports to make me more efficient (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1993)

samaparicio 2006-10-29 10:00 PM

Reports to make me more efficient

I would love if OmniFocus had some reporting that would help me answer:

* How did I spend my time last week / last month?
* How much work was accomplished / how much work was added?
* Status of completion of my projects

I realize that this would force some things, such as having a notion of time keeping (maybe a little box asks me once an hour what I'm working on), and a notion of time estimation.

Ultimately, I would hope that my GTD system would help me get better at execution, which will mean more focus, but also reaching milestones faster.

BwanaZulia 2006-11-01 01:27 AM

Reports are clearly important, I might call them "stats".

The problem with tracking how much time you did something would be you would either have to tell OmniFocus (OF), like this task took 2 hours, or OmniFocus would have to watch you (a little weird and hard).

That being said, there are all sorts of stats that a GTD like app that is tracking your stats could (and hopefully will) track.

- How many new projects last month
- How many projects/tasks completed
- How long did it take me to complete tasks or projects last month vrs this month
- How many open tasks projects?

Stuff like that. Of course, OmniFocus will have to track a lot of start and stop times and be able to query it, but hopefully the guys at OmniWeb are thinking this way already.

BZ

essiecab 2006-11-03 11:49 AM

It would be great if there were an actual time-tracking feature built into OmniFocus. Right now I use OmniOutliner to list my things to do and projects, and then a separate program to track the time each task takes.

Having customizable reports that could group tasks or projects would be great, too. For instance, I keep track of several art projects that I do, as well as exercise I do and various household chores. It would be great if I could get a report for *everything*, but have it broken down in groups like "art" "exercise" and "chores." So it would show 70% of my day was art, but within that 70%, 20% was painting, 50% was drawing, etc., but at the same time still showing it within the context of the whole day (70% art, 10% exercise, 20% chores)

I hope that made sense!

Keith IRI 2006-11-30 05:59 AM

Name and shame me

[QUOTE=essiecab]It would be great if there were an actual time-tracking feature built into OmniFocus. Right now I use OmniOutliner to list my things to do and projects, and then a separate program to track the time each task takes. [/QUOTE]

I have been looking for a programme that does time tracking - by the programme I am using, the document that I am editing, the website I am browsing or by any other criteria. If OmniFu tracks how much time I am spending at my computer actually PRODUCTIVELY working, not just the actual time that I am able to convince my boss that I am working, and could shame me with a reminder of quite how much time I spend browsing OmniForums and the BBC then I might actually see how the name OmniFocus could be deserved...

Still prefer OmniFu though. :rolleyes:

mseibert 2008-09-21 01:37 AM

I am completely in favor of statistics for existing data. I do not need another time tracking feature though.

It would be enough for me, to have a better overview of how many hours I planned in which project, which context, today, yesterday, ...

mseibert 2008-09-21 01:38 AM

A graphical overview would be good.

mseibert 2008-12-27 03:50 AM

Any comments from the support ninjas on this?