The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can label text be curved along a line or path? [A: not yet, but a feat. req. is open] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4054)

mikesale@yahoo.com 2007-07-03 01:39 PM

Can label text be curved along a line or path? [A: not yet, but a feat. req. is open]

I'm trying to create a diagram of a cycle that is circular and would like to have text that runs along the curve of the circle. Is this possible with OmniGraffle Pro? If not, are there any work arounds or decent ways to accomplish this with other tools (other then Illustrator).

Thanks,

Mike

mikesale@yahoo.com 2007-07-12 11:55 AM

Can anyone help me here?

Lizard 2007-07-12 12:23 PM

Can't do it in Graffle. Don't know about other apps.

eechan 2007-07-12 05:32 PM

I've done that with Stone Design's, Create app

[url]http://www.stone.com/Create/Text_Handling.html[/url]

philonous 2007-07-19 08:39 PM

Corel Draw still rocks, even though it hasn't been supported in ages.

Globetrotter 2007-08-16 08:05 AM

Suggestion for flowing/curved text

Building on Mike's question, I'd like to make a suggestion for development...

[QUOTE=mikesale@yahoo.com;16648]I'm trying to create a diagram of a cycle that is circular and would like to have text that runs along the curve of the circle. Is this possible with OmniGraffle Pro? If not, are there any work arounds or decent ways to accomplish this with other tools (other then Illustrator).

Thanks,

Mike[/QUOTE]

Having text that flows or follows a curve or is anything but flat is a must for nearly any graphic designer or even for neophytes like me, just looking to make a snazzy business presentation. I mean, even Microsoft (!) can do it easy-peasy with WordArt. Why can't we do it in such a cracking programme like OmniGraffle?

I'd LOVE to have this feature appear very very very soon, if possible, please? pretty please?

Many thanks,

Michael

Globetrotter 2007-08-16 08:07 AM

Curved and Flowing Text

Building on Mike's question, I'd like to make a suggestion for development...

[QUOTE=mikesale@yahoo.com;16648]I'm trying to create a diagram of a cycle that is circular and would like to have text that runs along the curve of the circle. Is this possible with OmniGraffle Pro? If not, are there any work arounds or decent ways to accomplish this with other tools (other then Illustrator).

Thanks,

Mike[/QUOTE]

Having text that flows or follows a curve or is anything but flat is a must for nearly any graphic designer or even for neophytes like me, just looking to make a snazzy business presentation. I mean, even Microsoft (!) can do it easy-peasy with WordArt. Why can't we do it in such a cracking programme like OmniGraffle?

I'd LOVE to have this feature appear very very very soon, if possible, please? pretty please?

Many thanks,

Michael

Globetrotter 2007-08-16 09:01 AM

Workaround...

Hi Mike,
I've found a work-around, which is a bit labour-intensive, but works OK. (As computer artists, we're used to hard work, right?)
1. Create a line with the shape you want (you'll probably need to add points to make it look half-way good...).
2. Select the text tool and click it on the line (the line will have highlighted) to create a label
3. Now type the first letter of your text.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you've got all your text (OK, the letters of your text) arrayed along your line.
(I told you this would be labour-intensive...)
5. Highlight all the letters, and batch change them to be "parallel" to the line (under the geometry inspector)
6. Now drag each letter to where it belongs. (You may have to change the orientation of some of the letters by 180° (under the text inspector) to get them to stand up-right)

Hope this works for you! (Hope you've got the patience of a saint!)

Michael

mmyoung 2007-10-16 09:48 PM

text on a path

I'm new to OG, trying to figure out if there is a way to run text along a curved path. For instance, I would like to make a curved arrow 50 points thick (for a Sankey diagram) and place text inside it, which follows the curve.

So far I haven't found the way to do this. Can I? Thanks —Michael

CbrGal 2008-06-19 08:12 PM

Can I add my support for that idea. It would really just be the bees knees if you could build this in to the program. I HATE having to go back to WORDART to do diagrams that need curved text.