The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Undo/Command-Z should reopen last closed window or tab (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=478)

David Latapie 2006-08-23 03:29 AM

[QUOTE=Stormchild]Agreed. The combined stop/reload button in Safari can be a real pain sometimes.[/QUOTE]I agree but would still like such a combined button. Especially considering my real estate space on the toolbar is shrinking: I have 20 icons, plus the address bar. I may remove some, but not a lot.

zottel 2006-08-24 02:33 PM

Again, as most people (including myself for a long time) don't know that feature: You can have a seperate address bar (location bar), thus getting much more space for icons in the toolbar (and more space in the autocompletion dropdown): Just hit Alt-Cmd-L.

Forrest 2006-08-24 07:45 PM

And there's a lot of posts around here that talk about the advantages and disadvantages of combining those buttons. To sum them up: while at first it may seem like a good idea, it presents way more problems than it claims to fix.

David Latapie 2006-08-25 12:47 AM

Independant location bar

[QUOTE=zottel]Again, as most people (including myself for a long time) don't know that feature: You can have a seperate address bar (location bar), thus getting much more space for icons in the toolbar (and more space in the autocompletion dropdown): Just hit Alt-Cmd-L.[/QUOTE]I do know it—when I request address for a pop-up-no-bar window, this is this location bar that I get. It is really nice, by the way. But that would also means a second, which I don't want :-)

Thanks for reminding everyone the tip, anyway

jashugan 2006-10-25 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=David Latapie]I agree but would still like such a combined button. Especially considering my real estate space on the toolbar is shrinking: I have 20 icons, plus the address bar. I may remove some, but not a lot.[/QUOTE]
It seems this thread was hijacked. :p

[QUOTE=Bob Williams]How about a command (or section) in the History menu something like "Recently Closed Tabs", which has as a submenu a list of the last x tabs that were closed? I don't think there's a good way to integrate windows into this without introducing some confusion as to whether a tab should be located under its window or on its own, but even without windows, the user can still get what they needed - which I would guess is usually just one or two tabs in any case.[/QUOTE]
Another vote for this.

I really like Opera's way of handling undo close tab. If you close a tab CMD-Z will get it back (history and position).

If the tab that comes up after closing a tab has a text field focused, then it will undo the last text typed there. You would have to unfocus the text field to get the tab back.

I don't think it would be unpredictable; it makes sense to me.

David Latapie 2006-10-26 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=jashugan]I really like Opera's way of handling undo close tab. If you close a tab CMD-Z will get it back (history and position).

If the tab that comes up after closing a tab has a text field focused, then it will undo the last text typed there. You would have to unfocus the text field to get the tab back.

I don't think it would be unpredictable; it makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]I like Opera's way too. Firefox's way allows for unclosing tabs in a closed windows (e.g. last tab of a window), which Opera doesn't allow, closed tabs being window dependant.

So, a mix of both: get the button from Opera and the whole-software (vs. window-only) behaviour from Firefox.

Grape 2007-02-05 11:57 AM

Yes, I agree that command-option-Z would be best so as to avoid confusion with text field/address bar/search bar editing. Besides, it's not a shortcut you'll be using as often as, say, command-T, command-B, or command-D, so it can be relegated to the alternate funtion for Z.

Wallin 2007-06-30 02:21 PM

I'd just like to bring some attention back to this feature. I'm considering switching from Opera to Omniweb, and this is one of the main features I feel is lacking.

eugene 2007-08-22 05:08 PM

I would love to see OW be able to undo an array of "destructive" actions. Using the history would not work well with my browsing habits. I tend to maintain multiple windows each with multiple tabs. I also read and delete some tabs faster than others, while opening new tabs as well. I do not guarantee that I delete tabs in the order that I open them. Since history is chronologically ordered by time of opening tabs and not time of closing tabs, finding tabs open long ago but just recently & accidentally closed are lost in the LONG past history list.

In for undo!

David Latapie 2007-09-20 10:50 PM

Speaking of history: I like the Safari possibility to undo History deletion. It is planned to implement it in OmniWeb?