The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   project view shows ‘2 remaining’ but can’t see them anywhere (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18422)

letega 2010-10-08 07:55 AM

project view shows ‘2 remaining’ but can’t see them anywhere

Here is my issue:

I have 2 folders that on the iphone project view each show ‘2 remaining’. (I use folders as Areas)

Tapping on either of the folders then shows ‘none remaining’ in the single action lists enclosed. If I set the settings to ‘In Projects, show: All’, then all I see is completed items.

Same goes for the desktop. Basically I can not find these uncompleted items anywhere.

I have the feelings I'm missing a setting somewhere. Any ideas of where to start?

letega 2010-10-10 09:37 AM

Follow up: noticed something...

I now realized something. Maybe this is an intended behavior. Example: the folder has only a single-action list in it, with one action only in that single-action list.

But the projects view (iphone) will say '2 remaining', as though it counts the single-action list itself.

Anyone else notice this?

whpalmer4 2010-10-10 09:43 AM

Easy enough to test out this hypothesis, no? Add another single action list, see if the count goes up. Add an action to that single action list, does the count go up again?

letega 2010-10-10 09:48 AM

Thanks, you're right.

So the count DOES go up with just the addition of the single action list. Even before it has anything in it. I'd never noticed that before. Doesn't seem right because an empty single-action list has nothing actionable in it.

I think I'll ask the ninjas.

whpalmer4 2010-10-10 10:09 AM

I would agree that the count should go up for projects, but not single action lists, given that the former is actionable and the latter is not.

letega 2010-10-11 10:25 AM

Update: contacted ninja's and got a response

The support ninja said that this IS the expected behavior. Both projects and single-action lists count themselves as actionable, thus counting towards the tally.

So I put in a +1 to have an option to opt out of this behavior.

Also, the response was very quick. Love their support.

whpalmer4 2010-10-11 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=letega;87239]The support ninja said that this IS the expected behavior. Both projects and single-action lists count themselves as actionable, thus counting towards the tally.[/QUOTE]
They may have said that, but they are wrong :)

I quote from the OmniFocus 1.8 release notes:
[indent]
Groups, Projects, and Inbox items can now show up in Context lists, Due lists, and Flagged lists. When actions are sorted by project, parent items follow their children (which is the natural order for completing them). [b]Single Action Lists are not actionable[/b], and do not appear in Context lists. (emphasis added)
[/indent]
A Single Action List should not be counted in the tally, only its actions.

r48 2010-11-08 03:26 AM

I just found this thread, and I wonder if this behavior is causing a problem I'm having.

I use SALs to categorize action items. On my iPhone, the listing for one of my SALs shows that it contains two overdue items, but they are nowhere to be found. On my Mac, that same SAL shows no overdue items.

marisa8184 2011-01-28 02:00 PM

I have the same problme as r48. My iPhone shows 2 overdue tasks, but these are nowhere to be found on the mac or iPad versions. I have tried resetting the database on the iPhone, and showing all tasks on the mac, even completed. I can't find these overdue tasks anywhwere