The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How to sync custom Perspectives to iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16911)

dogpaw 2010-07-28 07:23 AM

How to sync custom Perspectives to iPhone

I have a custom perspective created on my desktop version. When I sync my iPhone, I don't see that perspective listed. How do I sync these?

On the iPhone, I only see 3 perspectives listed: Contexts, Due, Flagged.

thanks

whpalmer4 2010-07-28 07:34 AM

Is your perspective a context view, or a project view? At the moment, only context views are supported by the iPhone app.

dogpaw 2010-07-28 07:37 AM

Hmmm. I don't know the difference. It must be a project view since it's not visible on my phone. How do I create it as a context view?

dogpaw 2010-07-28 07:47 AM

I still don't understand what the differences are between the two types but I've managed to figure out how to toggle the perspective to "context" and now it syncs.

curt.clifton 2010-07-28 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=dogpaw;81043]I still don't understand what the differences are between the two types …[/QUOTE]

Project view shows a hierarchical outline of each project. The structure of the outline within each project (i.e., the order of the items and the parent-child nesting) are all manually configured. This is useful for manually adjusting the order that you plan to complete tasks. I personally think of Project mode as "Planning mode".

Context views show individual actions. Depending on the view bar settings these actions might be just the first available action in a project (called its [I]next action[/I]), every available action, or even all remaining or completed actions. Context view can automatically sort and group in a variety of ways. This allows context mode to mix actions from different projects together. Context mode only shows at most two levels, a grouping level and the individual actions. I think of Context mode as "Doing mode".

Hope that helps.

dogpaw 2010-07-29 09:29 AM

Thank you.

djb21au 2011-08-28 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;81035]Is your perspective a context view, or a project view? At the moment, only context views are supported by the iPhone app.[/QUOTE]
Any update on this situation? It would be really handy to be able to sync project-based perspectives with my iPhone.

whpalmer4 2011-08-28 06:58 PM

I haven't seen any sign that project mode perspectives are imminent.

DannyG 2012-01-04 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=djb21au;101107]Any update on this situation? It would be really handy to be able to sync project-based perspectives with my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

I have to second this. Most of my perspectives are Project based and it's a real detriment to not be able to see these on my iPhone.

whpalmer4 2012-01-04 11:51 AM

Send in feedback with the Contact Omni thing on the Settings page. More requests -> more priority...