The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   v5.3 Performance Degradation under Lion (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21773)

jasonw22 2011-08-01 12:39 PM

v5.3 Performance Degradation under Lion

Since upgrading to Lion and 5.3 I've noticed much more frequent rainbow spinners. In fact, most operations seem to result in the spinner at least briefly. Is this a known issue?

Brian 2011-08-01 01:46 PM

Sorry for the trouble! This doesn't ring a bell as something we've heard reported, but we'd love to investigate and see what's going on. Can you email our [EMAIL="omnigraffle@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL]?

russu 2011-08-03 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=jasonw22;100158]Since upgrading to Lion and 5.3 I've noticed much more frequent rainbow spinners. In fact, most operations seem to result in the spinner at least briefly. Is this a known issue?[/QUOTE]

I've been having this same issue.

Move something, pause, etc. A lot of lag.

At first I thought maybe this was a Lion issue, but then I realized that I have a brand new 27" iMac with 16gb of RAM.

This is grinding my productivity to a halt and potentially making Omnigraffle unusable for me in the long term.

I'm assuming we are not the only ones with this issue. Omni Group?

Brian 2011-08-03 10:19 AM

I've seen a few reports of something like this go by - one from a customer whose main document had something like 200 canvases. (In that case, the customer speculated that the more frequent saves that Versions does was a factor.)

The problem doesn't seem to be widespread, though. Folks who are experiencing this: please contact support - we'd love to investigate!

russu 2011-08-03 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=Brian;100253]I've seen a few reports of something like this go by - one from a customer whose main document had something like 200 canvases. (In that case, the customer speculated that the more frequent saves that Versions does was a factor.)

The problem doesn't seem to be widespread, though. Folks who are experiencing this: please contact support - we'd love to investigate![/QUOTE]

I've got 46 canvases, which I do not think is excessive, and I've isolated the issue to be, for the most part, when returning focus to the application. That is, if I use another application and return, even if I pause, the application needs additional time to wake up / catch-up.

miketyke10 2011-08-05 09:22 AM

Performance Issues / Periodic Pinwheel

[QUOTE=jasonw22;100158]Since upgrading to Lion and 5.3 I've noticed much more frequent rainbow spinners. In fact, most operations seem to result in the spinner at least briefly. Is this a known issue?[/QUOTE]

I'm also having significant problems with Omnigraffle on the new air (w/ Lion). When I'm manipulating objects on the page and navigating the canvas, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable lag - but the program periodically freezes for up to 5-8 seconds with the pinwheel, and then goes back to regular performance.

Does anyone know if there's a save in the background setting that's causing this? It's extremely frustrating and I don't think I'll be able to continue using Omnigraffle if I can't figure out how to solve this issue.

DerekM 2011-08-05 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=russu;100255]I've got 46 canvases, which I do not think is excessive, and I've isolated the issue to be, for the most part, when returning focus to the application. That is, if I use another application and return, even if I pause, the application needs additional time to wake up / catch-up.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like it might be the autosaving causing this. If you're willing to send us a copy of your file to test with that would be very helpful. [email]omnigraffle@omnigroup.com[/email] Thanks!

russu 2011-08-05 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=DerekM;100298]That sounds like it might be the autosaving causing this. If you're willing to send us a copy of your file to test with that would be very helpful. [email]omnigraffle@omnigroup.com[/email] Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'd love to send you my file, but that's not a real option for me. Sorry.

DerekM 2011-08-05 01:33 PM

What about using the gibberizer option of the send feedback ability? It replaces all the text, but not images if that's a concern as well. You can email it to yourself to see what the result is.

whpalmer4 2011-08-05 01:36 PM

Derek, when did such a feature get implemented for OmniGraffle? I have never seen it anywhere but OmniPlan...

DerekM 2011-08-05 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;100305]Derek, when did such a feature get implemented for OmniGraffle? I have never seen it anywhere but OmniPlan...[/QUOTE]

A long time ago, OG 4 had it, it just didn't have the option to send it ungibberized.

pjp 2011-08-05 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One possible culprit here is that the first canvas of your document is somewhat complex, and Quick Look is taking a while to generate a preview upon save.

To turn this off, uncheck the "Include Quick Look Preview" checkbox in the Document Inspector. (See attached screenshot.)

Does that help?

bhockley 2011-08-08 11:31 PM

Opening in Lion what was once created in the old OS.

I created a document in 5.3 OmniGraffle and after installing Lion, I re-opened the same document to find that all Fields dropdowns and shape outlines or strokes had disappeared. Pretty frustrating as the wireframes are from an Admin platform with loads of fields. Icon/pictures where also missing. not impressed. When is the next update?

kyle212 2011-08-09 07:57 AM

Turning off Quick Look resolved this problem for me completely.

dhunter 2011-09-14 06:07 AM

I'm getting a lot of lag while typing text and moving objects around. No spinning balls, but the lag is driving me crazy. Type a few words, wait a few seconds for it to catch up. I don't remember it doing this prior to lion. I really hope a solution will be in the works so I can continue using OmniGraffle.

kkelly 2011-09-17 05:50 AM

Turning off quick look worked for me

I experienced same symptoms -- swirling rainbow, 2 second delay, on every return to the application. Unchecking quicklook made the problem go away. Painful since no one buys for quicklook preview, but everyone buys to draw a diagram and everyone (on Lion at least) is effected.

On another note...the forum signup process is pretty harsh. Made me think/work pretty hard just to add this 'me too' note.

voxmia 2011-09-22 06:10 PM

5.3.3 release has made problem worse

I love Omnigraffle and rely on it quite a bit.

HOWEVER, the latest release 5.3.3 has made the already frustrating experience of running Omnigraffle on Lion even worse.

Now, in addition to spinning rainbow ball, I've experienced the following:

* Unable to save doc
* When zooming doc to fit in screen, it only fills about a third of my screen/aligned bottom
* Auto-resizing doc is on a fritz / uncontrollable (I can't control the doc size)
* Unable to edit steps in grid (stuck at 8 by default)
* When I change paper orientation from vertical to horizontal using Page set up, it does not change the orientation of my canvas

Bottom line, 5.3.3 release has made my installation of Omnigraffle useless.

Would really appreciate a fix soon.

Thank you very much.

Brian 2011-09-23 02:34 PM

5.3.4 is now available via OmniGraffle's software updater. Please give it a try and let us know about any issues. Thanks!

(Note that Mac App Store customers will go straight from 5.3.2 to 5.3.4, once the new submission works through the App Store approval process.)

dpetrie 2011-09-28 03:19 AM

I am running 5.3.4 and I do not have an "Include Quick Look Preview" option under Document Inspector. My files do not include a Quick Look preview which I find frustrating since I have so many and I find Quick Look very useful.

dpetrie 2011-09-28 03:21 AM

Just looking at the release notes and I see in 5.3.3 that "Quick Look previews have been temporarily disabled on Lion". That explains my lack of "Include Quick Look Preview" option. :)

bogdan 2011-10-04 03:22 PM

Same slowness issue here, on Lion w/ 5.3.4

[QUOTE=kkelly;101918]I experienced same symptoms -- swirling rainbow, 2 second delay, on every return to the application. Unchecking quicklook made the problem go away. Painful since no one buys for quicklook preview, but everyone buys to draw a diagram and everyone (on Lion at least) is effected.

On another note...the forum signup process is pretty harsh. Made me think/work pretty hard just to add this 'me too' note.[/QUOTE]

I have the same issue here, on a MBP i7 8GB SSD w/ Lion, using 5.3.4.

My document has only one canvas, and around 100 simple shapes (rectangles). I do have a lot of fills w/ opacity around 50%, and some nested shape groupings.

Any ideas?

Chip 2011-10-16 12:53 PM

I just upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3 on a Macbook Air running Lion. I was working on a document with one canvas, 1000mm X 800mm and less than 25 objects consisting of mostly rectangles, an arrow connector and text.

Everything worked great on 5.2 and every operation was responsive.

After the upgrade to 5.3.4 I get the spinning beach ball frequently and unless this is fixed soon will have to reinstall the 5.2 version so it is usable again. I did send an email to support about the problem.