The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   One OF database for all work or 3 for Test, Privat and Work (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6441)

jochen 2007-12-21 11:26 PM

One OF database for all work or 3 for Test, Privat and Work

Hello

Can I create 3 different OF database for:

1 Test
2 Privat
3 Work

I'm think I cannot do this.

I'm right or wrong ?

Jochen

Lizard 2007-12-22 10:09 AM

Technically this is possible. However, that ability was put in more for our testing purposes than because we expect users to have multiple databases.

OmniFocus will always open your primary database on launch (saved in your Library folder by default). If you copy this .ofocus file somewhere else, and double-click that copy or drag it onto OmniFocus' app icon, OmniFocus will open that copy, and then you could replace that data with different data, without your primary database being impacted.

I don't recall the details, but I think there may be weird interactions with perspectives and some other features when you're using multiple databases.

Why do you want multiple databases? Would making a private folder and a work folder to organize your projects accomplish the same goal?

jochen 2007-12-23 12:08 AM

Thanks for answer and good feedback.

I'm not a developer. When I test a new application I prefer to create a test file and test this test file. If I shure the test file work accurate I will use the normal way.
I do this for example with filemaker or devonthink. By the way devonthink pro there is a facility to work with more than one database.

If I create 3 folders Test, Private, Work in the same database and make a mistake it can be that all database is broken.

Jochen (.de)

Lizard 2007-12-28 07:42 PM

For testing purposes, I would suggest creating a copy of your .ofocus file somewhere else, as I described above, and always open the file directly instead of launching the app, until you're ready to put real data in.

jochen 2007-12-28 10:41 PM

Clear ;-)

At the moments I use not original datas for testing.

Jochen (.de)

Tim Wood 2007-12-31 04:56 PM

As of recent builds, the General preferences pane has an option to select a different database (without moving or otherwise touching your existing one). So, you could duplicate OmniFocus.ofocus to Test.ofocus and toggle between them as you like.

jochen 2008-01-01 02:43 AM

[QUOTE=Tim Wood;29967]As of recent builds, ...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for feedback

Jochen

pjb 2008-07-09 05:27 PM

This is no longer the case, right? ie, no easy way to change databases within the app. Syncing will always use the database in the standard default location, right?

steve 2008-07-09 06:30 PM

I haven't used it, but roo switch might be an application. If copy paste worked on an iPhone, I'd give you a link. Merlin just wrote about it on 43folders.com

Brian 2008-07-09 10:08 PM

pjb, the General pane of Preferences still has all the controls that this thread refers to; you can still switch between different databases on your desktop if you like.

I would not recommend that you do this while syncing is turned on, though - things will very quickly get very confusing for you and OmniFocus both.

Pick one database you want to sync, and before you load up one of the other databases, set your sync preferences to "Sync with: nothing".