The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Please combine OmniPlan & OmniFocus into a comprehensive time management app (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13966)

nailen 2009-09-24 06:53 AM

Please combine OmniPlan & OmniFocus into a comprehensive time management app

Omni Group: Please combine or at least integrate OmniPlan & OmniFocus into a comprehensive time management app.

OmniTime, OmniWork, OmniResults, whatever you might call it, could be a category killer in both the project management and GTD spaces because it would integrate group and individual, long-term project and short-term task, as well as top-down and bottom-up approaches into a single time management app.

Is there any chance of this happening?

Thanks,
Jeff

Ken Case 2009-09-24 07:14 AM

Integration between OmniFocus and OmniPlan is one of the big features we're working on for OmniFocus 2 and OmniPlan 2. It's not done yet (OmniPlan 2 is further along than OmniFocus 2 is), but here's the plan:

A project manager working in OmniPlan 2 will be able to assign tasks to individual team members, and those tasks will automatically show up in each member's OmniFocus 2 database. As people work on their tasks they should be able to update their completion status and estimates of time remaining, and OmniFocus 2 will automatically post progress updates back to OmniPlan 2, where the project manager can review and accept the updates and post an updated plan.

nailen 2009-09-24 07:40 AM

Woohoo!

[QUOTE=Ken Case;67338]Integration between OmniFocus and OmniPlan is one of the big features we're working on for OmniFocus 2 and OmniPlan 2. It's not done yet (OmniPlan 2 is further along than OmniFocus 2 is), but here's the plan:

A project manager working in OmniPlan 2 will be able to assign tasks to individual team members, and those tasks will automatically show up in each member's OmniFocus 2 database. As people work on their tasks they should be able to update their completion status and estimates of time remaining, and OmniFocus 2 will automatically post progress updates back to OmniPlan 2, where the project manager can review and accept the updates and post an updated plan.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!! Thank you. I love OmniFocus, and if you guys were not going to integrate or merge them I was going to purchase Merlin, which is a great project manager (but without GTD). But this kind of integration will make OmniPlan a no-brainer for OmniFocus users. You guys will own the time management space from top to bottom.

What's a realistic guestimate of when OmniPlan 2 and OmniFocus 2 might be available? I understand you can't say anything definite, but just a general general ballpark time frame so we can plan accordingly?

And thanks for the quick reply also.

Ken Case 2009-09-24 08:53 AM

We expect to release both OmniPlan 2 and OmniFocus 2 sometime in 2010.

nailen 2009-09-24 10:37 AM

Ok, thanks Ken! And keep up the great work, Omni's apps are awesome.

jjb 2009-10-04 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;67338]Integration between OmniFocus and OmniPlan is one of the big features we're working on for OmniFocus 2 and OmniPlan 2.[/QUOTE]

This is fantastic!

Sludgewick 2009-10-11 09:44 PM

Hello,
I've been trying out and learning different GTD software trials for the last month and OmniFocus & OmniPlan are great to use – they work wonderfully, they're pleasureable to look at and watch in use.

Now that I see there's plans for integration it's a major relief and I feel like I can call off the search. The lack of integration had me still searching, but I still hadn't found anything I felt quite as satisfied with as OmniFocus. I tried Things and I really liked it, but it just wasn't robust enough.

I'll be picking up a few Omni products in the near future. Thanks for the quality efforts!

Todd

gandalf44 2009-10-13 09:39 AM

Is there another post/page where you list the feature roadmap of Omnifocus? I would love to see this, with the a GIANT caveat that anything can change. Just like to get a feel for what's coming, especially after investion $100 (Omnifocus + Omnifocus for iPhone).

Giray 2009-11-14 01:21 AM

Just adding a vote to integration or communication between the two apps. For people who are serious about managing both actions and time, this is critical.

seanhoytphoto 2009-12-11 12:29 PM

omnifocus with 'lite' omniplan features

Maybe a great compromise would be a full fledged Omnifocus with slimmed-down Omniplan features. Perhaps Omnifocus + Gannt 'lite' without too much resource tracking... more about personal milestone visualization and task grouping. Yeah? Need more features? Use Omniplan with Omnifocus integration.