The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniOutliner 3 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   INControl Functionality with Applescript? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=2927)

emagnuso 2007-02-25 06:32 PM

INControl Functionality with Applescript?

Hello,

I have been looking at OmniOutliner and was trying to figure out if it had the ability to easily filter by a column, which it does not seem to natively do. INControl used to do this, which made it easy to filter items by date or by other category for quick reference. This was especially useful if creating an outline of to-do tasks.

I was looking for a way to achieve this through Applescript or perhaps even Automator. I haven't looked much into what is available as far as funciton calls for either of these, but I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction, or know of something pre-existing that would allow me to do this. Thanks.

DerekM 2007-02-26 02:43 PM

Filtering isn't possible in OO3, but it's a feature planned for OO4. I believe the only way you could simulate this with AppleScript is by copying all the items that meet your criteria to a new document.

gcrump 2007-06-20 01:34 AM

Derek,

Can you provide an example of a script that would do that. I'd like to be able to copy the contents of items where an assigned column was assigned to a certain person. But I want all the other columns copied.

Thanks in Advance,

George

DerekM 2007-06-20 04:05 PM

Are you wondering how to set the data in additional columns? Or are you looking for a script that takes a blank document and adds the columns in?

If you're copying to a document that already has the columns set up, all you need to do so set column cell is something like:
set value of cell "columName" of theRow to myData

to add a column in you can do:
make new column with properties {name:"new column"}

gcrump 2007-06-21 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=DerekM] Or are you looking for a script that takes a blank document and adds the columns in?
[/QUOTE]

Close :)

Actually, I'd like to find any row that has a column set to a particular persons name and then copy those rows to a new blank document.

Does that make sense?

DerekM 2007-06-22 04:18 PM

So here's a rough script:

tell application "OmniOutliner Professional"
set sourceDoc to front document
set destDoc to (make new document)

set columnList to columns of sourceDoc
set columnCount to count of columnList

repeat with i from 3 to columnCount -- starts at 3 to account for the note (#1) and topic (#2) column
tell destDoc
make new column with properties {name:name of item i of columnList as string}
end tell
end repeat

tell sourceDoc
repeat with myRow in every row
if value of cell "Topic" of myRow contains "find me" then
set value of cell "Topic" of (make new row at end of destDoc) to value of cell "Topic" of myRow
repeat with j from 3 to columnCount
set value of cell j of last row of destDoc to value of cell j of myRow
end repeat
end if
end repeat
end tell
end tell

This will always make a new document when run and it doesn't take into account column types

colinng 2007-07-31 10:48 AM

Thanks Derek

Thanks Derek,

The script was very useful. I had "number" type columns so I had to make a few changes. I also tried to preserve the indenting, but note that all the parents of the "findme" row should also match, or else indenting will fail.

[CODE]
tell application "OmniOutliner Professional"
set sourceDoc to front document
set destDoc to (make new document)

set columnList to columns of sourceDoc
set columnCount to count of columnList

repeat with i from 3 to columnCount -- starts at 3 to account for the note (#1) and topic (#2) column
tell destDoc
set newMe to (make new column with properties {name:name of item i of columnList as string})
if the type of item i of columnList as text is "number" then
set the properties of newMe to {type:number}
end if
end tell
end repeat

tell sourceDoc
repeat with myRow in every row
if value of cell "Topic" of myRow contains "findme" then
set value of cell "Topic" of (make new row at end of destDoc) to value of cell "Topic" of myRow

-- copy the indenting from the sourceDoc
set indentLevel to the level of myRow
if indentLevel is greater than 1 then
repeat with remainingIndents from 2 to indentLevel
indent the last row of destDoc
end repeat
end if

repeat with j from 3 to columnCount
set value of cell j of last row of destDoc to value of cell j of myRow
end repeat
end if
end repeat
end tell
end tell

--This will always make a new document when run and it doesn't take into account column formatting
[/CODE]