The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Future of OmniWeb? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11602)

robotank 2009-03-12 08:39 PM

The Future of OmniWeb?

When OmniWeb went freeware, it was implied that there wouldn't be much development happening on it in the near future. (In fact, lack of development and lagging farr behind Safari in its WebKit version are the reasons I eventually switched off OmniWeb as my default browser.) Now it looks like development is back in full swing. What I'm wondering is, will this continue?Now that the OW 5.9.2 SneakyPeaks have Safari 4's WebKit, I'm back to using OW as my default browser, and I would be delighted to continue doing so as long as a reasonable level of development is maintained. I saw that OmniWeb 6 is hinted at briefly in the latest Omni blog post--this strikes me as a good sign. So, OmniWeb developers, what can we expect going forward?

Thanks for your time.

Ayjay 2009-03-14 08:00 AM

Shhhhh! Leave them alone, they're developing the app! Don't distract them!

OmniGuy 2009-03-14 07:33 PM

Don't jinx it!

robotank 2009-03-15 09:01 PM

Well, forgive me for asking. I had no idea OmniWeb users were so superstitious :)

troyb 2009-03-16 04:35 PM

Nothing has really changed on our end other than OmniWeb now being free. OmniWeb is an application that all of us here love to use and we plan to continue development as resources allow. I can't make any promises but currently we plan to continue fixing small bugs and annoyances until we have the larger interface updates ready for public consumption (these will likely be part of the first OmniWeb 6 release).

When will 6 appear? I can't say anything yet but I will update you all as I get new concrete details.

robotank 2009-03-16 08:22 PM

Thanks for your reply. I know you're not promising anything, but the future does look bright now that we know OmniWeb 6 will eventually be a reality. Despite a long period of stagnation, OW is still, in many ways, the best OS X browser out there, and it's good to know that it's not dying.

JaxsMac 2009-03-20 11:17 AM

I to, was worried about the future of Omniweb since it became freeware. For most applications, going from paid to free, means a slow death of the app. It's great to hear that this is not the planned route for Omniweb.

I alternate between three browsers; Omniweb, Safari, and Camino. With the release of the latest sneakypeak version, Omniweb will once again become my default browser.

bmastenbrook 2009-03-20 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=troyb;56906]Nothing has really changed on our end other than OmniWeb now being free. OmniWeb is an application that all of us here love to use and we plan to continue development as resources allow. I can't make any promises but currently we plan to continue fixing small bugs and annoyances until we have the larger interface updates ready for public consumption (these will likely be part of the first OmniWeb 6 release).

When will 6 appear? I can't say anything yet but I will update you all as I get new concrete details.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the update!

Long, long ago there was a private beta for OmniWeb 5. If you plan on having any such process for OmniWeb 6 (especially to test interface ideas), I'd love to participate.

Handycam 2009-03-20 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=bmastenbrook;57159]If you plan on having any such process for OmniWeb 6 (especially to test interface ideas), I'd love to participate.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

GL40381808701 2010-01-14 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=Handycam;57166]Same here.[/QUOTE]

Ditto!