The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How do I re-arrange the hierarchy of my actions (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8657)

oloyd 2008-07-14 05:48 AM

How do I re-arrange the hierarchy of my actions

Every time I try to re-arrange my actions OmniFocus tries to nestle the action into a folder.
Any way around this?

O

curt.clifton 2008-07-14 06:38 AM

"Folder" has a specific meaning in OmniFocus—you can create folders in the left-hand sidebar in Planning mode. I'm guessing that the nesting you're seeing is what OF calls "Action Groups".

At any rate, the nesting of a dragged action is controlled by where you drop it. If you drop to the right of the checkbox above, then the dragged action is nested. If you drop to the left of the checkbox above, then the dragged action is a sibling.

There is a visual indication of this that you can experiment with. Click and drag on the "handle" bullet of an action. Drag the item below another action without dropping it. Then move the mouse, still dragging, back and forth. You'll see that the arrow indicating drop location extends as you drag right and contracts as you drag left.

Hope that helps.

oloyd 2008-07-14 11:24 AM

Wow, much thanks Curt for the quick-response.
It worked perfectly!
Although I swore I'd never buy another organizer, I'm really considering purchasing this one.

Do you know if the bugs in syncing with iPhone has been resolved?

O

curt.clifton 2008-07-14 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=oloyd;40729]
Do you know if the bugs in syncing with iPhone has been resolved?[/QUOTE]

I haven't made the iPhone leap yet, but I suspect that the final release of OF 1.1 will be the signal that the syncing bugs are fixed. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience.

Toadling 2008-07-14 12:37 PM

I haven't seen any syncing problems, but it's only been a day or two that I've been using OmniFocus on my iPhone (and about 2 weeks on the 1.1 alpha on my MacBook Pro).

If you venture into these waters, make sure your backups are working properly and that you do it regularly (seriously, I'm producing about a dozen backups everyday).

-Dennis

pvonk 2008-07-14 01:02 PM

The sync has also been working with iPod Touch, using the new iPhone OS 2.0 and OF 1.1.

oloyd 2008-07-14 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=Toadling;40741]I haven't seen any syncing problems, but it's only been a day or two that I've been using OmniFocus on my iPhone (and about 2 weeks on the 1.1 alpha on my MacBook Pro).

If you venture into these waters, make sure your backups are working properly and that you do it regularly (seriously, I'm producing about a dozen backups everyday).

-Dennis[/QUOTE]

Thanks Toadling. I just purchased mobile OmniFocus.
It's saying that I need to choose something called WebDAV???
I have no idea what that is, do you?

O

Toadling 2008-07-14 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=oloyd;40788]It's saying that I need to choose something called WebDAV??? I have no idea what that is, do you?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, WebDAV is the protocol OmniFocus uses to sync data with a remote server. You need to either have a MobileMe account, a third-party web hosting service that provide WebDAV access, or setup WebDAV on your own Mac (it's built-in to Mac OS X's web server).

The easiest option, by far, is to just get a MobileMe account. However, it's probably also the most expensive of the three options (but you do get some other really cool stuff with it). I've had an account for years, so that's what I use.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

oloyd 2008-07-14 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=Toadling;40791]Yeah, WebDAV is the protocol OmniFocus uses to sync data with a remote server. You need to either have a MobileMe account, a third-party web hosting service that provide WebDAV access, or setup WebDAV on your own Mac (it's built-in to Mac OS X's web server).

The easiest option, by far, is to just get a MobileMe account. However, it's probably also the most expensive of the three options (but you do get some other really cool stuff with it). I've had an account for years, so that's what I use.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis[/QUOTE]

OMG, I wouldn't have gotten OmniMobile if I knew I had to spend some more money. I ddo already have my own website, though. Can a WebDav be accessed there?

O

gtdToday 2008-07-14 09:13 PM

I got the desktop and mobile apps together last night and I'm already all ported and up to speed.

The sync works splendidly so far and the feature set exceeds my expectations.

FYI... I used .mac (now mobileme).