The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Omnifocus as a CRM? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8278)

Dewdman42 2008-08-03 08:25 PM

I would like to understand why you Daylite and ContactizerPro users feel you need to use OmniFocus in addition to those CRM tools. They have concepts projects and tasks already, so why complicate things by entering all the tasks in two places?

dconjar 2008-08-03 08:41 PM

It just works...

There are two reasons why I use Daylite for managing my schedule, leads, contacts, communications, and relationships, while using OF for project and task management:

1) Daylite isn't a great task manager. The viewing options make it very difficult to sort through large amounts of tasks. Marketcircle posted a blog explaining how to GTD with Daylite, but it's not a great way to do it.

2) Daylite doesn't have an iPhone app, yet. It should be coming later this year, but I need to be able to access my projects and tasks from anywhere, right now.

There are very few CRM programs (if any) that handle tasks well. If you've got a yacht and a car, there's no point in going 5 miles to work in a yacht. Daylite is a big ship that can tread a lot of water, but it simply doesn't get the job done on dry land.

It's a stupid metaphor, but you get the picture. I wish I could do everything in one program, but it's not that simple. I manage my contacts in Daylite, their password info in 1Password, their billing info in Joomla using nBill, and their projects using Omnifocus. Most of it integrates pretty well, so it's not too much data entry.

Daylite is good for recording large projects and tasks, though. I plan and execute tasks and projects in Omnifocus, but the important ones that are related to sales and service always get recorded in Daylite. That way, I always know what's going on, what I have done, and what I have to do.

MichaelShapiro 2008-08-04 05:13 AM

[QUOTE=dconjar;43631]1) Daylite isn't a great task manager. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. I find it ergonomically unusable for tasks. DayLite is powerful in handling contacts, and the developers seem to have improved the calendar, but I wouldn't use it for anything else in its present form.

watchit 2008-08-14 05:00 PM

Sounds impressive, dconjar, but I'm wondering how you avoid double handling of tasks - do you have a way of entering data in Daylite and/or OF such that it is easily exported/imported between programs?

figman 2008-08-17 09:22 AM

Add me to this list too. I have so many project coming in and neither DL or CP are true CRM apps. Contactizer is a PIM and Daylite is a mix of PIM and CRM. I think many of us are looking for an ACT replacement on the Mac.

Omnifocus is so good at GTD and helping pull all of the things related to the tasks of sales together.

watchit 2009-03-27 04:39 PM

No response from dconjar :(

Does anyone else have a way of entering data into Daylite and/or Contactizer and exporting & importing it between either of those app to OmniFocus?

chinarut 2009-03-28 09:53 PM

I experimented with gmail a bit and fell back to using OF as CRM for a bit.

I needed to collaborate and share opportunities with my partner so I looked at DayLite and falling back on salesforce.com.

It looks like I'll be using OF to manage my personal projects and I am aware of someone who uses Dreamforce for full-blown project management a la GTD across several organizations.

This is my 2 cents.

dconjar 2009-04-04 05:32 PM

Daylite 3.9

Daylite 3.9 and its mobile companion, Daylite Touch, is absolutely beautiful. I haven't used OF for awhile, but am in love with Daylite now. Tasks are much better for GTD, and it's the one tool that does EVERYTHING, and does it well.

allisondan 2009-04-17 04:46 PM

OmniFocus and Daylite

Similar to other posters, I use both Daylite and OmniFocus. Daylite is weak on task management, while Omni is strong on task management. For simple projects, either would work fine.

You can get tasks back and forth from OmniFocus to Daylite, easily, but there are some gotchas. I have Categories defined in Daylite to include calendars, and sync these calendars to iCal automatically. In OmniFocus, I select "Synchronize with iCal" to move tasks to iCal and thereby to Daylite. And vice-a-versa. The gotcha is that when a task is modified in Daylite and synced back to OmniFocus, the context changes to the first one available in the calendar to context match of the iCal preference panel in OmniFocus, losing the previous context setting. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just something I haven't figured out yet. As a result, I try to remember to modify tasks only in OmniFocus.

Once the task is in Daylite, I can link it to other items including contacts.

Daylite's main organizer is Categories, though there are other organizers, while OmniFocus's main organizer is Contexts. These are not equivalent organizers or tags, and don't and shouldn't synce, in my opinion.

Not a perfect world, but one that works pretty well for me.

eurobubba 2009-10-29 08:13 PM

Where do "Projects" live?

Sounds like tasks/to-dos/actions sync reasonably well between OmniFocus and Daylite (after all, they're basically extended iCal objects) but the holy grail (setting aside the prospect of an OmniContact for the moment) that would really unlock the power of both apps working in tandem would be the ability to sync projects.