The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Another application locks OmniFocus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9025)

Xenu 2008-07-26 10:06 PM

Another application locks OmniFocus

Sometimes after I boot up my MacBook Pro and open OmniFocus I get an error message to the effect that another application has locked OmniFocus. As a result, OmniFocus won't fully open and I can't close it either. The only way I can remedy this problem is to Force Quit OmniFocus and then restart my computer.

What's causing this? How can I make it stop? I'm using whatever Sneaky Peak was released today.

nggalai 2008-07-27 01:25 AM

Hi there,

this happened from time to time for me, too. On my system (still on Tiger), it’s iCal starting up at the same time as OF. I had to remove iCal from my startup items to rectify the issue. I now start it manually, after OF loaded, and have had no problems since then.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Xenu 2008-07-27 06:51 AM

Sascha,

No iCal in my startup. The only things in my startup are:

iTunesHelper
ExpanderDaemon
Airport Base Station Agent
Viscosity
Microsoft Database

oshamsy 2008-07-27 12:39 PM

Same problem...OmniFocus doc is locked

I also got in this situation today. I had to force my mac to reboot, and now the OmniFocus document is locked, and I can't find a way to unlock it. In OmniFocus 1.0, I believe this same dialog allowed the user to override the lock, but no such luck here.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew 2008-07-27 01:39 PM

oshamsy, I don't believe we've ever (yet) had UI for clearing that lock, although I can't say authoritatively. Anyway, I recommend manually deleting the lock file, as outlined in this previous post: [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=42309&postcount=4[/url]

oshamsy 2008-07-27 04:28 PM

Thanks Andrew. Deleting the lock file did the trick for me!

Lizard 2008-07-28 09:50 AM

If this lock error keeps coming back after you've deleted the lock file, there's probably something more going on. Either another copy of OmniFocus somewhere is accessing your file, or something very strange is going on. Please let us know about it if you see this come back, so we can track it down.

uconntam 2008-07-28 02:16 PM

Lock message at almost every MBP boot

[QUOTE=Lizard;42841]If this lock error keeps coming back after you've deleted the lock file, there's probably something more going on. Either another copy of OmniFocus somewhere is accessing your file, or something very strange is going on. Please let us know about it if you see this come back, so we can track it down.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lizard,

I get the same lock error almost every time my MBP boots. It is set as a start up item, along with iCal and Mail. (This was happening even before I added iCal and Mail to my startup items - OF was the only one at that point.)

I do the manual delete of the lock file every time, which works wonderfully, BUT.

My question is this -- I've been downloading the sneak peeks when they come up, hoping that they would solve this bug. Now I'm wondering if doing that is making the situation worse. I see that OF is installing separate versions for every update. Am I doing something wrong?

Thx,
Tam

Lizard 2008-07-28 10:22 PM

OmniFocus should delete the lock every time it quits, whether that's because you told it to quit, or because it's grabbing a Sneaky Peek update.

If you quit OmniFocus, delete the lock and then reboot your MacBook Pro, you get the error?

What if you turn off "Open at Login" for OmniFocus and then delete the lock file and reboot? Do you get the error immediately on login? Or when you launch OmniFocus?

Xenu 2008-07-29 06:10 PM

Do you think this locking problem its caused by opening the OmniFocus widget in the Dashboard BEFORE opening the OmniFocus application, just after startup?