The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How do I *quickly* re-file a task to another project? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13618)

eatmytag 2009-08-31 04:23 AM

How do I *quickly* re-file a task to another project?

Hi! I just switched back to OmniFocus from quite some time in The Hit List.

What I would like to know is what is the quickest way to move a task from one project to another. E.g. I have a task I put into a project, but when reviewing, I find that I want to move it to my someday/maybe-project. Can I do this using the keyboard? Or do I have to drag and drop? My project list is longer than one screen, so moving it with my mouse is something I would like to avoid.

One of the functions I used the most in THL was the "file" quick-key. What this does is that I type "f" when a task is selected, then a text field pops up where I can start to type the name of a list (project). Pressing enter moves the task to that list.

Lucas 2009-08-31 07:25 AM

If you happen to be in context mode and you have the project column active, you can just type in the project column to refile the action to a different project.

The same thing doesn't work in project mode, though. It may be somewhat easier to open up the inspector, which can change the project. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a "move to quick entry" script that would make it a little bit easier to use quick matching on the project names.

eatmytag 2009-08-31 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=Lucas;65717]If you happen to be in context mode and you have the project column active, you can just type in the project column to refile the action to a different project.

The same thing doesn't work in project mode, though. It may be somewhat easier to open up the inspector, which can change the project. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a "move to quick entry" script that would make it a little bit easier to use quick matching on the project names.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I guess I will be using context mode for my review process. I was hoping for a less obtrusive way than using the inspector...

whpalmer4 2009-08-31 11:35 AM

How often do you have to migrate tasks from projects to your someday/maybe list?

eatmytag 2009-08-31 12:41 PM

Most of my projects run for about a month. There are loose ends that I do not have time for at the moment, but that would be nice to follow up on - these are the tasks that I move to my Someday/Maybe lists (I would love to have a "someday/maybe" *status* for tasks.

Also, I write down stuff I would like to try: software, movies, etc. Even though I have the intention to do these things, I find myself without enough time. These things also get moved to other lists.

curt.clifton 2009-08-31 01:24 PM

Are you using the flag column for anything? If not, you could flag the items while doing a review in project mode, then display all flagged actions in context mode and do a batch change of project using the Inspector. A similar hack using estimated time and grouping might also work.

fudster 2009-08-31 03:17 PM

Here's how I do this, when I'm in project mode:

I hold down the Command key, and click the Inbox in the sidebar. This makes the Inbox grouping appear at the top of the content window.

Then I drag the task into the Inbox. Because the Inbox is now showing at the top, I can see it up there. In the inbox grouping at the top, both the Project and Context dropdowns are there, so I can select a new project there.

I like this better than using the inspector because the typeahead is better.

kasi 2009-09-01 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=fudster;65762]
I like this better than using the inspector because the typeahead is better.[/QUOTE]

I wished for this feature some time ago. Please make the project and context field in the inspector a typeahead field instead of a the popup list box. With already a small number of projects, this list becomes overpopulated and is completely useless.

Thanks.