The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Trouble clipping from Firefox [Use bookmarklet] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16295)

sooinlee1 2010-05-26 12:21 PM

Trouble clipping from Firefox [Use bookmarklet]

I select a URL from the Firefox URL window and hit shift+command+c. The Omnifocus add entry pops up with the URL and the title but with two duplicate entries. Bug?

SL

Brian 2010-05-27 04:14 PM

I'm really sorry for the trouble this is causing!

I know the support ninjas have gotten a few reports of clipping problems since Firefox added support for the services menu - I don't think we've had a chance to write a plugin specifically for Firefox since they added support for the services menu: the generic-app-that-supports-services one is likely getting used.

In any case, if folks that encounter this email the [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL], they can add votes for that change in the development database. The number of folks requesting a given change is one of the metrics the team uses while planning their work.

Brian 2010-05-27 04:18 PM

Hmmm... Firefox has some applescript support, but my 30-second examination seems to indicate that it's pretty limited. This may pose a problem, since we depend on Applescript to pull more information out of the window you're clipping from.

(Example: you can get the title of a Firefox window, but I can't find a way to get the text of the URL field.)

Brian 2010-05-27 04:26 PM

HI I MAKE LOTS OF POSTS IN SERIES. :-)

The bookmarklet on [URL="http://people.omnigroup.com/kc/OmniFocus/SendToOmniFocusBookmarklet.html"]this page[/URL] may be a useful workaround - it uses JavaScript instead of AppleScript.

sooinlee1 2010-05-27 08:25 PM

Brain, thank you for your series of replies! :-) You get the URL in the note if you select the URL and then press a hot key for clipping. It just doubles the entries. I will check the bookmarklet that you suggested.

Thanks,
SL

sooinlee1 2010-05-27 08:30 PM

Yay, the bookmarklet works like a charm!

Much thanks,
SL

Bill.Raynor 2011-04-03 11:18 AM

Firefox 4 and Omnifocus 1.8.2

The service Omnifocus: Send to Inbox works fine from the URL bar in FireFox 4, but when I highlight some text and attempt to use the same service, it fails. Omnifocus gives the error message:
"[FONT="Verdana"]Unable to paste using type “Apple HTML pasteboard type”.
Invalid destination location"[/FONT]
and then gives a popup labeled [FONT="Verdana"]"The script handler failed[/FONT]." and a dump of the script or script handler.

The same service works just fine in Safari. How do I get this to work in Firefox. (Other than opening the URL in Safari...)

Chaz2010 2011-06-03 07:39 AM

Ditto

[QUOTE=Bill.Raynor;95453]The service Omnifocus: Send to Inbox works fine from the URL bar in FireFox 4, but when I highlight some text and attempt to use the same service, it fails. Omnifocus gives the error message:
"[FONT="Verdana"]Unable to paste using type “Apple HTML pasteboard type”.
Invalid destination location"[/FONT]
and then gives a popup labeled [FONT="Verdana"]"The script handler failed[/FONT]." and a dump of the script or script handler.

The same service works just fine in Safari. How do I get this to work in Firefox. (Other than opening the URL in Safari...)[/QUOTE]I'm having the same problem...

Brian 2011-06-03 01:54 PM

Chaz, I'm merging this thread with another one that (I think) covers the problem that you and the original poster were both encountering. Just posting here in the original thread to make sure you get any notifications you're subscribed to. Hope the info in the combined thread helps!

evelynwright 2011-06-12 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;98277]Chaz, I'm merging this thread with another one that (I think) covers the problem that you and the original poster were both encountering. Just posting here in the original thread to make sure you get any notifications you're subscribed to. Hope the info in the combined thread helps![/QUOTE]

Brian, I can't find this new thread... I'm having exactly the same problem and would love to solve it.

The bookmarklet appears to send a URL, but how can one clip text?

Thanks,
EW