The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A Status Bar request (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=397)

myckmack 2006-05-06 04:47 AM

A Status Bar request

When the mouse is over a link (with or without Command/Shift/alt keys) , the Status Bar show the address of that link. It would be a great thing that it also displays if the link will open in a tab active or inactive, or a window active or inactive (as Safari do).

marc 2006-05-06 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=myckmack]When the mouse is over a link (with or without Command/Shift/alt keys) , the Status Bar show the address of that link. It would be a great thing that it also displays if the link will open in a tab active or inactive, or a window active or inactive (as Safari do).[/QUOTE]
I think this one has been touched on from time to time, on the mailing list at least.

FWIW I've made this request and received a positive response, but probably post-5.5. :)

NickM 2006-05-06 07:04 PM

I have a different status bar request: Is there some way to make the status bar never go away? It often disappears on my omniweb windows for some reason and it's annoying to have to bring it back.

Forrest 2006-05-06 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=NickM]I have a different status bar request: Is there some way to make the status bar never go away? It often disappears on my omniweb windows for some reason and it's annoying to have to bring it back.[/QUOTE]

qfe. I know I can hit command+/, but sometimes that gets old.

Len Case 2006-05-06 09:10 PM

There was a bug in sp7 which was fixed in sp8.

From the release notes:[LIST][*]Don't let background tabs add or remove the status bar[/LIST]

Forrest 2006-05-06 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=Len Case]There was a bug in sp7 which was fixed in sp8.

From the release notes:[LIST][*]Don't let background tabs add or remove the status bar[/LIST][/QUOTE]

I saw that, but it doesn't seem to describe the issue I have. (And this is an issue in 5.1.3 too, fwiw.) The issue is, occasionally when I click on a link and it opens in a new window, the status bar is gone. This happens in the foreground, not the background.

Maybe the fix was for both, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out.

Len Case 2006-05-06 10:18 PM

If the window is opened by javascript it has the ability to hide the toolbar and status bar.

Back in 5.1 you could prevent that by using the Security preference to not allow javascript to resize windows but we now allow javascript to alter the window size if there is no history or other tabs in the window (so that popups will size correctly).

Does that seem to be the trouble or is it some other issue?

Forrest 2006-05-06 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=Len Case]If the window is opened by javascript it has the ability to hide the toolbar and status bar.

Back in 5.1 you could prevent that by using the Security preference to not allow javascript to resize windows but we now allow javascript to alter the window size if there is no history or other tabs in the window (so that popups will size correctly).

Does that seem to be the trouble or is it some other issue?[/QUOTE]

The issue you describe makes sense. Typically one can tell the difference between an HTML new window and a JS new window... and the instances I'm thinking of were likely HTML but I'm not positive. I will send you more info when I'm able to reproduce it.

Forrest 2006-05-11 11:01 AM

I'm not sure what created it, but I haven't turned off the status bar (and it's still visible in open windows.) However, when I create a new window (command+n) the resulting window has no status bar. This is in sp10.

JKT 2006-05-11 12:27 PM

Save Window Size? Workspace snapshot?