The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Additional filtering option? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5500)

ksrhee 2007-11-11 03:38 AM

Additional filtering option?

The recent addition of filters for the planning view to filter out projects/subprojects has been great. Since I have a lot of projects/subprojects, it is really helpful to see only projects/subprojects that have items that matches filter (e.g., flags).

Now I'm wondering whey couldn't we have the same thing for task status (available, remaining, etc).

The way I'm using this feature now is for me to flag all the items so that the filter works to my satisfaction (clears away the clutter on the right pane so that I can focus on projects that have action items). Since the sidebar still shows all my projects, I don't see any reason why I want to keep seeing blank projects/subprojects on the right pane. So, additional filtering capability would be great for me.

Any thoughts from Omni?

curt.clifton 2007-11-11 05:50 AM

I think your suggestion is a good one.

In the current implementation have you tried just selecting the projects in the sidebar and using the Focus command? That seems far easier than trying to use flags for the same purpose.

ksrhee 2007-11-11 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;24391]I think your suggestion is a good one.

In the current implementation have you tried just selecting the projects in the sidebar and using the Focus command? That seems far easier than trying to use flags for the same purpose.[/QUOTE]

I have when I want to focus on a particular project, but there are times (most of time in my case) when I want to browse all the relevant action items by selecting the library heading. This is where the additional filtering really comes in handy.

Tim Wood 2007-11-12 11:51 PM

[QUOTE=ksrhee;24386]Now I'm wondering whey couldn't we have the same thing for task status (available, remaining, etc).[/QUOTE]

The reason we had for not dropping project headers when there are no available/remaining actions is that a project may legitimately not have any actions (say, if you just created it, or if you are about to review it to possibly add more actions or mark it completed).

In these cases, you need the project row to have something under which to add new action rows.

ksrhee 2007-11-13 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=Tim Wood;24551]The reason we had for not dropping project headers when there are no available/remaining actions is that a project may legitimately not have any actions (say, if you just created it, or if you are about to review it to possibly add more actions or mark it completed).

In these cases, you need the project row to have something under which to add new action rows.[/QUOTE]

I understand, but I think it would be easier for me to change the filter to show all actions first before entering a new action, or I can use the quick entry. As my project list grows, the real estate I see my actions gets too crowded as is. Since duration and flag fields are now filters, I have to change it to enter a new task if I am using one of those filters activated anyway.

I guess it all comes down to whether I consider the action status as a filter, and in my case, I do, and this makes hiding of not relevant projects helpful.