The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Attaching links to files in a task note (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13558)

bpwhistler 2009-08-28 01:54 AM

Attaching links to files in a task note

I seem to be having difficulty with something I'm assuming should be much easier. I have a .mov file and a .xls file I want to reference (link to) in the notes field of a task. When I drag either of these files or an alias to the notes field, it copies the preview of the entire file rather than adding a link to the file.

How do I just add a link to the file, so that when I click on it it will open the intended file?

curt.clifton 2009-08-28 04:19 PM

Hold down the control key while dragging.

bpwhistler 2009-08-30 05:27 AM

Hi Curt...I was excited to get such an easy answer. However, when I control click on a file, it opens the same contextual menu as when I right-click on it. I'm unable to drag it at all.

Cheers

curt.clifton 2009-08-30 07:12 AM

Click and begin the drag like normal. Then hold down the control key. A little loopy arrow will be added to the cursor signifying that you're creating a link.

This is a common Mac OS drag technique. Different modifiers change the "drop" in different ways. For example, option typically means "create a copy". You can use this in most text editing applications. Select some text. Click and hold on it for a half second to begin a drag. Drag a bit, then hold down the option key before releasing. A copy of the dragged text will be created when you release the mouse button.

Greg Jones 2009-08-30 07:24 AM

Curt is correct on the keystroke behaviors for dragging files, but I'm curious exactly what you are seeing when you drag a file into the note field? The default behavior in OmniFocus when dragging a file into the note field is to create a link to the file on disk. It's possible to also embed a file into the OF document, but linked files and embedded files look exactly the same in the note field of OmniFocus desktop. A double-click will open the document in its native application and a right-click or the space bar will give a Quick Look of the file. Can you describe, or attach a screen dump, of what you are seeing in the note field when a document is attached?

bpwhistler 2009-08-30 07:58 AM

@Curt...I don't have any change in my cursor (or the addition of "a little loopy arrow") on performing this. Are there system settings I could have changed? If so, I couldn't find them in my System Preferences.

@Greg...I'm embarrassed to say I tried to attach some screenshots...but don't know how to determine the URL of the file on my desktop. I have to admit that I haven't had to know this sort of thing since quitting Windows years ago.

whpalmer4 2009-08-30 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=bpwhistler;65658]
@Greg...I'm embarrassed to say I tried to attach some screenshots...but don't know how to determine the URL of the file on my desktop. I have to admit that I haven't had to know this sort of thing since quitting Windows years ago.[/QUOTE]
When posting to the forum, click on the Manage Attachments button in the Additional Options section (which may be collapsed, but should always be present). You'll get a new window that will let you choose the file you want to attach to a posting, then upload it. You can attach up to 4 or 5 per post.

A different way to do it, if you want more control over size, placement in the message, etc. is to use a hosting service such as [URL="http://imageshack.us"]http://imageshack.us[/URL] which will host the image for you and supply a URL that you can then insert in your post at the desired spot.

bpwhistler 2009-08-30 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
@whpalmer4...thanks. I have my preferences set to open new windows in a new tab in my browser...and I wasn't seeing the new tab. After reading your post, I checked and found 6 or 7 "Manage Attachments" tabs open.

@Greg...here is the OF message I receive when I drop the file into the notes field of a task (either regular click-drag-drop or click-drag-control-drop...which doesn't appear to show the little arrow Curt mentioned)
[ATTACH]1054[/ATTACH]

And this is what it looks like after I attach it. It's a movie file, and this is the first frame of the clip.
[ATTACH]1055[/ATTACH]

The 2nd picture takes up just about the full screen of my laptop after dropping the file in the notes field.

kaijin 2009-08-30 01:10 PM

As Greg jones pointed out, a link should be created by default in OF, not an embedded file.

Instead of drag-control, try command-option-drag. The curved arrow should appear over your file image indicating an alias.

Greg Jones 2009-08-30 02:35 PM

That is really strange. I have [i]never[/i] seen anything like that when attaching/linking files in OmniFocus. The only other thing I can suggest that you try is to link the file directly from within OmniFocus. Try the 'Edit>Attach File...' command, select your file and make sure that the button is selected to make a link to the file.