The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone is now available! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=14952)

Ken Case 2010-01-07 10:08 PM

OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone is now available!

OmniFocus 1.6 is a major update to OmniFocus, with sync performance improvements, animated list updates, better access to Quick Entry, integration with other applications, experimental support for perspectives, and more. We hope you enjoy this update, and we look forward to your feedback!

[URL="http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284885288&mt=8"][IMG]http://www.omnigroup.com/images/applications/omnifocus/iphone/app_store_badge.png[/IMG][/URL]

[B]Performance[/B]
[LIST][*]Syncing multiple changes from the sync server should be dramatically faster. (Syncing is over five times faster for several of our test cases.)
[*]Removed a workaround for an HTTP authentication bug in iPhone OS 2.x, eliminating an extra round trip to the sync server for each synchronized change.
[*]OmniFocus now automatically compacts its database history when synchronization is disabled, rather than building up more and more history (which made OmniFocus slower and slower).
[*]Reduced memory usage in a number of places.[/LIST]
[B]Animation[/B]
[LIST][*]List updates are now animated and immediate: When you check off a repeating item, the old item checks off and fades from view while the new item slides in from the right. Similarly, if you check off an item in a sequential project which was blocking several other items, you'll see it check off and fade out while the newly available items it was blocking slide in from the side of the screen. (This is clearer to see than to explain!)[/LIST]
[B]Quick Entry[/B]
[LIST][*]It wasn't very clear that Quick Entry is available while the database loads, so we've added a "Quick Entry" label on the loading screen to help draw more attention to that button.
[*]Quick Entry is now also available while updating with synced data.
[*]Quick Entry can now be used more than once in a row while a progress bar is visible.
[*]Quick Entry no longer displays fields which can't be used while the database is unavailable (such as context, project, and repeat).[/LIST]
[B]App Integration[/B]
[LIST][*]OmniFocus can now accept tasks from other applications! As a demo of this functionality, there's now an "Install Safari Bookmarklet" option under Experimental Settings (to install a bookmarklet which sends your current web page from Safari to OmniFocus).[/LIST]
[B]Perspectives[/B]
[LIST][*]Added experimental support for synchronizing perspectives from the Mac version of OmniFocus. This is still a work in progress, and currently only supports non-hierarchical (Context mode) perspectives. You can enable support for Perspectives under Experimental Settings, at which point you'll see a new Perspectives top-level item in the Home screen.[/LIST]
[B]Workflow[/B]
[LIST][*]Actions which have been deferred (by setting a future start date) will no longer appear in lists of available or due soon actions. (After all, that's the purpose of deferring an action!) Deferred actions which are overdue will continue to appear in the Overdue list. ("Overdue" still trumps "Deferred".)
[*]Inbox items now show up in Context lists. (This behavior will be customizable in the future for those who would prefer to use the Inbox as a triage dumping ground rather than a work area.)
[*]When a project is on hold or otherwise inactive, its actions are no longer considered to be available.[/LIST]
[B]General[/B]
[LIST][*]The default filename for the reminder calendar is now OmniFocus-Reminders.ics rather than DueSoon.ics, and settings for the reminder calendar are now synchronized between all clients (including OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac) rather than being stored as a local preference. Please feel free to remove your old DueSoon.ics calendar and any subscriptions to it.
[*]Added support for viewing RTF attachments.
[*]Updated localizable content.[/LIST]
[B]Counters[/B]
[LIST][*]When projects are configured to show all items, they will show a count of all items within the project rather than just the "remaining" (unfinished) items.
[*]When context lists are configured to show only "next" actions, contexts will now display a count of the number of next actions they contain.
[*]Fixed a bug where syncing a change to an action's start date wouldn't always change its context's count of available actions.
[*]Fixed a bug where project lists would sometimes display "-1 overdue" (or "-1 due soon") when the project itself was past (or approaching) its due date but blocked from actually becoming due (such as when its parent folder was dropped, or the project itself was deferred).
[*]Item counts in context lists are now properly updated when a change to an item's context is synchronized from another copy of OmniFocus.[/LIST]
[B]Interface[/B]
[LIST][*]While updating with synced data, the progress bar now shows meaningful progress updates.
[*]The Nearby Contexts list now only shows contexts which are within 50km (~30 miles) by default. You can change this by using a settings link to update the NearbyDistanceLimit setting (specified in km).
[*]Fixed an issue where the sync password prompt wouldn't always appear.
[*]Eliminated some flicker in the toolbar when navigating from one screen to another.
[*]On the Nearby list, contexts which are at the same distance (or are being edited) are now sorted by their order from the Contexts list (rather than alphabetically or randomly).
[*]You can now delete actions from lists which group actions into sections (such as the All Actions and Nearby lists).[/LIST]
[B]Bugs[/B]
[LIST][*]Fixed a bug which could cause the Due Soon, Overdue, and Flagged lists to be out of date.
[*]When a project appears in a search list, checking it off now correctly changes its state to Done.[/LIST]
[B]Synchronization[/B]
[LIST][*]As noted above, synchronization is now dramatically faster in some cases.
[*]A sync progress bar now appears when updating the database with synchronized changes.
[*]Fixed a problem which could cause sync database incompatibilities if you synced from a non-list screen (e.g. when editing an action, project, or context), made some edits, but didn't sync those edits before exiting OmniFocus.
[*]When OmniFocus defers synchronization because it's displaying a modal screen which doesn't want automatic changes applied while it's active, they now get applied as soon as you leave that screen (rather than waiting for a subsequent screen transition).
[*]While prompting for a sync password, autosync will no longer try to start a second sync.
[*]Improved error reporting when attempting to sync with some Windows WebDAV servers.[/LIST]
[B]Stability[/B]
[LIST][*]Fixed a Nearby List crash encountered when leaving Edit mode just as a context finished looking up its address.
[*]Fixed a Nearby Map crash encountered when leaving Edit mode as a new dropped pin finished looking up its address.
[*]Fixed a crash on the Nearby Map or List which could happen when the location manager reported a change to the device's current location.
[*]Fixed a crash encountered when trying to quit the app while the progress bar is up.
[*]Fixed a crash encountered when an address for a map location is received from the network after leaving the Map screen.
[*]Fixed a crash encountered when leaving Quick Entry.
[*]Fixed a bug with jittery/flashy/crashy behavior encountered when editing the context list in the Nearby screen.
[*]Fixed some crashes triggered by deleting items from a list.
[*]Fixed some crashes encountered when checking off items on the Nearby list.[/LIST]
We love hearing from you! You can reach us by tapping Send Feedback on the Settings screen, sending email to [URL="mailto:omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com[/URL], tweeting to [URL="http://twitter.com/omnifocus"]@omnifocus[/URL], or calling 1-800-315-OMNI or +1 206-523-4152.

beharkey 2010-01-07 10:37 PM

Can't wait! Has the update been submitted to the App Store yet?

danielvnielsen 2010-01-07 11:36 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Once again you've read my mind and fixed just about every thing that bygged me about OF for iPhone.

Can't wait to get this baby on my iPhone.

Ulmisch 2010-01-07 11:42 PM

Folks, this is so great to here!
Many great Improvements!

Can´t wait to see it on the appstore!

Thanks!!

brab 2010-01-08 01:11 AM

Do we have real synchronization now (i.e. when both instances are modified, changes are merged)?

I've stopped using OF for the iPhone because I was getting synchronization errors very often. I would then have to choose between my phone or desktop database, both of them having changes, thus losing one set of them (without even having the opportunity to know what the changes were).

ianbetteridge 2010-01-08 01:41 AM

Ken, thanks for the update on 1.6, and thank you for continuing development on this great product!

I know I'm being cheeky, but can you share any thoughts on what you might want 2.0 to have in it? :)

Ken Case 2010-01-08 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=beharkey;71467]Can't wait! Has the update been submitted to the App Store yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was submitted before I posted. (However, there are a lot of apps being sent to Apple every day, so it's hard to know how long the review process might take. And if they find something we missed that we'll need to fix, it could take even longer.)

[QUOTE=brab;71472]Do we have real synchronization now (i.e. when both instances are modified, changes are merged)?

I've stopped using OF for the iPhone because I was getting synchronization errors very often. I would then have to choose between my phone or desktop database, both of them having changes, thus losing one set of them (without even having the opportunity to know what the changes were).[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you were running into this problem, which is now fixed:
[INDENT]Fixed a problem which could cause sync database incompatibilities if you synced from a non-list screen (e.g. when editing an action, project, or context), made some edits, but didn't sync those edits before exiting OmniFocus.[/INDENT]
If you're curious about implementation details, the underlying problem in this situation was that the sync database thought the iPhone had already synced all its changes—which it had, up to that point—so it compacted the sync history. But the changes-in-progress on the iPhone were based on its older pre-sync state, so when those changes were saved they caused the database to become incompatible (because the sync database was missing the history it needed to understand how to merge them).

[QUOTE=ianbetteridge;71476]I know I'm being cheeky, but can you share any thoughts on what you might want 2.0 to have in it? :)[/QUOTE]

Later. :) (Next up: OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac!)

starfish84 2010-01-08 07:54 AM

This update sounds great! Question, though: you say that there will be an experimental feature for perspectives to be synced from a Mac. I only use OF for my iPod, since I don't have a Mac. Will the ability to use perspectives be available without syncing?

Ken Case 2010-01-08 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=starfish84;71492]This update sounds great! Question, though: you say that there will be an experimental feature for perspectives to be synced from a Mac. I only use OF for my iPod, since I don't have a Mac. Will the ability to use perspectives be available without syncing?[/QUOTE]

We'd like to do that eventually, but I'm afraid it's not in this release. (There isn't yet an iPhone interface for creating or editing perspectives, so the only way to get a perspective on the iPhone is to create it on a Mac and sync it over.)

brab 2010-01-08 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;71489]
If you're curious about implementation details, the underlying problem in this situation was that the sync database thought the iPhone had already synced all its changes—which it had, up to that point—so it compacted the sync history. But the changes-in-progress on the iPhone were based on its older pre-sync state, so when those changes were saved they caused the database to become incompatible (because the sync database was missing the history it needed to understand how to merge them).[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. So it is able to merge changes when done on both sides. Excellent news!