The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   zoom window behavior vs. other browsers (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=2258)

FredH 2006-11-26 07:26 PM

zoom window behavior vs. other browsers

I sometimes work on my laptop while attached to an external monitor. It seems that other browsers are able to handle the change in window size better than OW. If my window takes up the full vertical space on my laptop, it will be too small once I go to my larger monitor. Other browsers are the same way. But in Firefox and Camino, if I hit zoom it will fit the full vertical space. In OW, hitting the zoom button is useless, it makes the window even smaller. So I've got to readjust manually.

I've tried experimenting with the save window size option. Is there any way around this, or does OW have its own way of doing this that prevents it? I don't know if zoom just follows the Apple guidelines or what, but I don't see how it could be an improvement over other browsers in this respect.

Edit: Actually it seems that zoom behavior is not consistent, I just tried it on a workspace window that didn't fill the screen, then it filled the vertical space. I could never figure out that damn zoom button!

JKT 2006-11-27 01:03 PM

The zoom will occur to fit the contents. I would guess that when the page did not fill the vertical height of your monitor, it was because the contents of the site you visited were less than the height of the display. If you are viewing a page that exceeds the vertical height of your display area, then the zoom button should fit the vertical height of your display (you might have to click more than once as it toggles between two views - the last size of the window and the full size of the contents). This is consistent with the Apple Guidelines.

However, way back in OmniWeb 4.x days you used to be able to press modifier keys that would allow you to modify this behaviour so that e.g. the window would zoom to fit the horizontal content only and not the vertical content, and vice versa. Unless someone from OmniGroup wants to say any different, the only one that still exists (as far as I can tell.. I can't remember the other key-click combinations any more as I never used them) is the shift-clicking of the Zoom button which makes the window fill the screen.

zottel 2006-11-28 10:51 AM

BTW, the OS X UI standard is that apps should behave as OW does—that is, zoom the window to the size that is needed for the content, or to full screen if the content is bigger than that. There are several applications, though, that don't follow that standard—use the button as a maximize/restore button like in windows, or other stuff, like Apple's own iTunes, e.g..

JKT 2006-11-28 01:44 PM

Yes, iTunes is particularly annoying in that respect. Granted it should have the minimalistic player, but hitting the Zoom button should toggle between the three states of default window size, fit to contents (effectively fill screen) and minimised player instead of just between default size and minimised player. TextEdit and Preview are two other Apple apps that exhibit really annoying non-standard Zoom behaviour...

Len Case 2006-12-06 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=JKT]However, way back in OmniWeb 4.x days you used to be able to press modifier keys that would allow you to modify this behaviour so that e.g. the window would zoom to fit the horizontal content only and not the vertical content, and vice versa. Unless someone from OmniGroup wants to say any different, the only one that still exists (as far as I can tell.. I can't remember the other key-click combinations any more as I never used them) is the shift-clicking of the Zoom button which makes the window fill the screen.[/QUOTE]

Command-click will try to fit the horizontal content.